Jacket Off At Dinner Precedence?

robbie_3

Unless you have a medical condition or simply overheat due to size or metabolism, the ship maintains a pleasant temperature in all of its dining rooms therefore you should not be uncomfortable in a suit or formal jacket. Therefore, while some may do it, it is not considered proper.

I agree entirely. At certain functions I have attended it would be regarded as bad manners for a gentleman to remove his jacket and the Master of Ceremonies would usually "go and have words" with the guilty party.

Unless you have a medical condition or simply overheat due to size or metabolism, the ship maintains a pleasant temperature in all of its dining rooms therefore you should not be uncomfortable in a suit or formal jacket. Therefore, while some may do it, it is not considered proper.

Unless you have dined in all areas of a ship, this is can only be an assumption. On one tropical cruise, the temperature in our part of the restaurant was so uncomfortable each night, the skirt of the dining table was removed to try and aid air flow as the airconditioning couldn't lower the temperture enough. It didn't work and one or two gentlemen in our area removed their jackets as they were in danger of over heating.

I considered the removal of the jackets perfectly acceptable in those circumstances and no eyebrows were raised at all. Common sense has to prevail over etiquette at times.

It is my experience that when the ship has been in port all day with the doors open, the air conditioning struggles to get to the right temperature. This means that on a winter cruise the ship can be too cold while on a summer cruise the ship can be too hot. It is only in theory that the ship is held at a constant temperature.

On my last cruise I travelled with a friend who struggled with the dress code. He was not used to wearing a collar and tie and he ended up coming close to fainting from the added heat around his neck. Some people have their bodies set at a higher temperature than others. (For an example of this, while I slept under a duvet, he was comfortable with just the duvet cover.) This means there is no easy answer to this question of removing a jacket. Some people may be struggling with the heat while those around them think it is a comfortable temperature.

Hello.When we were on the Lusitanian remembered cruise, earlier this year,two chaps,I think Australian came into the Commodore one evening dressed in spats,frock coats and top hats carrying canes.I wanted to go back to the cabin to fetch the camera but was overruled.I understand they entered the embarkation hall dressed like that as well,but I didn't see them.

They did look magnificent.Just to add.I also saw one,later at a book signing,in a boater and Victorian bathing costume.

Rodger.

Edited by branston boy

It is my experience that when the ship has been in port all day with the doors open, the air conditioning struggles to get to the right temperature. This means that on a winter cruise the ship can be too cold while on a summer cruise the ship can be too hot. It is only in theory that the ship is held at a constant temperature.

On my last cruise I travelled with a friend who struggled with the dress code. He was not used to wearing a collar and tie and he ended up coming close to fainting from the added heat around his neck. Some people have their bodies set at a higher temperature than others. (For an example of this, while I slept under a duvet, he was comfortable with just the duvet cover.) This means there is no easy answer to this question of removing a jacket. Some people may be struggling with the heat while those around them think it is a comfortable temperature.

Guess he is lucky not to have been born when even the beaters on Quail hunts wore tweed jackets and ties as did the gardeners etc. Oh well we have come a long way but have we really?

I have seen people wearing a kilt in formal evenings. This is acceptable as it is Scottish national costume.

At least you get some air from down below!

Yes, as long as they are Scottish and not just regarding it as fancy dress as with some downmarket weddings.

David

David.

I cannot understand people on a Cunard Cruise who moan about the dress code, it is shown in the brochure what is expected in dress while on ship, they moan, 99% of passengers love the dress code.

this whole topic to me is depressing and pretentious. Another small reason why Cunard is not for me (us) after two cruises.
Hi edwardh1,

There has never been so much choice in ships (size, amenities, facilities), cruising itineraries, and cruising "styles" as there is today. I hope, like me, you find some that you feel happy with; many, many happy sailings for the future :)

Hello.We had two kilts at our wedding many moons ago.My wife's family though are from Scotland.I can't pass comment as to whether it was downmarket though.

Rodger.

As long as they were at least 8 - 9 yds they would be quite acceptable. There are imitation kilts being sold cheap, that look cheap!

As a matter of interest, army kilts are, on average, 33% heavier than civilian ones. (around 20 oz/yd Vs 15 oz/yd).

