Pacific Explorer heavy seas

Here's hoping the seas will become kinder to Pacific Explorer today and for the rest of the cruise.

We cruised to Mooloolaba a few weeks ago on her, a very enjoyable destination.

We considered this longer cruise but glad we didn't - as it turns out, weather wise.

From what I've read the damage was minimal but some very wet diners in Waterfront and no doubt nervous cruisers. On our cruise there was at least half being first timers.

this was posted on another site 40 mins ago

Morning everyone ..... ship update ..... WE MADE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! Was super hectic! 24ft waves!! This little boat was being tossed like you wouldn't believe. Seas have only just calmed down about an hour ago (0630). However is still quite rocky!! The captain had to turn the ship around to avoid any further damage! At this stage we are only around near Wyong!!! We are still travelling approx less than 10knots. Just waiting for the captain to make an announcement as to what we are doing.

2 windows were smashed by waves - one in Angelos restaurant and the other in the waterfront restaurant. Have no reports of injuries at this stage. We were advised to remain in our cabins or seated somewhere comfortable

Morning everyone ..... ship update ..... WE MADE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! Was super hectic! 24ft waves!! This little boat was being tossed like you wouldn't believe. Seas have only just calmed down about an hour ago (0630). However is still quite rocky!! The captain had to turn the ship around to avoid any further damage! At this stage we are only around near Wyong!!! We are still travelling approx less than 10knots. Just waiting for the captain to make an announcement as to what we are doing.

Looking at Windy.com it seems that the whole east coast from Fraser Island to Hobart is beset by high seas. There a big low over NZ forcing a flow of air from the Southern Ocean into the Tasman.

The closest calm water looks to be Bass Strait. Which is a bit ironic.

The seas should smooth out by Tuesday.

2 windows were smashed by waves - one in Angelos restaurant and the other in the waterfront restaurant. Have no reports of injuries at this stage. We were advised to remain in our cabins or seated somewhere comfortable

wow, thanks for the update, hopefully no one was injured.

Looking at Windy.com it seems that the whole east coast from Fraser Island to Hobart is beset by high seas. There a big low over NZ forcing a flow of air from the Southern Ocean into the Tasman.

The closest calm water looks to be Bass Strait. Which is a bit ironic.

The seas should smooth out by Tuesday.

That really is ironic. Hopefully the ship can find some better weather and smaller seas.

It looks like Pacific Explorer has missed Mooloolaba.

In hindsight, timewise, an overnight stop in Sydney would have been more comfortable, safer and the ship would still be where it is currently.

Dec 2016 on Voyager, the Captain announced because of a nasty weather front coming from Fiji we would be heading from Mare at top speed to Noumea so the ship could be berthed the night before we were due there. The ship also had sufficient time to arrange for the berthing and shuttle buses to take any passengers or crew who wanted to indulge in some nightlife. Bonus!

Edited by megsie

It looks like Pacific Explorer has missed Mooloolaba.

In hindsight, timewise, an overnight stop in Sydney would have been more comfortable, safer and the ship would still be where it is currently.

Dec 2016 on Voyager, the Captain announced because of a nasty weather front coming from Fiji we would be heading from Mare at top speed to Noumea so the ship could be berthed the night before we were due there. The ship also had sufficient time to arrange for the berthing and shuttle buses to take any passengers or crew who wanted to indulge in some nightlife. Bonus!

They could not get in to Mooloolooba so have headed on for an early arrival , and presumably an overnight in Gladstone.

Coast loses tourism dollars after ship forced to divert

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-loses-tourism-dollars-after-ship-forced-to-d/3214669/

They could not get in to Mooloolooba so have headed on for an early arrival , and presumably an overnight in Gladstone.

Coast loses tourism dollars after ship forced to divert

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-loses-tourism-dollars-after-ship-forced-to-d/3214669/

A shame for them.

I wouldn't have thought that the ship was Massive but then it is all relative.

OMG! We are booked to cruise from Sydney on 29 Aug - doing Queensland/Great Barrier Reef. We cruised to New Zealand in March and had gale force winds and high seas and that was a horror cruise - I am worried that this will occur again so fingers crossed that the seas are not rough where we are cruising in a few days time.

