Cuba-Frank Del Rio

captjohn

This is an interview with Frank Del Rio on travel to Cuba.Who will go first NCL,Oceania or Regent ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/norwegian-cruise-line-ceo-cruising-172300887.html

Given that he said he wants to be on the bridge when sailing into Havana, I would bet it would be Oceania and it would be one of the Renassaince ships; I don't know if he has ever sailed on one of the Regent ships.

Marc

Thanks for posting the link. Another very interesting interview by FDR. IMO, any of NCHL's ships could be the first to go to Cuba. He could certainly pick Oceania as it is his "baby" but he also loves Regent (and probably NCL by now).

BTW, FDR has been on Regent ships many times and has also worked on refurbishments of Regent ships. He was onboard the Mariner 18 months ago with friends for 10 days celebrating a "big" birthday. We were also on the sailing.

Thanks for posting the link. Another very interesting interview by FDR. IMO, any of NCHL's ships could be the first to go to Cuba. He could certainly pick Oceania as it is his "baby" but he also loves Regent (and probably NCL by now).

BTW, FDR has been on Regent ships many times and has also worked on refurbishments of Regent ships. He was onboard the Mariner 18 months ago with friends for 10 days celebrating a "big" birthday. We were also on the sailing.

Jackie, glad to hear that FDR has been many times on Regent; I know he is very proud of Oceania (rightfully so) and am glad to hear that he also loves Regent. I am hoping that I finally get to meet him on 25th Anniversary cruise next year.

Marc

I read about this. Not sure how they arranged that any more than I understand Starwood Hotels getting approval to build in Cuba.

While I still want to revisit Cuba on a NCHL ship (don't care which one), the Cuba we saw in 2000 and 2002 (approximate dates when we last visited), will not be the same with megaships pulling into port. Being only 90 miles away from the U.S., there are bound to be many ships making regular stops there. IMO, the infrastructure will have a difficult time supporting this.

I read about this. Not sure how they arranged that any more than I understand Starwood Hotels getting approval to build in Cuba.

While I still want to revisit Cuba on a NCHL ship (don't care which one), the Cuba we saw in 2000 and 2002 (approximate dates when we last visited), will not be the same with megaships pulling into port. Being only 90 miles away from the U.S., there are bound to be many ships making regular stops there. IMO, the infrastructure will have a difficult time supporting this.

For fathom its the type of tour/s offered IIRC (think Peace Corps type things). Im sure after you can give directions via this Starbucks to that they'll have the money for infrastructure.

For fathom its the type of tour/s offered IIRC (think Peace Corps type things). Im sure after you can give directions via this Starbucks to that they'll have the money for infrastructure.

Very interesting - thank you for the information! When we visited Cuba illegally, we were able to go anywhere that we wanted to go. On the first visit, we arrived in Havana and took a taxi to Varadero (the tourist area) that is approximately 90 miles away. We went by taxi (modern - new - not a vintage car that you see on television). We stayed in two resorts in Varadero then went back to Havana and spent a couple of days there. Also went to the famous "Tropicana" show that has been around for at least 50 years. When we requested a "cab" back to the airport, we were picked up in a new Mercedes SUV - very impressive.

When President Clinton was President (not trying to make a political statement - just a fact), Cuba took U.S. dollars but not U.S. credit cards. Things were not inexpensive there as one would think they would be. After President Clinton left office a threat of a $50,000 fine was put into place for visiting Cuba. Shortly thereafter, the Cuban currency was changed to the Cuban peso. Although we wanted to visit again, the threat of the fine kept us away.

The reason for my posting this history is simply that, IMO, it was far better to visit Cuba as a tourist (as thousands of Canadians and Europeans do) than as a U.S. citizen because we would have had to take the type of excursions that you describe.

Edited by Travelcat2

• 3 weeks later...

As just reported in the Miami Herald about the Carnival sailings, the Cuban government won't allow Cuban Americans to go to Cuba by cruise ship. The newspaper article calls it discrimination, and rightfully so.

Frank may be on the bridge of one of his ships as it sails into Cuba, but unless the government repeals this double standard, he won't be able to disembark.

If he is allowed to do so prior to the rules changing, I will scream bloody murder. I am a Cuban American and would love to go (Oceania is my favorite cruise line).

What are your thoughts, Frank Del Rio?

You're right Marketing Girl, FDR can't go unless they change the law. Cuba won't allow Cuban/Americans to visit on a cruise. The Fathom cruise is a people-to-people cruise. That means you go see what the Cuban government wants you to see. They take you to see cultural things, children schools, anything that does not show what's happening in Cuba (where people don't have necessities such as toilet paper and soap). I want to see Cuba but I won't go on any of these cruises. You can't get off the ship and get on a taxi and do what you want as Travelcat 2 did. All these cruises are going to do is enrich the Cuban Government while doing nothing for the Cuban people. Anyway, that's my opinion.

As just reported in the Miami Herald about the Carnival sailings, the Cuban government won't allow Cuban Americans to go to Cuba by cruise ship. The newspaper article calls it discrimination, and rightfully so.

