Its raining and Danube is rising

pontac

I am on Danube, should be at Passau by 9am but will be 90+ minutes late because is strong flow of river - its been raining since Vienna two days ago, some torrential with thunder and lightning. River level is high and rising, hope we can get past Passau......

Due to heavy rainfall Passau Danube will reach flood mark I during today, possibly floodmark II tomorrow (that is tentative). For traffic there is not much impact yet, the problem is the low bridge at Passau. A notoriously difficult point for any river cruise captain on the Danube in high water situations. Official publication of the water board says: "Danube Passau 6.30m difficulties navigating under suspension bridge for some river cruise ships. ... 7.80m all river traffic is banned by the water and shipping authorities."

Upstream from Passau there is a level I flood warning in place. No problems as yet, but could happen. Upstream from there things are looking fine according to official gauge measurements.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I saw the flooding in Passau this afternoon, the promenade street along the in the old town has been closed due to flooding. Second flood warning at 7.40 m has been reach, currently at 7.53 m. Due to peak at 04:00 tomorrow morning, although rain is forecast for the next couple of days.

Main problem is the low susension bridge in Passau, should be done away with ans something like Tower Bridge built, what an attraction.

Well, we got to Regensberg OK, managed to get under the low bridge OK during the night. Rain has stopped and forecast is better.

River high and flowing very fast but it seems current prognosis for cruisng is good.

In the end, the Danube peaked at Passau at 7.53m and fell below 7m this afternoon. Forecast is for slowly falling levels, potentially to 6.50m in the early hours of Saturday.

Thank you for the photo, Got2Cruise. One can easily imagine it getting too tight for some cruise ships with just a bit more water in the river.

notamermaid

Hello G.M:T.,

Main problem is the low susension bridge in Passau, should be done away with ans something like Tower Bridge built, what an attraction.

"Danube Tower Bridge", hhmm, certainly worth considering. I fear there would be a lack of funds for such a project so I suggest a "table bridge". That would do the trick for river traffic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_bridge

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Any update on the Danube or the Rhine river water levels?

We sail Friday (July 22, 2016) out of Budapest. Very high anticipation. :)

Looks like sunshine through Friday and rain Saturday-Monday.

Dave