Glacier Bay - port ot starboard?

caber

Most of our trips into Glacier Bay the starboard cabins were closest to land as the ships traveled into the bay on the right, NE side. We traveled back out on the SW side of the bay. On the two recent Holland trips we were bow towards Margerie Glacier and then back and forth 45 degrees or so for about an hour. The ship didn’t sit port or starboard towards the glacier as many do.

If you stay in your cabin, particularly in this area, you will always miss something. There are also frequent humpback sightings beginning an hour or so prior to entering the bay at Bartlett Cove and also extending into the bay. We were surrounded by them once and the captain couldn’t keep up with the announcements. It was a very good day.

We always have an aft balcony directly over the wake. We love sitting there when we are leaving the Marjorie Glacier and sailing out of Glacier Bay. The view of the mountains and glacier are incredible. During the approach and while at Marjorie Glacier, I love being on deck and moving around, although I spend most of my time forward or along the side facing the glacier.

I can't wait to see Glacier Bay. We will be n the Star. We have balconies but wondering if the views are better somewhere else. I know on dock they should be but we are going early May. Any plac S on the ship where the view is great but we won't be tooo cold?

I can't wait to see Glacier Bay. We will be n the Star. We have balconies but wondering if the views are better somewhere else. I know on dock they should be but we are going early May. Any plac S on the ship where the view is great but we won't be tooo cold?

Balcony is great! Order some room service, sit back, and enjoy the view as it passes before you!

...there is no way for sure to know what side will have the best views.

If you stay on your side of the ship you will see everything on one side of the Bay going in and everything on the other side of the Bay going out.

But, as Keith points out, there may be things to see at any given moment on one side or the other (wildlife, mountain views change with the weather, etc.).

For the remainder of the week, I think it does not matter. It seemed to me there was equal amount of land / scenery on both sides of the ship. Before our trip I was thinking a Northbound trip would have better views from starboard, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.

For the remainder of the week, I think it does not matter. It seemed to me there was equal amount of land / scenery on both sides of the ship. Before our trip I was thinking a Northbound trip would have better views from starboard, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.

You spend so much time with land on both sides it really doesn't matter.

I am on a Northbound cruise-the Sun from Vancouver to Seward. I sure hope starboard is the best side!

Deck 6 on the Sun is your friend for glaciers. Either stay forward or aft on 6, so you can quickly move from port to starboard. Everyone will want to be on deck 12 or 13, but it will be crowded. You will get excellent pictures from on 6. Check out page 9 of my review to see what Hubbard looked like from the sun last June. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089

I would like to sit on my balcony at least some of the time in Glacier Bay. We are on Nieuw Amsterdam in September, port side. Is there a better side of the ship for viewing? I will be up top also.

Makes no difference as you should be up on deck where you can see both sides instead of sitting in your cabin.

DON