1st Regent Cruise

Rocknie

DW and I are excited about having booked our first Regent Seven Seas cruise. We are Platinum cruisers on Princess and just felt it was time to try a different cruise experience. We are attuned to handling anything Princess but find ourselves ignorant to the workings of RSSC. We have a few primary questions and do appreciate your help!

We are flying out of ORD to MIA... what airline(s) does RSSC book for their flights?

We are using the pre-cruise luxury hotel option... any idea what hotel(s) RSSC use in

Miami?

What and/or how does RSSC handle embarkation?

Again thank you for your help!

Bill & Deb

Bill and Deb - welcome to the Regent board! You can get a lot of help and tips on this board.:)

I'm going to start with your last question. Regent representatives will pick you up and take you to the ship at an appointed time (times vary). Once onboard, you are given a glass of champagne and will be directed to the theater where you'll have your picture taken, your credit card swiped (for items not covered such as the spa, boutique, etc.) and will be given your room key. Then it is on to lunch in La Veranda (buffet dining venue - off of the pool deck). You can have lunch either inside La Veranda or on the pool deck where they are grilling burgers and hotdogs. There is a bar on the pool deck (or you can order drinks from your server inside La Veranda) so you can toast to your vacation. Suites are ready by 2:30 p.m. (earlier if you are in an upper suite).

I'll let someone else chime in about flights into MIA from ORD because we do our own flights when traveling within the U.S. Regent has contracts with most carriers. The airline process is a bit complex - probably more information than you need or want right now. I do recommend that you check out flights and prices and compare them to the credit you would receive from Regent by not using their air and hotel. Sometimes it pays to do your own flights and hotel but you would then lose your transfer to the ship.

Someone should be able to answer your question about which hotel(s) Regent is currently using in Miami.

Really curious as to when you are sailing, which ship and which itinerary.

If you are interested in more information about flights and/or "deviation", here is a link to that thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832227&page=5 . I would start reading towards the end of the thread as it will have the most current information.

P.S. Hope that you have a knowledgeable TA - one that not only books Regent regularly but one that gives a rebate - one that you receive before you sail.

Edited by Travelcat2

Definitely check out what credit you would receive if you do you own hotel and air. We always take the credit, and especially in Miami, where it is easy to get hotel and transportation, you would be better off doing your own thing. I prefer to arrive at port when I want, via taxi or uber, rather than having to go on a bus with a bunch of other people. Most times if you arrive not on a bus, there is very little if any wait to get checked in.

Travelcat2 & RachelG:

Thank you for the warm welcome! We are sailing March 17, 2018 - March 27, 2008 (we have three Princess cruises booked between now and then) aboard the SS Mariner (Concierge Suite) to various Caribbean locations.

I did check the difference between booking our own flights and taking Regent's air. While air prices vary widely... in looking up similar 2017 flights (airlines not booking into 2018) the costs were almost double to what Regent credit would give us. Don't understand that but I did double check.

As for embarkation, since we are staying at a Regent hotel... will the rep met us at the hotel during the transfer or will we meet at the port?

Again thank you... we're sure with all of the potential help from CC members this will be a great will be a great cruise!

Thank you again!

If you do the regent package including flight and hotel, a regent rep will meet you at the airport, and there will be a regent rep at the hotel.

How do I know this, since we always do our own air and hotel? Often the flights we take and the hotels we use are the same as the regent package. But we have deflinitely save money over the years doing our own flights and hotel.

Hello Rockne

We too are taking our very first regent cruise out of miami this fall. We usually do our own arrangements for air, hotel and ground transportation except in some more logistically challenged places like mumbai. Miami would be simple but like you, when we looked at the comparison of prices between doing it on our own and letting regent take care of it, we went for the latter. They have put us in the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables for the hotel. Enjoy your cruise. Ellen

Like Bizzie, we have let Regent do the whole "magilla". For us by the time we do our own air, transfers both ways and a hotel, we're not that far off from what we'd spend on our own.

We're on the Jan. 4, Miami RT and they've put us at "The Epic".....looks interesting.

Still don't have a flight schedule yet...

