Disembarking from Sirena In Civitavecchia

Cybercsp

I am hoping that someone with Oceania experience might provide some information to help us to make a decision regarding how to best transfer from the ship to the airport in Rome.

Sirena is scheduled to arrive at 6 AM. We are coming from Sorrento, so I suspect that she will arrive on time. What I cannot predict is when the ship will be cleared for disembarkation.

Our flight (scheduled by Oceania) leaves FCO at 11:50 AM.

We would prefer to arrange for private transportation us to the airport, BUT I have no idea of when to tell the driver to arrive. Ideally, we would like to arrive at the airport three hours before departure, but that seems unlikely if we cannot disembark until after 8 AM. We also have no priority consideration in terms of our cabin category or loyalty program.

An Oceania rep told us that we should take their transfers, as we would be "guaranteed" to make our flight. We will do this if it is advisable, but I would like to check with my CC experts before deciding.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Of course they would recommend that you take their transfers, but there is no need to in most circumstances. I think your time is fine. I'd have the driver pick me up at 7:30, you should be at the airport by 8:30. That gives you 3 hours.

I am hoping that someone with Oceania experience might provide some information to help us to make a decision regarding how to best transfer from the ship to the airport in Rome.

Sirena is scheduled to arrive at 6 AM. We are coming from Sorrento, so I suspect that she will arrive on time. What I cannot predict is when the ship will be cleared for disembarkation.

Our flight (scheduled by Oceania) leaves FCO at 11:50 AM.

We would prefer to arrange for private transportation us to the airport, BUT I have no idea of when to tell the driver to arrive. Ideally, we would like to arrive at the airport three hours before departure, but that seems unlikely if we cannot disembark until after 8 AM. We also have no priority consideration in terms of our cabin category or loyalty program.

An Oceania rep told us that we should take their transfers, as we would be "guaranteed" to make our flight. We will do this if it is advisable, but I would like to check with my CC experts before deciding.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry but not cruised on Oceania YET, (3rd June will be my first) but have disembarked Civitavecchia with Celebrity. It takes approx 2 hours to airport so my advice would be to take Oceania's transport to save on the stress factor.

You should be fine. Have disembarked from Civitavecchia many times including Oceania (Riviera June 2015) before. Even if you leave the ship at 8am, still leaves you more than 2,5 hours. The airport is about 30 mts drive and we have booked a shared shuttle (Bobs Limo). Service was great and shared bus is normally a mini-bus, where rides are shared between 4-6 passengers and are not too expensive. When you book you can indicate departure times by 15 or minutes intervals. I believe that you do can disembark without priority, just put in the request and I agree, arriving early is great. Pls note that many airlines do not open checkin counter longer than 2 hours in advance. Elitalia may be open but let's say BA or KLM (which will connect you back to North America via their hub) is than not open yet. Hope this helps!

ps: look in google maps: FCO is southbound of your disembarkation harbour and the 2 hours mentioned above we have never travelled so long

Edited by MobyandDick
explain distance FCO from Civitavecchia

Where is your flight headed? You'll have plenty of time if it connects in Europe and then goes to the US. If it goes directly to the US, you'll have to go through Terminal 5 (unless you are flying Alitalia).

Here's a recent thread from the Italy port board that might help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352013

Thanks for the input. We are flying nonstop to the US

We've done that particular transfer three times, and my best advice would be that if you are the type who likes to get involved then you may be fine.

If you are a retiring sort of person who does not like to insert themselves into the transfer process, then you probably want to extend the timing of your flight home.

Sorry but not cruised on Oceania YET, (3rd June will be my first) but have disembarked Civitavecchia with Celebrity. It takes approx 2 hours to airport so my advice would be to take Oceania's transport to save on the stress factor.

Budget airlines that fly within Europe sometimes use more remote airports, which might explain the discrepancy. I haven't done this journey but a look at one of the transfer companies website suggests a journey time of 40 minutes, if that's any help.

You could try emailing a transfer company for advice.

Different cruise, but we are scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia at 8am, and our flight out of FCO is 12:20. We booked with "Driver in Rome" and they suggested 9:00 pick-up. We did a cruise on another line last year that also ended in Civ and flew out of Rome on the same flight we're booked this time, and used Driver in Rome that time as well, I think with about the same pick-up time. They do this enough I figure they know both how long after ship's arrival and how long before flight is reasonable.

You should be fine. Have disembarked from Civitavecchia many times including Oceania (Riviera June 2015) before. Even if you leave the ship at 8am, still leaves you more than 2,5 hours. The airport is about 30 mts drive and we have booked a shared shuttle (Bobs Limo). Service was great and shared bus is normally a mini-bus, where rides are shared between 4-6 passengers and are not too expensive. When you book you can indicate departure times by 15 or minutes intervals. I believe that you do can disembark without priority, just put in the request and I agree, arriving early is great. Pls note that many airlines do not open checkin counter longer than 2 hours in advance. Elitalia may be open but let's say BA or KLM (which will connect you back to North America via their hub) is than not open yet. Hope this helps!

ps: look in google maps: FCO is southbound of your disembarkation harbour and the 2 hours mentioned above we have never travelled so long

Thanks for your post. We are thinking of using Bobs from Civi. to Rome in July. Any other tips for us?

Have used Bob's Limos in the past and we find them very good.

Thanks a lot. We have in the past found that CC posters are very good with their reviews and very honest. Something that most of us can take advantage of.

• 8 months later...

Hi MobyandDick

I am new to Cruise Critics and I wasn't sure how to message you. Paul here from your latest cruise on the Quest. Thanks for introducing me to CC, very useful. I have lost your details, can to send me then again please. paul_3349@yahoo.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums