Any internet options besides full unlimited?

theflake

We are heading your for 10 days on Infinity next week, leaving our two kids at home. I'd like to be able to check in on them periodically, but I cannot get my head around $375 (Canadian) for a few emails! On NCL there were packages of minutes available for sale, but I only see the unlimited with Celebrity. Are there really no other options?

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

1 hourca day × 10 is still $250. Im thinking internet cafe in port or check your data roaming on your cell while in port. If you arrive in port early you maybe able to get a signal before disembarking.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

We were in the same situation, 3 couple, I upgraded to the go best promo - (already had drinks and $300 obc) for $378 cdn. That included now prepaid gratuities 7 days - we would have to pay these anyway which is around $100 us each ($270 cdn, so basically we get internet for 2 devices for $108. cdn. We will let our friends share 1 device.

Added bonus, we have the premium drink package.

Edited by Perky1

[attach]396821[/attach]

Hm odd.

X wants $237 pre-cruise for a 7 day on Reflection this November.. vs the $224 you posted.

Unlimited Internet Packages

Prices Starting From*

$237.00 USD Adult

ADD TO CART

Overview

Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle free solution to staying connected onboard.

We were on the Connie in September - they also offered a 1 day rate or a 1 hour rate - but you had to use all at once. No spreading 24 hours over so many days.

On the 6th day of a 12 night cruise they offered a 250 minutes for $99 - which could be used anytime. With our select discount of 25% it wasn't too bad.

Beginning of the cruise we just looked for port Internet.

Way too much to see if the dogs are alive. I'll check on a phone text package for when we are in port.

Not that I am using it, only curious - does X have a $3.95 'one time fee' when you sign in for the first time?

If you have Verizon, I got a package for our Panama Canal cruise. $40 gets you 100 minutes of talk and 100 outgoing texts, 100 MB of data, and unlimited incoming texts. That price is for a month. Not a great plan, but it seemed to work the best for what we needed. I will just have to watch the texting - my daughter and I can burn through 100 texts pretty quickly! :)

Cheryl

Lots of free wi fi in most of the ports..works ok if you have a small device & all u want to do is send or read a quick e mail. Many times it is faster service than on the ship!

We get free minutes from Cap Club now but when we had to pay, it was more reasonsble in cost and there were no limits on usage period...many folks need to print airline boarding passes so they'd be stuck with the last 24 hrs..

See you onboard next week.

Edited by hcat

It can be very frustrating. We couldn't sail at all if my husband couldn't connect with his business a couple times a day. Before elite and unlimited packages we would buy it ala carte and of course it was a business expense. Expensive but the alternative was we couldn't go at all. We just figured it was part of the cost of the cruise.

We used to go a little early into port, find hot spots, get a drink at a bar with Wifi, etc.

When we became elite we got free minutes. He got them all - I don't *need* to get on line and we always tell people to contact him. We would end up buying more, but at least we got some free.

For the first time next month we have been given unlimited internet for both of us, and we are also going to be elite + which gives us a lot more minutes which is a moot perk now for us. Doubtful I'll be using it very much, but at least he won't have to worry too much about slow service.

I predict the cost will go down and one of these days we'll all get it free (or nearly so) and fast.

About the time we retire and don't have to have it for work!

I second all the posters who say to go through your cellular carrier. We cruised this summer in the Med and arranged for an international plan through our carrier (Verizon). Much less expensive than the ship, though, of course you can't use it on sea days. In port, it worked great & we were able to email/ call/ text/ FaceTime with our son at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second all the posters who say to go through your cellular carrier. We cruised this summer in the Med and arranged for an international plan through our carrier (Verizon). Much less expensive than the ship, though, of course you can't use it on sea days. In port, it worked great & we were able to email/ call/ text/ FaceTime with our son at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My phone doesn't support wifi calling through Verizon. However, in chatting with Verizon customer service, it was suggested that I download Facebook Messenger and make phone calls and texts through that app. I thought that was a nice work-around idea, so am sharing it here.

Cheryl

Just remember those Verizon and AT&T plans are only good when you are in port. They don't work with the ship's cellular system.

Thank you so much for pointing that out! I contacted Verizon and I now have an acceptable work-around, going through the internet access, that won't cost me more money!

Cheryl Corcoran

Thank you so much for pointing that out! I contacted Verizon and I now have an acceptable work-around, going through the internet access, that won't cost me more money!

Cheryl Corcoran

Won't you need internet though... so you would still have to pay for internet with Celebrity?? I wish I was more technically saavy...

I'll chime in with using wifi in ports. We have US Cellular, and there isn't a international option at all, but we have smart phones. Once we hit a place were we won't be able to use our cellular we put the phones in airplane mode and just use free wifi where we can pick it up, there's normally somewhere it is available. This has worked in Russia, Sweden, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba, and Cayman Islands. We also have facebook messenger and hubby has an iphone so it works with facetime too.

T Mobile includes international text and data. Verizon has an international plan for $10 a day. We have had great success using what's app in Port with wifi. The phone connection is speed dependent, but the text works great. I also recently read about someone who has vonage and uses that to call with a computer. When you are at sea you are usually locked into the ships Internet.

We were on Connie in Feb. Had a lot of OBC, so didn't book internet ahead. Pre-cruise for out 9 night it was $199 (US). Glad we waited, bc first day on board they had a special, which, with our CC discount came to unlimited internet for 1 device was $125. We're in the same situation for our Dec. 10 night, lots of OBC, this time unlimited is $282. We'll wait till first day on board and see what they're offering. If we don't like it, well, family knows where we are and we'll just disconnect and relax. (I am an Ipad junkie though)

Won't you need internet though... so you would still have to pay for internet with Celebrity?? I wish I was more technically saavy...

As part of the Go Best package, we got unlimited internet for 2, $300 OBC, free gratuities, and the premium drink package for $45/day (i think that's how much). So when I use Facebook Messenger to text and call, it shouldn't cost much, if anything.

Cheryl

Thank you all for the input. I am hoping we see the takeover that Luvcrusn had. I can get a good deal from my cell provider while in the islands, but there is a lot of time at sea where I will not be able to connect. Thanks again!

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

Anyone know, if you are on the ship while it is in port, can you get your carrier's cell service or are you automatically connected to the ship's cell service?

Upcoming cruise on Summit where we'll be in USVI for two ports and just wondering if I can only get my cell provider's service when not on the ship?

just back from 16 day panama canal. unlimited internet was 322. I only needed to check e-mail 1x per day so that was not worth it to me. I had 90 minutes free for being elite so I used that. And then another 90 minutes free for hubby. that was enough to get us email checked every day and airline check in last day. Internet was good somedays and other days not good. One day I used 10 minutes and couldn't even download e-mail. I was in the ilounge and the gentleman that was there for support put those minutes back on my account, so if you use the computer in the ilounge he will do that if the internet is bad.

a friend bought 1 hour to check into airline. but I don't know how that worked, if he had to use it all at once?

We were on the Silhouette last month in the Med and the internet service was terrible. We only bought the one hour pkg twice over the 9 day cruise and it was a big waste of money. The rest of the time were used free wifi in the ports. Thankfully on our next cruise we'll be Elite so at least we get some free time!