Taku Lodge Float Plane Juneau...

NayaSantaFe

We will be in Juneau from 2pm to 10pm in May and a must on our list are the glaciers. But, unfortunately it seems like we will be unable to do the Tracy Arm excursion because our ship will arrive to late. So, I am looking at other options to see other glaciers besides Mendahall. I came across the float plane tour that takes you to 5 other glaciers, but not sure if it is worth the cost or if there are other ways to see glaciers besides this float plane tour. Please help!:confused:

We will be in Juneau from 2pm to 10pm in May and a must on our list are the glaciers. But, unfortunately it seems like we will be unable to do the Tracy Arm excursion because our ship will arrive to late. So, I am looking at other options to see other glaciers besides Mendahall. I came across the float plane tour that takes you to 5 other glaciers, but not sure if it is worth the cost or if there are other ways to see glaciers besides this float plane tour. Please help!:confused:

I have done this excursion and highly recommend it. Not only do you fly over several glaciers but the lodge is across the river from Taku Glacier. After the salmon dinner, there is an excellent chance of seeing bears around the grill. It is well worth the price.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/taku-lodge/

I have done this excursion and highly recommend it. Not only do you fly over several glaciers but the lodge is across the river from Taku Glacier. After the salmon dinner, there is an excellent chance of seeing bears around the grill. It is well worth the price.

Thanks for your reply!

Is Mendahall Glacier included in the 5 glaciers we will see or do we have to do that one on our own?

Thanks for your reply!

Is Mendahall Glacier included in the 5 glaciers we will see or do we have to do that one on our own?

My float plane took off heading north and banked over the Mendenhall Glacier while gaining altitude. Not sure about take-offs heading south.

• 4 weeks later...
I have done this excursion and highly recommend it. Not only do you fly over several glaciers but the lodge is across the river from Taku Glacier. After the salmon dinner, there is an excellent chance of seeing bears around the grill. It is well worth the price.http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/taku-lodge/

Not sure if I should book the glaciers only or do glaciers and food? In our case it would be an extra $300 to do glaciers and food, is it worth the extra cost?

Only you can decide the "worth." What would you miss out on if you spent that additional money?

Glaciers are a priority for you, what other opportunities do you have?

I haven't been on that excursion - when glaciers were a priority for me, I chose a cruise that had Glacier Bay.

On my next cruise, bears are a priority - so I am paying more for the cruise than I could have on a different date & I am paying a lot for a flight to the area where the bears are feeding on salmon. That may not be "worth it" for others, but it is my priority.

Only you can decide the "worth." What would you miss out on if you spent that additional money?

Glaciers are a priority for you, what other opportunities do you have? I haven't been on that excursion - when glaciers were a priority for me, I chose a cruise that had Glacier Bay.

On my next cruise, bears are a priority - so I am paying more for the cruise than I could have on a different date & I am paying a lot for a flight to the area where the bears are feeding on salmon. That may not be "worth it" for others, but it is my priority.

I would get glaciers either way, so that's not the dilema. It's adding food and spending time in Taku Lodge that makes the $300 difference. I am sure we can find a place to eat in Juneau and spend alot less then $300, but maybe there's something special in Taku Lodge that I shouldn't miss? That's why I wamt the feedback from others that have done this, is it worth the extra chunk of money?

I have same dilemma. We found a float plane tour with the Taku Lodge feast for $315 pp but the flight time is only 30 minutes. Our group feels that is a lot of money for a short flight time. The feast and forest hike looks fabulous but don't think this tour includes five glaciers. Considering other tours for same range ( $299 helicopter Glacier tour with 45 mins flight time and one glacier landing) and a floatplane through Glacier Bay with 1 3/4 hour flight time for $3xx).

Like you, trying to understand where the value is for our money is our challenge. We would like to do it all! If you haven't done any of the options before, it is hard to judge the 'best' option!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The flight over the glaciers is nice but the landing at the lodge, the chance to walk around a bit, the salmon feast, the bear (likely but not guaranteed), was what makes the memory even better. We experienced the landing and take off at the lodge as well as at the Juneau dock. I thought it was worth it for the two of us and my favorite pictures are from the lodge.

We booked this excursion directly with Island Wings for our upcoming cruise on June 5th. I too was torn justifying the price of the flight, feast, lodge experience, etc.... Decided it would be just awesome to see the glaciers from the air, looking forward to getting away from the crowds of people on the ship, in the ports..... and just relaxing at the lodge. Taking a walk through the rainforest, sitting in a rocker on the porch, just relaxing before returning to Juneau. We are planning this as our big expense, but also doing one in to Victoria. Flying from Vancouver in the morning to do a DIY tour of attractions in Victoria. It includes admission and transpsortation to/from Burchart Gardens and round trip flight from Vancouver to Victoria. It cost just a little bit more but allows us the most time in the city versus taking the BC Ferry.

