Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royal Cruz, thank you for sharing all of your information. Can we walk to Gilbert's (highly rated on Tripadviser and highly recommended on a FLL restaurant thread) from either Renaissance or Embassy Suites on 17th Street? Also, has anyone heard any negatives about the Hilton Marina? We need to book a hotel for Fri. night prior to our 2/23 cruise. Should I expect prices to be high that weekend? I welcome any advice on hotel preference from those mentioned.

Royal Cruz, thank you for sharing all of your information. Can we walk to Gilbert's (highly rated on Tripadviser and highly recommended on a FLL restaurant thread) from either Renaissance or Embassy Suites on 17th Street? Also, has anyone heard any negatives about the Hilton Marina? We need to book a hotel for Fri. night prior to our 2/23 cruise. Should I expect prices to be high that weekend? I welcome any advice on hotel preference from those mentioned.

Gilbert's is closer to ES but you can walk from Ren too (a few blocks). I have read some negative reviews about Hilton Marina here and on Tripadvisor, but I can't remember the specifics. Even with everything I have read I would think it would be fine. The location is great for water taxi, but it's a bit further to walk to places on 17th St, and the furthest of the 3 from Total Wine and Publix. I did notice yesterday that PeiWei, Chipotle and Shula's Burgers will soon be opening a few blocks away. Hotel prices will be highest November through April. I think that all of the hotels you mentioned will be fine so personally I would decide based on price. Renaissance is the most business-style of the hotels and probably gets the most consistantly good reviews but it isn't interesting at all.

Edited by royalcruz

we are traveling with a group (approx 12-14 ppl). Can you recommend a shuttle service to take us to Port Everglades?

Most CC members use SAS, Quality Limo Service, and Larry's Limos. If you are in the port, beach (south of Sunrise Blvd), or airport area, taxis are usually the most inexpensive way to go.

We're flying in on Saturday, February 23rd for a cruise the following day. The hotel prices for that day are much higher than current prices. Should I wait before purchasing or is this a supply/demand effect of everyone fleeing the approaching winter?

We're looking for a clean room that's convenient to picking up wine/sodas and has easy travel from the airport and to the dock.

Gilbert's is closer to ES but you can walk from Ren too (a few blocks). I have read some negative reviews about Hilton Marina here and on Tripadvisor, but I can't remember the specifics. Even with everything I have read I would think it would be fine. The location is great for water taxi, but it's a bit further to walk to places on 17th St, and the furthest of the 3 from Total Wine and Publix. I did notice yesterday that PeiWei, Chipotle and Shula's Burgers will soon be opening a few blocks away. Hotel prices will be highest November through April. I think that all of the hotels you mentioned will be fine so personally I would decide based on price. Renaissance is the most business-style of the hotels and probably gets the most consistantly good reviews but it isn't interesting at all.

Thank you for the information. One more question, and I apologize if it has already been answered somewhere else on this thread. Is there a website for the water taxi that shows the stops?

We're flying in on Saturday, February 23rd for a cruise the following day. The hotel prices for that day are much higher than current prices. Should I wait before purchasing or is this a supply/demand effect of everyone fleeing the approaching winter?

We're looking for a clean room that's convenient to picking up wine/sodas and has easy travel from the airport and to the dock.

Just my thought, if your cruising so are another 10,000 or so people all wanting just one night or maybe two. Join AAA and get a discount. You can even check with your TA they sometimes have serious pull that we can't even using a multitude of different rates. Also check your credit cards some companies have deals worked out with CHAIN hotels. You just have to book thru the Credit Card website. Call and ask what is the best rate you can give me I see it on "insert name of travel website" for "XXXX". I have had them meet, beat, and upgrade based on this method. Also book online directly thru the chain's websites. Alot of them have online specials. All just thoughts.....

Edited by Roxymax

President's Day is the Monday of that week (Feb. 18), so it's the last overnight of February vacation for many of the schools in the Northeast, with many folks leaving on Sunday. That's more likely what's causing the supply/demand effect. It's a bad week.