Frank may be on the bridge of one of his ships as it sails into Cuba, but unless the government repeals this double standard, he won't be able to disembark.

If he is allowed to do so prior to the rules changing, I will scream bloody murder. I am a Cuban American and would love to go (Oceania is my favorite cruise line).

What are your thoughts, Frank Del Rio?

Frankly, I couldn't care less about this "discrimination" against Cuban -Americans. The real discrimination is the one suffered by the Cuban people , who live in an apartheid system where they cannot go to the hotels/ beaches/ restaurants frequented by the tourists. Of course, the're many other things wrong with the system under which they're forced to exist.

By the way, I'm Cuban American as well , and not planning to play the little games the Castro thugs continue to play.

You're right Marketing Girl, FDR can't go unless they change the law. Cuba won't allow Cuban/Americans to visit on a cruise. The Fathom cruise is a people-to-people cruise. That means you go see what the Cuban government wants you to see. They take you to see cultural things, children schools, anything that does not show what's happening in Cuba (where people don't have necessities such as toilet paper and soap). I want to see Cuba but I won't go on any of these cruises. You can't get off the ship and get on a taxi and do what you want as Travelcat 2 did. All these cruises are going to do is enrich the Cuban Government while doing nothing for the Cuban people. Anyway, that's my opinion.

I wonder how TC was able to roam freely in Cuba. I know her DH is British maybe that was how they were able to. TC has not posted here in quite awhile.

I wonder how TC was able to roam freely in Cuba. I know her DH is British maybe that was how they were able to. TC has not posted here in quite awhile.

You can go through Mexico or Canada without a problem. Agree with cruiseluv 100%. When we were there, we packed a suitcase full of gifts for locals (things that are not easily available in Cuba). While we have been accused of supporting the current government, this is not the case........ we support the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Wes . I don't begrudge anybody to want to go to Cuba but please do it with eyes wide open . Lets not romanticize what Cuba is , and much less the life the people there are forced to endure.

TC is correct. I have American friends that have gone to Cuba that way, and roamed around "freely"; however they were tailed constantly by govn't operatives. How do they know this? Coincidentally they spotted the same couple of men everywhere they went.

Interestingly, as a Cuban American under current rules, I can request permission from US government and go legally from US to Cuba. And even though I'm an exile, a "gusana" (worm) according to the Castro thugs, I can stay at the best hotels there, eat the best food, go to the most beautiful beaches, buy at the US $ stores, however, the local Cuban people can't.

Glad to see so many others that think the way we do. Let's not forget the hypocrisy of the Castro brothers whose combined net worth is over $1 billion while the Cuban people live without basic rights.

Z and TB

Thank you Cruiseluv. My sentiments exactly. Anyone who travels to Cuba now is doing nothing but putting money in Castro's coffers. The Cuban people will not see any changes from these trips. And yes, they cannot go to tourists resorts such as the ones in Varadero. Those places are for tourists like Europeans who travel to Cuba with no restrictions.

Thank you Cruiseluv. My sentiments exactly. Anyone who travels to Cuba now is doing nothing but putting money in Castro's coffers. The Cuban people will not see any changes from these trips. And yes, they cannot go to tourists resorts such as the ones in Varadero. Those places are for tourists like Europeans who travel to Cuba with no restrictions.

Thank you forevertravel, but not only for European tourists. Cuban Americans , or Americans that go on sanctioned tours or through Mexico or Canada are also more than welcomed to stay in those resorts and also to partake in many other things which are verboten to Cuban citizens. I remember when American businesses were pressured to boycott South Africa due to its apartheid policies. Apparently such boycotts are not considered fashionable where Cuba is concerned.

Thank you forevertravel, but not only for European tourists. Cuban Americans , or Americans that go on sanctioned tours or through Mexico or Canada are also more than welcomed to stay in those resorts and also to partake in many other things which are verboten to Cuban citizens. I remember when American businesses were pressured to boycott South Africa due to its apartheid policies. Apparently such boycotts are not considered fashionable where Cuba is concerned.

The embargo is a stronger form of boycott and it hasn't worked. Something else needed to be tried. There is a new generation of Cubans who will hopefully be energized by change and strive for more change. Recovery will take years.

As long as Americans who go do so with their eyes open and don't buy the propaganda about all the "advances" the revolution has "achieved," that is also a positive way to fight misinformation. For those who are interested, read the book "Cuba 1952-1959" by *******. Within the first few pages you will learn well-documents statistics substantiating Cuba's very high standard of living back then including in education and healthcare before Castro, making Castro's claims of social achievement by him very ridiculous. Armed with that knowledge, go ahead and travel to Cuba.

"It's official: Fathom to sail to Cuba with all travellers, including Cuban-born passengers" (article in Seatrade Insider)

Interesting. Might be worth enduring Carnival-like ship, albeit a small one. Especially since we're already in Florida in the winter. But we're booked up next year.

We could probably fly there easily from Florida, the paperwork is now apparently easier to obtain. Previously, we didn't risk it, even from Toronto, since it's been technically illegal for American citizens to go there, even if your passport didn't get stamped.