Celebrity Shuttle in Livorno

Beanb41

On our recent cruise on the Navigator of the Seas, we were charged 5 euros per person, we were not charged for the children.

Unfortunately Celebrity don't charge in Euros and doesn't answer the question where it terminates, but thanks all the same

The shuttle goes to the main square in Livorno. We went no further but I understand from others on our roll call that it was then walking distance to the train station - but I cannot confirm that.

The rules for price are usually quite simple on Celebrity. If the shuttles are provided free by the port, they are free. If the port charges for the shuttle service, there is a standard rate which, from memory, is now $12 per person. Again from memory, there was a charge in Livorno.

Edited by Project_gal

We were on the Disney Magic last week when Equinox was also in Livorno. The shuttle was free for my relatives (into the town) so I am guessing free all round. I don't have personal experience because we hired a car, which was brought right to the ship; a great service.

Ok, so lets clear this up. The regular shuttles (actually provided by the Port and city...not the cruise line) will drop you near the Piazza Grande (used to be a McDonalds across the road). From there you can hike (a good mile) to the train station or take the #1 local bus (in the direction of the train station). However, one might consider that once you add the cost of the shuttle bus (usually about $7 per person) and a local bus....it will actually cost you more then simply sharing a taxi (4 or more persons) from the port directly to the train station (the cost should be about 25€. And if you can get a taxi to make the short haul, you will likely be at the station and on a train before a shuttle bus even leaves the port. So do yourself a favor, be among the first off your ship, head to the taxis, and try to arrange sharing a taxi with another 1 or 2 couples. If you are lucky there will be an Italian guy next to the taxis trying to organize things and you just let him (and the drivers) know you want a taxi to the "stazione." There will often be some resistance (some drivers will not do this short haul) and they will try to convince you to hire a taxi for the day (hundreds of Euros). Just hold your ground, be very polite, smile, and keep asking for a taxi to take you to the stazione. And since you are in Italy, if you talk with your hands you will feel right at home :).

If the taxi strategy fails (we have always found a taxi if we were among the early folks off a ship) you still have the shuttle bus option. But using a taxi to the station will have you in Florence at least 1 hour (perhaps 2 hours) faster then messing around with shuttle buses, local buses, long walks, etc.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Last year we paid $5/pp.

When we returned to the ship I went to Guest Relations and had the $10 refunded. My argument was that you are not allowed to walk thru the port and Taxis refused such short journeys so no alternative was available. Equally a few days later they wanted to charge $10/pp for shuttle from the dock to Dubrovnik when the itinerary stated tender to the town.

Edited by mickey89

I was in Livorno with Equinox 7. August, and the shuttle was free. Where it stopped, there were also guests from Princess cruises, and I saw they had tickets ready to show for the return to the ship, while we travelled with no charge. I almost got on the wrong shuttle when I noticed the sign in the front window.

Unfortunately Celebrity don't charge in Euros and doesn't answer the question where it terminates, but thanks all the same

To clarify the euros, we paid on the shuttle bus that took us from the ship to the centre of Livorno. We did not pay the cruise company but the bus company running the shuttle buses. Something we have never done before on any of our cruises.

To clarify the euros, we paid on the shuttle bus that took us from the ship to the centre of Livorno. We did not pay the cruise company but the bus company running the shuttle buses. Something we have never done before on any of our cruises.

The post just before yours from three weeks ago said it was free. Perhaps it changed from when you visited if it was a long time ago? Was it a Celebrity Ship you were on? Thanks

The shuttle goes to the main square in Livorno. We went no further but I understand from others on our roll call that it was then walking distance to the train station - but I cannot confirm that.

It's a long walk! The number 1 bus goes there.

Ok, so lets clear this up. The regular shuttles (actually provided by the Port and city...not the cruise line) will drop you near the Piazza Grande (used to be a McDonalds across the road). From there you can hike (a good mile) to the train station or take the #1 local bus (in the direction of the train station). However, one might consider that once you add the cost of the shuttle bus (usually about $7 per person) and a local bus....it will actually cost you more then simply sharing a taxi (4 or more persons) from the port directly to the train station (the cost should be about 25€. And if you can get a taxi to make the short haul, you will likely be at the station and on a train before a shuttle bus even leaves the port. So do yourself a favor, be among the first off your ship, head to the taxis, and try to arrange sharing a taxi with another 1 or 2 couples. If you are lucky there will be an Italian guy next to the taxis trying to organize things and you just let him (and the drivers) know you want a taxi to the "stazione." There will often be some resistance (some drivers will not do this short haul) and they will try to convince you to hire a taxi for the day (hundreds of Euros). Just hold your ground, be very polite, smile, and keep asking for a taxi to take you to the stazione. And since you are in Italy, if you talk with your hands you will feel right at home :).

If the taxi strategy fails (we have always found a taxi if we were among the early folks off a ship) you still have the shuttle bus option. But using a taxi to the station will have you in Florence at least 1 hour (perhaps 2 hours) faster then messing around with shuttle buses, local buses, long walks, etc.

Hank

THIS is the way to do it, speaking from experience.

It's a long walk! The number 1 bus goes there.

THIS is the way to do it, speaking from experience.

Perhaps we can further enlighten some folks with sample time lines. Assume my ship is docked at 7am, and the gangway is open at 7:15. DW and I might be among the first off the ship, would walk over to the taxi queue and start asking for a taxi to the local stazione (train station). By 7:30 we would usually be in a taxi (with 1 or more other couples) and on our way to the station for about 5€ per person. With a little luck we will be on one of the trains that departs at 7:43 (arr in Florence at 9:22) or at worst, we make the 8:12 (gets in Florence at 9:32). Now lets compare this to somebody using the shuttle. They get off the ship at 7:15 and there might or might not be any shuttle bus. Assume there is a bus..so they get on (pay the fare for most cruise lines) and then they sit and wait...because that bus may not even depart until around 8am. So they arrive at the shuttle drop point (about a mile from the train station) by 8:20 and now have to find their way to the station. If they are lucky...they might be able to get to the station in time for the 8:52 train (gets to Florence at 10)...but more likely they will miss that train and have to take the 9:12 (arrives at 10:32). But if they miss that 9:12.....they would have to wait an hour for the next train! And that is a real bummer.

Hank

The taxis are 9-pax taxis - driver plus 8 people. It's a flat fare from the pier to the train station whether you have one person or 8 people. Best to get a group of 6-8 and split the fare. Organize a group on your Roll Call of those of you going to Florence on your own. It's an easy tour to do on your own.

Perhaps we can further enlighten some folks with sample time lines.

The other thing to consider, having done your long day tour of Florence/Pisa/Lucca it is much less hassle to get a taxi back from the station to the ship. I shared with three others and even then for ease well worth a €20 taxi ride.

The post just before yours from three weeks ago said it was free. Perhaps it changed from when you visited if it was a long time ago? Was it a Celebrity Ship you were on? Thanks

We visited 2 weeks ago but we were on RCI Navigator of the Seas.

Hank

Well said. Thanks.