It can definitely depend on the itinerary - sometimes it's a little less expensive doing your own arrangements, sometimes it's a LOT less expensive.

That said, my wife and I almost always let Regent handle the arrangements for us. Yes, it costs more. But Regent costs more than mainstream lines, too, and we all pay that extra for the pampering of a luxury line. For us, not having to research, book, coordinate, and pay for everything separately is worth the additional money - just makes it more of a luxury experience all-around.

Just our opinion, of course.

The reason we do our own air within the U.S. is because of the distance from where we live to MIA (about 5 hours+ 1 stop). Regent will only fly you in coach across the country and we prefer business class. Other than U.S. flights, we prefer to have Regent do our air -- for us it is part of the experience of being taken care of.

I also recommend deviation (cost $175/person) as you can book flights 270 days prior to the cruise. Regent books flights around 90 days in advance of the cruise. By then there are fewer choices of flights (Regent's contracts with airlines are for a specific number of seats on specific flights).

It can definitely depend on the itinerary - sometimes it's a little less expensive doing your own arrangements, sometimes it's a LOT less expensive.

That said, my wife and I almost always let Regent handle the arrangements for us. Yes, it costs more. But Regent costs more than mainstream lines, too, and we all pay that extra for the pampering of a luxury line. For us, not having to research, book, coordinate, and pay for everything separately is worth the additional money - just makes it more of a luxury experience all-around.

Just our opinion, of course.

Couldn't have said it better! I like the idea of being TOTALLY on vacation and letting someone else do the thinking for me......at least in those respects..(giggle!) We've been pretty happy with what Regent has "thought up" in the past!

Couldn't have said it better! I like the idea of being TOTALLY on vacation and letting someone else do the thinking for me......at least in those respects..(giggle!) We've been pretty happy with what Regent has "thought up" in the past!

It was just recently that I let my wife talk me into sending our laundry out instead of spending a few hours vying for machines on board. As she said, "In the big picture, spending a bit more for laundry isn't an issue." And I'll admit, it WAS nice not having to do that myself. Next time, I'll send my shoes to be shined. :D

Seems like each cruise we take, I get just a tad bit lazier. Hahahahaha!

I am doing my second Regent cruise in 2018. I booked directly with Regent . I turned down the air. Just to easy to book myself. I also book my flights up to 330 days before a cruise not the 270. Since my cruise is post NYE I will book a hotel on the beach for a couple if days before cruise. I want to to arrive on ship when I am ready not before. If my cabin not ready before 1430 why would I come early? Also the amount of money I save on flight will pay for my room.

TRAVELCAT2 - Since this is not only our first cruise with Regent, it is also the first cruise that we didn't make all of our own travel arrangements. So please excuse us but what is a deviation? Seems to be some type of flight arrangement? Thanks again for your continued help! Happy sailing!

BIZZE - Congrats on booking your first Regent cruise. I'm sure, like us, sailing on a new cruise line can be both nerve racking and extremely exciting!! Not knowing how anything works or the ins & outs of Regent cruises make DW and I a little "uncomfortable". I'm sure it's simply because having only sailed Princess with enough cruises (Platinum) to know all of the secrets provided a genuine level of comfort. But it's nothing compared to the thrill of doing everything new for the first time on what appears to be a wonderful ship... SS Mariner! We hope you enjoy your first Regent cruise and create many fond first time memories!

P.S. We can't wait... it will be hard... however, we have three more Princess cruises before we sail on Regent... so I guess it really won't be too hard.... relaxing poolside on a lounger with a cold drink lessens the worry😀🍸😀!)

TRAVELCAT2 - Since this is not only our first cruise with Regent, it is also the first cruise that we didn't make all of our own travel arrangements. So please excuse us but what is a deviation? Seems to be some type of flight arrangement? Thanks again for your continued help! Happy sailing!