Good luck in your decision making, but I can't wait to experience this excursion!

Just a clarification -- the company to book the Taku lodge/Glacier flight out of Juneau is Wings Airways not Island Wings. Island Wings runs flights out of Ketchikan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Chairsin.....your right! I always get those 2 turned around. Was debating between those 2 excursions and Island Wings was stuck in my head!:)

Absolutely there are numerous "glacier " options. I find helicopter landing also worthwhile. The Juneau icefield is massive and in a constant state of change. Don't be caught up in including "Mendenhall". It isn't any better/worse that other areas- only more known because it's drive up.

Depends if you WANT to have a salmon bake. I will say, Taku Lodge is of high quality. But you could easily add on last minute -Gold Creek Salmon bake out of Juneau, which is also good, just a notch down perhaps, but they do a great job.

Time is a significant factor with flight seeing. They longer you fly- the more you see. Depends YOUR value you place on your experience and money.

Absolutely there are numerous "glacier " options. I find helicopter landing also worthwhile. The Juneau icefield is massive and in a constant state of change. Don't be caught up in including "Mendenhall". It isn't any better/worse that other areas- only more known because it's drive up.

Depends if you WANT to have a salmon bake. I will say, Taku Lodge is of high quality. But you could easily add on last minute -Gold Creek Salmon bake out of Juneau, which is also good, just a notch down perhaps, but they do a great job.

Time is a significant factor with flight seeing. They longer you fly- the more you see. Depends YOUR value you place on your experience and money.

So, after weighing in a few facts like that we will have our 5 and 1 year olds with us and probably won't be able to do alot of hiking in Taku, we would prefer more flying time and lastly my husband doesn't like salmon we decided to do the fly only option.

Now we need to see what else we can add to our itinerary in Juneau. Preferably something we can do on our own since we will be spending alot of money on this float plane excursion. Any suggestions?

So, after weighing in a few facts like that we will have our 5 and 1 year olds with us and probably won't be able to do alot of hiking in Taku, we would prefer more flying time and lastly my husband doesn't like salmon we decided to do the fly only option.

Now we need to see what else we can add to our itinerary in Juneau. Preferably something we can do on our own since we will be spending alot of money on this float plane excursion. Any suggestions?

http://www.traveljuneau.com

I'm a huge advocate of walking tours. , Enjoy them around the world. Frankly no better way to experience locales. :) Here is a guide to perhaps consider? Include as much/little as you want. http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/map_downtown_big.jpg can't beat - free. :) :)

www.traveljuneau.com

I'm a huge advocate of walking tours. , Enjoy them around the world. Frankly no better way to experience locales. :) Here is a guide to perhaps consider? Include as much/little as you want. http://www.traveljuneau.com/images/map_downtown_big.jpg can't beat - free. :) :)

Thank you so much for the info!

Does anyone have pictures they have taken of the glaciers from inside the float plane? Is it possible to take good pictures or is the window a big obstruction?

Does anyone have pictures they have taken of the glaciers from inside the float plane? Is it possible to take good pictures or is the window a big obstruction?

I'm sure you'll get some great photos. Should be some poster on this board who will share theirs as well. :)

You won't have any problem getting some nice photos to remember your trip by.

As requested photos of the glaciers enroute to Taku Lodge:

As requested photos of the glaciers enroute to Taku Lodge:

Awesome pictures, thanks so much for sharing! That answers my question! (y)

Here comes another question...any must eat places in Juneau? Since we won't be doing the salmon bake at Taku we will need a place to have dinner...we love seafood (husband eats all seafood except salmon) and I have been reading that there are a lot of fresh seafood places in town, anyone have a favorite?

Here comes another question...any must eat places in Juneau? Since we won't be doing the salmon bake at Taku we will need a place to have dinner...we love seafood (husband eats all seafood except salmon) and I have been reading that there are a lot of fresh seafood places in town, anyone have a favorite?

I like the Twisted Fish, there is also the Hanger, and Tracy's Crab shack. All on the dock, with the hanger past the cruise ships, north end. the other 2 are near the tram.

Unless you are pretty good with Adobe Photoshop, taking pictures through the aircraft windows is best made using a circular polarizing filter on your camera to cut the glare.

Unless you are pretty good with Adobe Photoshop, taking pictures through the aircraft windows is best made using a circular polarizing filter on your camera to cut the glare.

I have a Nikon D40, is there a certain setting that will help cut the glare or take a better shot without having to buy the circular polarizing filter?

I have a Nikon D40, is there a certain setting that will help cut the glare or take a better shot without having to buy the circular polarizing filter?

Not really. They aren't that costly are they? This cuts the glare, you don't want in your photos.