best ocean front hotel in Waikiki

sassygurl

I have been researching hotels and still feel undecided/concerned. We will be staying in Oahu pre cruise and want an ocean front hotel room in Waikiki. The Hilton Hawaiian village has a great rainbow tower corner room facing diamond head, after reading many reviews, even when reserving this room you might get a different room off the water. Has anyone had this type of experience and any ideas will be welcomed. We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and top budget is $600 ish

Halekulani is worth it for a 30th anniversary. Will be at the top of your price range but it is the best.

If you do not book, try to at least have dinner on their outdoor patio. The best coconut shrimp and the coconut cake is fabulous.

It is my favorite hotel in Honolulu.

The Rainbow tower has tiny circa 1950's size bathrooms. They have redecorated them, but they are still tiny and it's a huge and very impersonal resort with so-so service.

For your anniversary, I would suggest Halekulani, Trump International, or Ritz Carlton Residences Wakiki Beach as these are the top properties in your price range. The Outrigger is a step down, but it offers Deluxe Oceanfront rooms with Spa Tub which might be nice for an anniversary.

If you want the HHV, you want the Alii Tower Oceanfront rooms... The Alii Tower has it's own check-in, concierge, pool and bar, fitness center. And, you get "front of the line" privileges at the HHV restaurants...

But, I've heard Halekulani is an excellent hotel. If you go Starwood, the "pink palace", the Royal Hawaiian, is classic old Hawaii.

The Ritz Carlton Residences are pricey and aren't even on the beach - the hotel is several blocks off of the beach, behind Fort DeRussy. I guess if you were guaranteed one of the high-floor ocean views, it would be OK. But, that area is actually kind of sketchy at night to walk around (as a solo woman)...

The Ritz Carlton Residences are pricey and aren't even on the beach - the hotel is several blocks off of the beach, behind Fort DeRussy. I guess if you were guaranteed one of the high-floor ocean views, it would be OK. But, that area is actually kind of sketchy at night to walk around (as a solo woman)...

Sketchy? Were you more afraid of Tiffany's or Chanel or Dean and Deluca which are right next door to the Ritz Carlton Residences?

Sketchy? Were you more afraid of Tiffany's or Chanel or Dean and Deluca which are right next door to the Ritz Carlton Residences?

The area of Kalakaua, behind the Hale Koa park down to the HHV left me a little wary at night. After doing that one night, I walked the beach back "home" to HHV instead of the street.

And, those places are on Kalakaua, the RCRs are actually behind them on Kuhio at Kalaimolu.

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki beach hotel on kalakaua avenue. We had a McDonald's at our doorstep 3 ABC shops (like kwik e marts) within 100 meters of the hotel and walk across the road and you were at the beach! If you are going in September you are in a prime position for the massive street party they have for the aloha festivals!

Here is a picture from our balcony! aeb511073841934da9cd6086d8b113d3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't say how it rates currently, but when I visited Waikiki Beach back in the '70's, I stayed at the historic Royal Hawaiian....a wonderful experience in a great location. Nothing like enjoying a Mai Tai in the bar on the beach that bear's its name...:)

I'd go for the Royal Hawaiian, or the Sheraton Waikiki. They are right in the middle of Waikiki Beach. The Royal Hawaiian is the iconic Pink Lady that everyone sees in the pictures of waikiki beach. She is also part of the Sheraton family. While the HHV is good, I agree with Suite Traveler... it's a massive hotel that does not seem to be able to cater to the individual....just move em en and move em out.

Congratulations on your milestone, and enjoy your visit