Have you experienced bugs on the ship?

A.stew12305

EWWW. Thankfully I have never seen anything like that on a ship. I would not be able to sleep after finding one in my cabin. I have heard of bedbugs here on the forums before, but not roaches. I wondered at first if this guy came in on fruit (bananas maybe) but it would be a long way from the galley to the cabins. I agree with others, he's a hitchhiker, but yuck...so sorry that happened to you.

OP......Really glad you nabbed that bug. We're boarding the Royal June 25.

I know it's off the topic, but if you get an extra few minutes, can you post a few movies which are showing on the ship?

A Bug's Life

Bee Movie

Arachnophobia

The Fly (original version with Vincent Price and David Hedison)

Antz

A few big bugs on the outside deck flying around going through Panama Canal several years ago.Apart from that and a small bird never experienced any bugs on board.Believe you me if I had the whole ship would have heard the scream and would have created an international incident :D;)

I'm from Australia so, to me, that roach was just a baby .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

LOL,yep their big when you can chuck a saddle on them and ride them down the hallway.:eek:

Cockroaches,just a land version of lobsters and crayfish.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Golden Princess attracted a flight of dragonflies in Darwin last month. They were mostly around the main pool decks - possibly MUTS attracted them. They weren't a nuisance, in fact they looked lovely.

Over a week later a lone dragonfly was swooping around the Lotus Pool. Not sure if it had stayed onboard since Darwin, or had come aboard somewhere else.

Apparently they have been known to cross oceans. Hitching rides on cruise ships, maybe? ;) :D

Looks just like home. :D

These awful critters are common through out the southern US...Texas to Florida..the first time I saw one was in Saudi Arabia...gave me the absolute creepies..all the Texans just rolled their eyes at my hysterics. I have never seen one on a cruise ship, but have seen more than I would like living in TX now :(

True confession… We actually brought bugs onto a ship once. We were on the Ruby, and we found a lovely Sand dollar. We brought the Sand dollar on the ship, and it had little sand fleas in it. We had to call PSD to have our room fumigated. They did chew us out a bit. But it was our fault. They really mean it when they say not to bring anything from the beaches back into your cruise cabin, and we are proof.

That evening while I was in the cabin and my dh was at the piano bar I got a phone call from Guest Services. They apologized for our inconvenience and said we would get a 50% refund of our cruise fare. WOW! I thanked him and said that much really wasn't necessary but he said they did not want us to have " a bad taste in our mouth of our cruise". I ran to tell my husband. We checked with Guest Services to make sure I heard correctly!! We got 50% back EACH in OBC which could be cashed out.

I was really impressed how they handled it.

Wow! We got nada for our bed bugs.

OP......Really glad you nabbed that bug. We're boarding the Royal June 25.

I know it's off the topic, but if you get an extra few minutes, can you post a few movies which are showing on the ship?

Thank very much.

Pam

Sure! Do you mean on the TV or MUTS?

I know The Martian and The Man from UNCLE were on MUTS

Wow! We got nada for our bed bugs.

We weren't offered any compensation, just an apology and assurance they would keep an eye out for more. However, our steward told us they told her it came from the bathroom, so she should make sure to clean there and she reiterated that it did not originate IN our room, but came in with the mail

Never saw bugs on any of our cruises with the exception of two. Twice we docked in St. Maarten and there was an explosion of butterflies flying around the port and within a short time of docking, they were all over the top deck of the ship, flying around the pools and hot tubs. It was quite magical. I always wonder why, was it the time of year, or are they escapees from the butterfly farm. Hope to see that again some day. That being said, it's the only insect I could ever tolerate, I'm a complete insect-o-phobe! I feel sorry for everyone with bug stories. I've seen plenty in land based resorts but never on a cruise. Stayed at a hotel in Montego Bay many years ago and the place was just crawling with roaches. They would come out at night when the lights were off. A late night trip to the bathroom was a freaky adventure!

I once bought a 12 pack of soda at a publix in florida. There

were cockroaches inside the cardboard when I opened it. I guess it was a dark private place to lay eggs in a warehouse somewhere...

Never really ever had a problem, with the exception of bed bugs on Regent one time. Never reported it because I was sure they weren't from the bed, maybe the couch or an open air couch on the fantail where we used to sit and read. At a lot of southern ports, when we overnight, bugs will come on board attracted by the lights and be all over the decks etc the next day.

One time in Hawaii a bug exterminator was explaining to me that the small cockroaches are the ones which give condo owners fits, the big ones, if they get inside die. He said that most of the cockroaches are brought in by people bringing groceries and such inside with their cardboard boxes they got at COSTCO, then store the boxes in closets. Apparently, cockroaches like to hide and nest in the corrugations in the cardboard boxes.

Another time we did an almost three month circumnavigation voyage of Africa on the Prinsendam. They warned us right off that all the ornamental hard woods and tourist stuff quite often harbor bugs. What happens is that guests ignore that and purchase a fancy hand carved warrior's helmet or something then put it in the cabin. Pretty soon awesome creepy crawlers are lurking about. Then they raise a ruckus claiming the ship is slovenly maintained and overrun with cockroaches or the like. So what they want you to do is turn your purchases in when coming back on board, they then put all that stuff in a freezer for a few days, then give it back to you.

oh a bugs life...

we have encountered bugs on ships... but nothing too exciting

we have had sand fleas in the cabin, especially after visiting the beach in a port that seemed to have a big issue. I have noticed them spraying at Princess Cays often to deal with the issue, but it is all over the Caribbean.

They come in with your beach bag (aka princess tote bag) and all it takes is you putting it down somewhere and bam they are loose.

I remember sitting once in the Vista Lounge and feeling like I was being bitten on my ankles, sure enough, sand fleas.

Also sand flies or noseeums are pretty much everywhere and have been bitten on my balcony in the early evening while sailing around South America.

Yup you figure me out... if it bites, it bites me.

We just got back from two weeks in Mexico, where we encountered many sand flies bites and I got stung by a bee too.

I have always been impressed that when I have been bitten it has been handled very efficiently when I have reported it.

And I always carry Benadryl for the itch!

• 2 weeks later...

Has this, or anything like it, happened to any of you?

Well I've had several encounters with bugs on the ship - no cockroaches. I've seen dead moths on the Promenade deck and bugs that are dead that had hard shelled wings like beetles. We did have a cricket on our balcony one time. DH thought I was nuts when I told him about it. Sure enough, the cricket started up and DH said "You're right!"

Not sure what to make of the cockroach other than it could have came in with the boxes of food and products, made it's way onto the luggage cart and found a home in your cabin. I've also seen flies in the Lido buffet flying around. It's easy for them to make their way onto the ship when in port. They go where they smell the food. I've seen birds too on the ship.