Eclipse pools and inflatables

Wayne79

Does anyone know if pool inflatables such as rubber rings for kids, if they are allowed in the main pool area ?

I was wondering that as we sail Friday . I think

You may well be ok with armbands and a small rubber ring or a noodle , but I'm guessing an inflatable orca or gator however great we know they are , may well get frowned upon [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the best will in the world the pools on board are not that big. I cannot understand how anyone would think it acceptable to send a child into any of them with an inflatable ! The pool in the solarium is the largest of the pools and that is an adult only area.

The main selling feature of Celebrity for me is the fact that is is a more adult environment and the children I have come across on Celebrity cruises have been respectful of that whilst still enjoying themselves.

Arm bands aren't "inflatables", they are a swimming aid. The rubber rings the older generation might remember learning to swim with are well outdated and not favoured because a child could slip through the middle of them.

Inflatables are taken to be those over-large, usually black, giant rings which people sit in, or the garish inflatable crocodiles, dragons etc. Speaking as a long time phys ed and swimming teacher,they are a pain in a nether region and often an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

I have never seen a ring type of float on any of the cruises we have done. I have seen those puddle jumpers. Just a thought but now they have various child size life vests next to the main outdoor pool for families to borrow. They are nice, free and just request you don't remove them from the pool area. We had 250 kids on our solstice cruise last week and I only saw one being used. I took a look out of curiosity and they had very small ones to older children ones. They even listed the weights next to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Honestly, if it's ON the child there should be no problem. It won't take up room. The little things you just slip on the arms aren't recommended by any reputable swim association. The vests with the arm and chest inflation are better. Many pools will only allow those as they are safer and a better way for a child to be safe in the water.

I would hate to see rings and floating things in the pools. But something worn ON the body would be fine.

Remember please no swim diapers in the pool! That's just not sanitary.

I have never seen a ring type of float on any of the cruises we have done. I have seen those puddle jumpers. Just a thought but now they have various child size life vests next to the main outdoor pool for families to borrow. They are nice, free and just request you don't remove them from the pool area. We had 250 kids on our solstice cruise last week and I only saw one being used. I took a look out of curiosity and they had very small ones to older children ones. They even listed the weights next to them.

Wow that's great of celebrity .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Honestly, if it's ON the child there should be no problem. It won't take up room. The little things you just slip on the arms aren't recommended by any reputable swim association. The vests with the arm and chest inflation are better. Many pools will only allow those as they are safer and a better way for a child to be safe in the water.

I would hate to see rings and floating things in the pools. But something worn ON the body would be fine.

Remember please no swim diapers in the pool! That's just not sanitary.

The puddle jumpers are actually USCG approved just like a traditional life jacket. Much preferred over inflatable water wings.

We had more than a few people on our most recent cruise try to bring big inflatable swans (thanks Taylor Swift) into the pool :rolleyes:

Wow that's great of celebrity .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it is great. Surprised to see some kids who were not great swimmers not wearing them. I would have loved them two years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Neverbeenthere where can I get one of those inflatables ?

Me too.....I want it so bad, I can taste it!!! :D I have one of those huge orca inflatables in my pool. I used to have a huge yellow rubber duck, but alas he is no more.

I don't see why water wings or floaties would NOT be allowed in the pool. We require them on every child who goes in our pool until they can stand with both feet flat on the bottom or demonstrate that they can swim and even then they're not allowed in the pool unless an adult is present.

By water wings/floaties, I mean the arm bands that fit on the child's upper arm and inflate around the arm so they won't fall off. Rings and tubes should not EVER be used as flotation devices for children....too easy for the child to slip out.

Now it's off to google inflatable pizza. Kids will go NUTS over that!!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

If anything I was always overcautious with my now adult kids. I see absolutely no reason young kids would be unsafe with armbands or a swim vest. This does NOT mean it would absolve me of my responsibility to keep watch over them at all times. Should those not be available, I would allow my child to use a swim ring IF (and only if) I were in the pool right next to him. The first time I cruised I knew nothing of cruise critic nor the internet (I don't think we even had a computer back then!) and I ended up having to hold my three year old in my arms the entire time. Not much fun for either of us.

Celebrity is geared more towards adults, but it is NOT an adults only cruise line. As long as that is the case, kids (for whom swimming is the best part of the trip!) need a pool to use. As long as they are safe and behaving, I have no issue with that and anyone who does needs to find a different vacation option.

Edited by phoenix_dream

Inflatables and other flotation devices are NOT permitted in the ship pools.

However, on the Summit (and I assume other ships) there is a stand nearby the outdoor pool that has multiple child size life vests for use by the littlest passengers.

As a helpful suggestion, for toddlers, I used to put my children in a suit that had a built in ring. Although I never left their side, this gave them a little bit of freedom and helped in crowded conditions.

This past summer I was at a party and there was small in ground pool there. No more than 4ft deep. A dozen 3-5 yr olds were swimming right in front of dozens of parents poolside talking. One little girl lost her arm floatie and started to panic. I was facing the pool and yelled for someone to help her. No one had noticed. Although she probably would not drown, this could have been a much more traumatic situation. Floaties give parents too much comfort.

Inflatables and other flotation devices are NOT permitted in the ship pools.

However, on the Summit (and I assume other ships) there is a stand nearby the outdoor pool that has multiple child size life vests for use by the littlest passengers.

As a helpful suggestion, for toddlers, I used to put my children in a suit that had a built in ring. Although I never left their side, this gave them a little bit of freedom and helped in crowded conditions.

This past summer I was at a party and there was small in ground pool there. No more than 4ft deep. A dozen 3-5 yr olds were swimming right in front of dozens of parents poolside talking. One little girl lost her arm floatie and started to panic. I was facing the pool and yelled for someone to help her. No one had noticed. Although she probably would not drown, this could have been a much more traumatic situation. Floaties give parents too much comfort.

I remember those bathing suits with the built in flotation ring....they were bright red!! I had one for my youngest, she hated it!! :D Of course, it goes without saying that no child should be allowed in a pool unless an adult is in the pool with them. I find your story of a dozen 3-5 year olds swimming in 4 feet of water while their parents were all talking absolutely horrifying..... There's no way a 3-5 year old is over 4' tall!! Floaties shouldn't fall off if they are inflated properly...and a 4' of water is more than deep enough for a child to drown. I wouldn't let mine in the bathtub without being in the room with them at all times.

Edited by Hydrokitty