We will be in town for one day, January 11. What is the weather like that time of year? I was interested in that water taxi 2 for 1 deal and was concerned that it might be cold on the water. We were planning to shop in Harbor Shop area and was wondering if you had a casual dining restaurant you could recommend for dinner. Not interested in noisy place nor outside dining. Thanks for your advise.

Linda

We will be in town for one day, January 11. What is the weather like that time of year? I was interested in that water taxi 2 for 1 deal and was concerned that it might be cold on the water. We were planning to shop in Harbor Shop area and was wondering if you had a casual dining restaurant you could recommend for dinner. Not interested in noisy place nor outside dining. Thanks for your advise.

Linda

South Florida is a fickle on the weather. I have seen shorts and halter tops in Jan. as well as Heavy coats and long pants. I have seen crops freeze just to turn around an be scorched by the heat 72 hours later! Last Jan. I boarded the ship in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Sorry I can't be much help.

Prices are high in February. Book a cancellable room now and keep checking for price drops. Some good low-priced hotels that offer what you want(and complimentary breakfast) are Sleep Inn Dania, Hampton Inn FLL north, and Best Western Plus on SR 84. They have free airport shuttles, but some have started charging for port shuttles now.

Linda

It does get cold in January. In the daytime under the sun it will probably be ok (60-70), so board the water taxi as soon as it starts to get the most of it.

In the Harbor Shops I like Duffy's, but it gets noisy if there is a game on. Some CC members like Joe's Cafe...I was there once, last week, but the service was unfriendly and I was served a cold omelette, so I can't recommend it personally. Gilbert's and 5 Guys Burgers are also there.

Hi,

We are looking at the Crowne Plaza for two nights before our cruise in February (President's week). The prices are very high for that week. Last year we tried the Embassy Suites and did not like it (room cleanliness issue). Would you recommend the Crown Plaza ? I am hesitating because of the location. Any other recommandation ? We are a family of 4 (with two teenagers) Thank you for your advise.

Ann

Hi,

We are looking at the Crowne Plaza for two nights before our cruise in February (President's week). The prices are very high for that week. Last year we tried the Embassy Suites and did not like it (room cleanliness issue). Would you recommend the Crown Plaza ? I am hesitating because of the location. Any other recommandation ? We are a family of 4 (with two teenagers) Thank you for your advise.

Ann

I can't tell you if the CP rooms are clean. The location is fine for a one night stay, but for 2 nights you would probably enjoy a more central location. If you have a car it's fine. Have you checked reviews on Renaissance and Holiday Inn Express Convention Center? The location is better.

ok question if anyone has has stayed at the

SpringHill Suites By Marriott

151 Southwest 18th Court,

Dania Beach, Florida 33004

We are looking in to stay there and have 2 different times family coming in and they have airport shuttle free and will allow all 5 stay in one suite. $10 pp for shuttle to port didn't know anyone know anything better. I am able to get federal gov. rate $164

thanks for any help.

ok question if anyone has has stayed at the

SpringHill Suites By Marriott

151 Southwest 18th Court,

Dania Beach, Florida 33004

We are looking in to stay there and have 2 different times family coming in and they have airport shuttle free and will allow all 5 stay in one suite. $10 pp for shuttle to port didn't know anyone know anything better. I am able to get federal gov. rate $164

thanks for any help.

We will be staying there for 2 nights pre-cruise at the end of November. We got a good deal on Hotwire.

The $10 pp for the shuttle to port is only if you are having a return shuttle (for example if you park cars there and need to get back again at the end of your cruise). If you are having one-way only, the port shuttle is free.

We will be staying there for 2 nights pre-cruise at the end of November. We got a good deal on Hotwire.

The $10 pp for the shuttle to port is only if you are having a return shuttle (for example if you park cars there and need to get back again at the end of your cruise). If you are having one-way only, the port shuttle is free.

Thanks for letting me know. Oh I took that it was $10 pp to the port for shuttle. That is great cause I don't need to come back. Now are you taking a shuttle from cruise port to airport. Don't know what is the best way to do that. Please come back and let me know what you think of the place?

ok another question for you...if you don't mind how much did you have to pay on Hotwire? which one was it when you picked it from Hotwire?