Whilst I am on this message - this is my first cruise with P&O - I have been on Pacific Explorer out of Alaska when she was the Dawn Princess. I note a few differences cruising P&O vs Princess. For example, not being able to take bottled water on board - I find this very inconvenient as I always like to have a bottle of water with me.

OMG! We are booked to cruise from Sydney on 29 Aug - doing Queensland/Great Barrier Reef. We cruised to New Zealand in March and had gale force winds and high seas and that was a horror cruise - I am worried that this will occur again so fingers crossed that the seas are not rough where we are cruising in a few days time.

Whilst I am on this message - this is my first cruise with P&O - I have been on Pacific Explorer out of Alaska when she was the Dawn Princess. I note a few differences cruising P&O vs Princess. For example, not being able to take bottled water on board - I find this very inconvenient as I always like to have a bottle of water with me.

you can take an empty bottle onboard and fill up at the water station, thats what others do

We were on the Pacific Explorer a few weeks ago and we had some windy days (enough to close the pool) but the ship cruised very smoothly. The weather at the weekend isn't a frequent occurrence - not many would cruise if it was or even holiday on land. Enjoy your cruise, nothing nicer than a GBR cruise.

There was a water station in the pantry and we would get an iced water from the blue room when going back to our room. Water stand and glasses on the bar even when the bar is closed during the day. Probably at others as well.

Sorry the ship missed Mooloolaba, nice place with a good variety of tours.

But the ship was anchored a far way out and the swells came up in afternoon when we were there, not too bad. Nice new tenders on P.Explorer.

'Little boat?' Pacific Explorer - ex 'Dawn Princess' is a Sun Class ship of 77,000 tonnes. Not exactly little !!!:o

Your not going to die

Just go to the bar and get a FREE glass of water

Which is desalinated sea water from the ship's condenser anyway.:hearteyes: Same as is in the jugs of water on the MDR tables.

Hi, we're currently onboard the Pacific explorer.

Last Saturday night when there were those rough seas, my daughter and i were in Angelo's restaurant when the window smashed in. We had just finished dinner, but hadn't quite got to dessert. The weather was absolutely shocking and the waves were extremely high. We heard a Big Bang and looked over as one of the windows were smashed in by a huge wave. The glass from the restaurant window went crashing in and water went every where. We ran for our lives along with other people.

A lot of people who had been sitting near the window were cut pretty badly from the glass. We were ok, but my daughter was screaming she wanted to go home and then she was in shock for about three hours. It was so frightening, something we will never forget.

Apparently the window in The Waterfront restaurant had the same thing happen just hours before hand. Plus..a few nights after, someone's cabin window broke.

Urine has also been leaking through ceilings as toilets are getting blocked. I thought this ship was refurbished..seems to me like it's falling apart.

Hi, we're currently onboard the Pacific explorer.

Last Saturday night when there were those rough seas, my daughter and i were in Angelo's restaurant when the window smashed in. We had just finished dinner, but hadn't quite got to dessert. The weather was absolutely shocking and the waves were extremely high. We heard a Big Bang and looked over as one of the windows were smashed in by a huge wave. The glass from the restaurant window went crashing in and water went every where. We ran for our lives along with other people.

A lot of people who had been sitting near the window were cut pretty badly from the glass. We were ok, but my daughter was screaming she wanted to go home and then she was in shock for about three hours. It was so frightening, something we will never forget.

Apparently the window in The Waterfront restaurant had the same thing happen just hours before hand. Plus..a few nights after, someone's cabin window broke.

Urine has also been leaking through ceilings as toilets are getting blocked. I thought this ship was refurbished..seems to me like it's falling apart.

Thanks for the post and welcome to Cruise Critic. Nasty experience you had, hope all is ok now. Yes, your ship has been around for 20 odd years since she was launched as Dawn Princess, now Pacific Explorer. Been through some big seas. I think most ships would have received a battering from the weather you were in.

Safe cruising.:)