NYC Cruise Terminal - Manhattan or Brooklyn?

nyfeds

Maybe things will change in the future (as someone who lives very close to the Brooklyn Port -- we could walk there if we wished --I'd like it if they did). But so far I think ALL Oceania cruises have left from Manhattan. I haven't heard any news that this will change. So Jim is right.

The Brooklyn port isn't that large, and I think it's monopolized by Carnival, etc. (I just looked at Wikipedia and it appears that the Cunard ships leave from there.)

Mura

Manhattan, but better yet it's a great location---most people will want to stay in the city for a few days. It was also an easy check in, if I recall it only took the car service a short time from the hotel to the port---car pulled up and porters took everything and we just walked to check-in.

Rick

One word of warning if it is the Manhattan terminal for disembarkation, if you are intending using a cab once off the ship, the queue and wait can be horrendous. Perhaps think of using an Oceania transfer or if you are staying in NYC book a private driver.

It's so nice to know. Unfortunately, history doesn't indicate results.

We disembarked from an R ship, we were the only ship in port, we had to cross the avenue for the taxis. So now we knew.

We got off Marina, there was an NCL ship too, taxis were right at the terminal.

Thanks for the additional replies.

If hiring a car service, are those cars permitted to wait by the terminal? We plan to arrive several days earlier in NY to play tourists (we were born and raised in NY; now living in SOCAL) and fly home after the cruise.

The rules seem to have changed since our earlier returns to the Manhattan terminal. Taxis (and I assume private car services) used to be able to get close to the terminal entrance. But when we left Marina on May 7th we had to go across the street to find a cab and the line was ENORMOUS. I noticed that many cabs that clearly weren't carrying passengers just went by without stopping -- my guess was that the drivers assumed most of us would be a very short fare to a hotel. That wasn't true in our case but the drivers didn't know that. I think it took at least half an hour to finally get a cab. After a relatively long wait more cabs started arriving. I think we had a young, inexperienced dispatcher on hand.

I don't know whether car services can get closer to the terminal entrance or not, but I'm guessing not. There were a number of people trying to lure passengers onto private services but they would be different from services that have been booked in advance.

Mura

I appreciate the added replies.

There is a reliable car service we use when we visit NY. As our cruise draws closer, I will check with them.

Hailing a cab in NY is a very fine art! :)

New York Cruise terminals web site.... select,,,, "schedule" ..... there you will find ALL the ships scheduled for the next year ( 12 mos) by date and where they dock....

When last off the Marina at Manhattan... there was no wait for a cab May 22 or so.... zip zap gone to airport in 40 min through the tunnel to EWR

• 1 month later...

That would be convenient for you guys -- and us too -- were we on the ship!

Come to think of it, probably more convenient for us.

Mura

Edited by Mura

You might consider Uber. I use them a lot here in Manhattan.

I was going to suggest Uber as well, family members use Uber exclusively. Our personal experiences have been positive.

Transportation and traffic issues vary depending on the day of the week and what is going on in the city. If the terminal is very congested walk a few blocks and call Uber, they will GPS your location and fun you.

Sailing in and out of Manhattan is awe inspiring, I get the chills thinking about seeing our beautiful Lady.