Unfortunately, the whole outfit takes up too much space and weight when travelling.

Stewart

There's absolutely no reason to remove a jacket for temperature reasons or indeed any other non-sartorial excuse.

But am I the only one who finds a bespoke penguin suit gets somewhat more snug and far less comfortable in the later stages of a voyage thereby restricting one's ability to eat everything put before one on the plate? It's mighty strange, it always seems to have sorted itself out by the next time we board a ship. :confused:

There's absolutely no reason to remove a jacket for temperature reasons or indeed any other non-sartorial excuse.

But am I the only one who finds a bespoke penguin suit gets somewhat more snug and far less comfortable in the later stages of a voyage thereby restricting one's ability to eat everything put before one on the plate? It's mighty strange, it always seems to have sorted itself out by the next time we board a ship. :confused:

I suppose at the end of the day, it depends what you want out of your evening dining experience. If you want a fellow guest to have sweat running down his face and are happy at his eventual departure from the table because he is so uncomfortable in his jacket because of the heat, then yes, by all means have a jacket required at all times rule.

I belong to the group which has the common sense to realise that when the air-conditioning can't cope with the heat, there are a couple of occasions when it's OK to remove a jacket.

We had an informal night last year when no jacket was required. The early arrival at port and subsequent rushed tours put on, called for such an approach to dining and that evening the change was heartily approved by all around us.

I suppose at the end of the day, it depends what you want out of your evening dining experience. If you want a fellow guest to have sweat running down his face and are happy at his eventual departure from the table because he is so uncomfortable in his jacket because of the heat, then yes, by all means have a jacket required at all times rule.

I belong to the group which has the common sense to realise that when the air-conditioning can't cope with the heat, there are a couple of occasions when it's OK to remove a jacket.

We had an informal night last year when no jacket was required. The early arrival at port and subsequent rushed tours put on, called for such an approach to dining and that evening the change was heartily approved by all around us.

Victoria2, I have observed this thread with much interest not least because of the importance of etiquette and standards. I am so pleased to read your common sense approach, certainly for me there is the odd night I feel in that camp of which you describe and I am in total agreement, I cannot believe that Cunard would want to see a passenger in such a quandary, after all it's a holiday. :)

wonder what the root fear of any "relaxation of standards" is ?

-will it cause the present demographic of cunard travelers to change?

-will it attract younger people or more kids?

-will it cause the dining room experience to change? many forum topics seem food related and status onboard the ship related (who eats where and with whom and when) . Maybe thats a main attraction of Cunard.

- will it mark the end of some type of era which may be more dear to the hearts of the British, than perhaps other nations.

it does seem to be a touchy subject.

Presumably you would not be permitted to enter the dining room without wearing a jacket. If you can then remover it when you are seated, then what's the point?

David.

When arriving at the restaurant, diners are usually anticipating a pleasant evening over dinner. Jackets are required and worn as dictated. However if the air-conditioning fails to keep the temperature at a comfortable level, then it is perfectly permissible for those experiencing heat problems, to remove their jackets. If you haven't experienced the situation where even the Maitre'd is involved in the heat discussions, then you can't understand how desperately uncomfortable it is for some [some, not all] passengers to continue wearing their jackets.

The solution is down to Cunard's air-conditioning engineers to rectify and if that isn't possible then etiquette is a secondary issue to that of the well being of the paying passenger whose comfort or even health could be at risk.

Those two words. Common Sense.

Wonder what the root fear of any "relaxation of standards" is ?

-will it cause the present demographic of Cunard travelers to change?

-will it attract younger people or more kids?

-will it cause the dining room experience to change? Many forum topics seem food related and status on board the ship related (who eats where and with whom and when). Maybe that is a main attraction of Cunard.

- will it mark the end of some type of era which may be more dear to the hearts of the British, than perhaps other nations.

It does seem to be a touchy subject.

All of the above. These are important to us who like the Cunard formal atmosphere.

This thread started with a hypothetical situation. (Although I do have to admit that using the inadequate air conditioning angle is a good one.) Whenever I see an "is this acceptable..." thread it seems to be not so much of a question as it is a quest for support. "I know it's really NOT acceptable but if a couple of other forum members tell me it's fine than I'm covered.":eek: