RCL single cabin pricing on quantum class ships

When Royal Caribbean announced that their Quantum Class ships would have some single cabins they received accolades from travellers and travel experts. Here was an opportunity for single travellers to book a cabin without paying the 100% supplement.

BUT WAIT

In what appears to be a continuation of the practice of charging a single traveler double, Royal Caribbean have priced these single cabins higher than you can book a double cabin even paying the 100% supplement.

I tried to book a single on a couple of cruises here is what I found:

I could book a standard 198sq ft balcony cabin at $4450, $4600 and $5240 at the double rate ( depending on location) and yet the 119sq ft single cabin priced out at $5940.... For a single traveller.

Try as I might I have been unable to get any reasonable explanation from anyone at RCL at least any that makes any sense.

So in effect they are forcing single travellers to book a standard double cabin and pay the 100% supplement and are either withholding single cabins or pricing the single cabin higher than you pay for a standard double.

Single travellers need to make Royal Caribbean aware that they are once again gauging the single traveller and make this move into a public relations disaster. Write to the President of Royal Caribbean and express your disgust... Only by making this an issue can we change the pricing.

When Royal Caribbean announced that their Quantum Class ships would have some single cabins they received accolades from travellers and travel experts. Here was an opportunity for single travellers to book a cabin without paying the 100% supplement.

BUT WAIT

In what appears to be a continuation of the practice of charging a single traveler double, Royal Caribbean have priced these single cabins higher than you can book a double cabin even paying the 100% supplement.

I tried to book a single on a couple of cruises here is what I found:

I could book a standard 198sq ft balcony cabin at $4450, $4600 and $5240 at the double rate ( depending on location) and yet the 119sq ft single cabin priced out at $5940.... For a single traveller.

Try as I might I have been unable to get any reasonable explanation from anyone at RCL at least any that makes any sense.

So in effect they are forcing single travellers to book a standard double cabin and pay the 100% supplement and are either withholding single cabins or pricing the single cabin higher than you pay for a standard double.

Single travellers need to make Royal Caribbean aware that they are once again gauging the single traveller and make this move into a public relations disaster. Write to the President of Royal Caribbean and express your disgust... Only by making this an issue can we change the pricing.

As a solo traveler on Anthem you basically have to either book the solo cabins as soon as the itineraries come out or wait until after final payment to see if there are any good solo prices in a standard double cabin. Given the prices you quoted, it sounds like a holiday cruise. I just booked a solo balcony on Anthem for 12 days in Jan 2018 for well under 2k. It's just supply and demand. If 11 of the 12 solo balconies are booked, the price of the last balcony is ridiculous.

I have SB or SB guarantees booked for 12 cruises on Anthem. They range from 5 night to 12 night cruises. The prices range from $1,000 to $1,800.

If it's pricing out at $5,900, there is an error in the system.

When I have booked a SB guarantee, I have always been given a full size cabin. My cruise last April for 12 nights I was given a D5, and only paid $1850.

If you want great prices solo you need to book when they first are released and check prices all the time. I usually check twice a day.

What date are you seeing a SB priced so high?

I just looked at an Asian cruise in late 2017 but I have looked at several and it seems that those few singles are being priced higher than the double. I will be eligible for the 150% soon but it's more a matter of principal with me - if a doubt is 2700 per person I expect the single to be in or around $3000 no more... Or it really isn't a single if you know what I mean.

As a solo traveler on Anthem you basically have to either book the solo cabins as soon as the itineraries come out or wait until after final payment to see if there are any good solo prices in a standard double cabin. Given the prices you quoted, it sounds like a holiday cruise. I just booked a solo balcony on Anthem for 12 days in Jan 2018 for well under 2k. It's just supply and demand. If 11 of the 12 solo balconies are booked, the price of the last balcony is ridiculous.

Carol, what is your sail date. I am also booked in January 18, I think the date is January 27 or so for 12 nights. Would be great to sail with you again. Donna is also booked.

Carol, what is your sail date. I am also booked in January 18, I think the date is January 27 or so for 12 nights. Would be great to sail with you again. Donna is also booked.

January 28, 2018 I'm also booked.

On the solos board, there's a thread that tracks what deals people are getting on solo cabins and which cruises have small or no single supplement. It's a problem across RC, not just the Quantum class. When I tried to make a booking solo on Radiance for an Alaska cruise, the cost was almost 4 times as much as it was per-person double occupancy ... for a cabin that only held two. (No solo cabins on that ship).

What I've noticed in that forum is that the deals some people get from RC (one person got $700 to go solo on the same cruise the day before I got quoted $2400. Then two days later it went down to $1700) often shift overnight -- so it pays to keep calling RC and see what the best single fare they can come up with that day is, and book when it's in your price range.

I've brought this to RC's attention, and never once received a reply.