Something when I called their toll free number they are the one that told me the fee was $10 and when I called the hotel itself and asked they said it is free to the cruise port and then they offer even if you want to have the shuttle to the airport from the cruise port they then will do it for $10 pp for you. So I think that is what I will be doing. Thanks...sure hope you enjoy the place!

Thank you again...was so happy to know I don't have to pay from hotel to port! :)

Thanks for letting me know. Oh I took that it was $10 pp to the port for shuttle. That is great cause I don't need to come back. Now are you taking a shuttle from cruise port to airport. Don't know what is the best way to do that. Please come back and let me know what you think of the place?

As far as I can gather from reviews by others who have stayed there you should book the port shuttle at reception pretty much as soon as you arrive. Apparently there are several different time slots.

For the return it depends on whether your flight is from FLL or MIA. As we're transatlantic, we've booked a post-cruise excursion which drops us and our luggage off at MIA afterwards. There are excursions ending in FLL too but since there are 5 of you that would probably be quite expensive, plus it depends on your flight time. Some posters say a cab to FLL is cheap and easy, while others suggest hiring a car for the day as a good option if you have a flight later in the day.

ok another question for you...if you don't mind how much did you have to pay on Hotwire? which one was it when you picked it from Hotwire?

Something when I called their toll free number they are the one that told me the fee was $10 and when I called the hotel itself and asked they said it is free to the cruise port and then they offer even if you want to have the shuttle to the airport from the cruise port they then will do it for $10 pp for you. So I think that is what I will be doing. Thanks...sure hope you enjoy the place!

Thank you again...was so happy to know I don't have to pay from hotel to port! :)

To book on Hotwire I filtered the hotels for 3-star and above in the Fort Lauderdale Intl Airport and Las Olas areas on the basis of recommendations from other CC users and then used better bidding dot com to help me work out which hotels they were likely to be - also thanks to recommendations from other CC users (this site is so helpful). This hotel had free breakfast and the description said suites so I was pretty sure before I booked what it was going to be. It cost 140 euros altogether for one room, two nights, two people. That's about 180 USD, give or take a little on the exchange rate. The rates vary depending on date, length of stay and number of people, so it could be completely different for your family.

Glad to have helped with the shuttle. :) I'll be happy to post back after we've stayed to say how it was. The reviews on Tripadvisor are a bit mixed, so we're keeping our fingers crossed it's going to be ok.

if you want to have the shuttle to the airport from the cruise port they then will do it for $10 pp for you. So I think that is what I will be doing.

If you are going from the Fort Laud port to the Fort Laud airport is only costs about $15 per taxi and there will be a line of taxis waiting to get you so you don't need any reservations for shuttles.

If you are going from the Fort Laud port to the Fort Laud airport is only costs about $15 per taxi and there will be a line of taxis waiting to get you so you don't need any reservations for shuttles.

Thanks haven't decided yet...but there is 5 of us...so most likely I will do the shuttle from the motel cause they only charge $10 and that would be saved $25....I have to save any way I can on things that don't matter since I am mom paying for all this it is a christmas present to all my grown children to take a vacation together again. It was hard to pull together this when I was dealing with 3 different states coming in.

The way it looks on mapquest don't see many restaurants around there?

Thanks haven't decided yet...but there is 5 of us...so most likely I will do the shuttle from the motel cause they only charge $10 and that would be saved $25....I have to save any way I can on things that don't matter since I am mom paying for all this it is a christmas present to all my grown children to take a vacation together again. It was hard to pull together this when I was dealing with 3 different states coming in.

Are you sure that the shuttle isn't $10 per person? Most shuttles are priced per person. If so, even taking 2 taxis would likely be cheaper ($30 v $50). And most people tip the shuttle driver as well.

Edited by dread_pirate

I've never heard of shuttle charging per van so it will most likely cost $50 for your family of 5. There are a few restaurants across Stirling Rd from the hotel.