Hi again. First, if you are in a "concierge" suite or above, a pre-cruise night at a hotel is included so you would fly in to the embarkation port the day before your cruise. As RachelG mentioned, Regent will pick you up at the airport and transport you to the hotel. The following day you will be taken to the ship. If you are in a lower category suite Regent assumes you will arrive the same day as embarkation and will pick you up from the airport and take you directly to the ship. (Note: The last sentence is what I believe is the policy for lower categories - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Okay - deviation. This is basically allowing you to select your own flights/times as long as the carrier has a contract with Regent. And, as mentioned, you can do this 270 days prior to your cruise. Our TA works with Regent a lot and gives me a good idea of which airlines Regent is likely to approve. When the 270 day mark is approaching, we send two or three flight choices to our TA - they contact Regent and most of the time we get our first choice. If Regent does not approve your flight choices, you do not pay the $175/person. Alternatively, if you do not use a TA, (really hope you use one for the benefits), you can call Regent Air yourself and work out flight details with them.

It may sound like a lot of work but once it's done the rest is a piece of cake!

ellbon: One reason you might want to get to the ship when boarding begins is so that you could enjoy a leisurely lunch before going to your suite at 2:30 p.m. Many times the buses do not leave the hotel until 1:00 or 1:30 p.m. The issue we have had with staying at the hotel longer is that the check-out time is at noon (some hotels are going to an even earlier check-out time ) and we ended up storage our luggage at the hotel and finding a place to eat. We prefer getting to the ship and let Regent handle our luggage. OTOH, there may be savings by booking your own hotel and flights. Each situation is different.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Rocknie

Yes agreed a new line gives us both excitement and hope for great things. We have sailed on three different lines in the past that are considered premium to luxury. Every cruise line had its own merits and we totally enjoyed every single trip we are been on. I have heard great things about regent so I am very excited to try Mariner out. Hopefully it goes well as we are onboard her for 24 days.....longest trip yet. I always enjoy getting on the ship as early as I can to start my pampering and explore the ship with a cool cocktail in my hand.

The regent travel documents just arrived last week. A big smile on my face..... Enjoy your first experience on Mariner as I am sure it will be fabulous. Cheers Ellen

Hi again. First, if you are in a "concierge" suite or above, a pre-cruise night at a hotel is included so you would fly in to the embarkation port the day before your cruise. As RachelG mentioned, Regent will pick you up at the airport and transport you to the hotel. The following day you will be taken to the ship. If you are in a lower category suite Regent assumes you will arrive the same day as embarkation and will pick you up from the airport and take you directly to the ship. (Note: The last sentence is what I believe is the policy for lower categories - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Okay - deviation. This is basically allowing you to select your own flights/times as long as the carrier has a contract with Regent. And, as mentioned, you can do this 270 days prior to your cruise. Our TA works with Regent a lot and gives me a good idea of which airlines Regent is likely to approve. When the 270 day mark is approaching, we send two or three flight choices to our TA - they contact Regent and most of the time we get our first choice. If Regent does not approve your flight choices, you do not pay the $175/person. Alternatively, if you do not use a TA, (really hope you use one for the benefits), you can call Regent Air yourself and work out flight details with them.

It may sound like a lot of work but once it's done the rest is a piece of cake!

ellbon: One reason you might want to get to the ship when boarding begins is so that you could enjoy a leisurely lunch before going to your suite at 2:30 p.m. Many times the buses do not leave the hotel until 1:00 or 1:30 p.m. The issue we have had with staying at the hotel longer is that the check-out time is at noon (some hotels are going to an even earlier check-out time ) and we ended up storage our luggage at the hotel and finding a place to eat. We prefer getting to the ship and let Regent handle our luggage. OTOH, there may be savings by booking your own hotel and flights. Each situation is different.

Hi travelcat2! You have some great info in your response. Can you email me so I can ask you some specific questions??? my email is rransom291 at aol dot com Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
Like Bizzie, we have let Regent do the whole "magilla". For us by the time we do our own air, transfers both ways and a hotel, we're not that far off from what we'd spend on our own.

We're on the Jan. 4, Miami RT and they've put us at "The Epic".....looks interesting.

Still don't have a flight schedule yet...

We're on the same cruise. This is my first of RSS and the Mariner. My friend made our flight but haven't heard about hotel yet. The site says Coral Gables hotel. I need to get through Tuesday the 8th :rolleyes: and then I can start getting excited about this cruise. I have looked at Youtubes on the Mariner. It's starting to sink in.

Alice Faye