Ruth - that's great! And Donna too! I have a solo balcony on that cruise, but unfortunately it is not yet a firm cruise for me.

I think part of the problem is that those traveling double will book a solo cabin as one traveler and then add another passenger. I personally think that should be forbidden. Solo cabins should be for solos - period. No exceptions.

If they enforced this, I think we would see lower prices on studio cabins.

I think part of the problem is that those traveling double will book a solo cabin as one traveler and then add another passenger. I personally think that should be forbidden. Solo cabins should be for solos - period. No exceptions.

If they enforced this, I think we would see lower prices on studio cabins.

I don't think that is happening. If you book a SB cabin solo, and then add another person, the cabin is repriced for 2, which in most cases would double the cost of the cabin, and probably be more expensive than a regular balcony cabin for 2. Besides the cabins are way too small for 2 people.

On the solos board, there's a thread that tracks what deals people are getting on solo cabins and which cruises have small or no single supplement. It's a problem across RC, not just the Quantum class. When I tried to make a booking solo on Radiance for an Alaska cruise, the cost was almost 4 times as much as it was per-person double occupancy ... for a cabin that only held two. (No solo cabins on that ship).

What I've noticed in that forum is that the deals some people get from RC (one person got $700 to go solo on the same cruise the day before I got quoted $2400. Then two days later it went down to $1700) often shift overnight -- so it pays to keep calling RC and see what the best single fare they can come up with that day is, and book when it's in your price range.

I've brought this to RC's attention, and never once received a reply.

It's very easy to check the prices, without calling RCCL. Just do a mock booking. I check prices that way sometimes 3+times a day. Takes just a minute. I have seen prices change in just a couple of hours, even a couple of times a day. The last minute cruise I just booked for September had a Studio Balcony Guarantee that was there and disappeared and was back again a few times in just one day.

I don't think that is happening. If you book a SB cabin solo, and then add another person, the cabin is repriced for 2, which in most cases would double the cost of the cabin, and probably be more expensive than a regular balcony cabin for 2. Besides the cabins are way too small for 2 people.

I know when I recently added a 2nd person to a reservation I had - they did not reprice it. Do you know from experience what you are saying above? Or just assuming?

And, I stayed in a studio on Anthem and it is not at all too small for 2 people. In fact, the room is very nice.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser

I just dealt with this issue on Serenade. They will not allow another passenger in a solo cabin. (They have a twin bed) I think the reasoning for the increased prices on these cabins (only can speak for Serenade) is location. Deck 4, next to centrum, private hall

Gaylemh, can I just say that looking at your cruise signature...I'm so jealous. Would you adopt me? I'd love to cruise with you! :)

Just making up for lost time. We never really went on vacations to much when my kids were little, with catholic school tuition, mortgage, then college and weddings. My husband and I had planned on traveling when he was supposed to retire at 55. Never made it. He passed away at 54.

You never know what life will bring, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can.

I know when I recently added a 2nd person to a reservation I had - they did not reprice it. Do you know from experience what you are saying above? Or just assuming?

And, I stayed in a studio on Anthem and it is not at all too small for 2 people. In fact, the room is very nice.

I did call to ask about adding a second person when I booked a studio balcony guarantee (I was assigned a D4) I was told that the reservation would be repriced for 2. That studio balcony cabins were for one, and the reservation would change to a regular balcony guarantee. We ended up both getting our own D cabin with the studio balcony guarantee, for about the same price as booking one with the X guarantee.

If you check online you cannot book a studio balcony for 2. That category only show up if you change the number of people to 1.

I have SB cabins booked on 7 of my cruises. The cabins are very nice, but to me, at 110 sq ft, they are too small for 2 people, not even a chair to sit on, no drawer space, and only a full size bed. I could never do it, but everyone is different.

I did call to ask about adding a second person when I booked a studio balcony guarantee (I was assigned a D4) I was told that the reservation would be repriced for 2. That studio balcony cabins were for one, and the reservation would change to a regular balcony guarantee. We ended up both getting our own D cabin with the studio balcony guarantee, for about the same price as booking one with the X guarantee.

I am actually very happy to know this!!! I was concerned that couples were booking our highly coveted studio staterooms. Now if RCCL would really bring down the price on those rooms it would be ideal!

Carol, Donna, Gayle: please confirm that we are talking about the 28th.

Yep, January 28, 2018. I have cabin 7648, and another friend Rene (sailaway girl) has another SB, I think it's 7248, but I'm not sure. There are still 2 SB's available for you to book one.

I am actually very happy to know this!!! I was concerned that couples were booking our highly coveted studio staterooms. Now if RCCL would really bring down the price on those rooms it would be ideal!

I found the prices on the SB cabins to be really good. Especially being they have a balcony. I have 7 night cruises booked for $1100 and 12 nights for $1600-1800. With OBC from booking onboard and from the TA they are a good deal.