Jacket Off At Dinner Precedence?

robbie_3

Yes, they do! :D

As I have related elsewhere, Australian friends, experienced cruisers, were over here for a couple of months and while here they booked a cruise on QV, expecting to do their research in the week before the cruise, once the documentation arrived by post. Unfortunately they were stuck in Budapest for that week because of no flights (the volcano and ash cloud) and only got back the day before their cruise. All documentation was being held in the post office and they could not access it. They wore clothes that had been acceptable on other lines, i.e. a dark sports coat for my male friend and lovely dresses for wife and daughter. They skipped the first formal night but went along to the second and were treated with acceptance by everyone except the photographer who skipped their table. (His loss, as they usually buy photographs.)

Unless your friends actually gave their money to a man in the street the "research" was available where they paid.Either online or with the travel agent in a brochure

Yes, they do! :D

As I have related elsewhere, Australian friends, experienced cruisers, were over here for a couple of months and while here they booked a cruise on QV, expecting to do their research in the week before the cruise, once the documentation arrived by post. Unfortunately they were stuck in Budapest for that week because of no flights (the volcano and ash cloud) and only got back the day before their cruise. All documentation was being held in the post office and they could not access it. They wore clothes that had been acceptable on other lines, i.e. a dark sports coat for my male friend and lovely dresses for wife and daughter. They skipped the first formal night but went along to the second and were treated with acceptance by everyone except the photographer who skipped their table. (His loss, as they usually buy photographs.)

Thank you fantasy51,

Well if people really do part with a lot of money without doing even basic research, then the expression "A fool and his money are easily parted" comes to mind. Not just cruises, but in many areas of life.

(I hadn't realised that the internet hadn't reached Budapest yet (and incidentally, if they couldn't fly, they were not "stuck")).

But it turns out that they had the correct clothes anyway, jacket for him, dresses for her (x2) (;)). I'm sure one of the fellow male passengers would have loaned a tie for the formal nights, or the shops would provide one. Pleased to read that it all worked out well in the end for them both. I hope they enjoyed their time on board QV.

Thanks again :)

Edited by pepperrn

Well if people really do part with a lot of money without doing even basic research, then the expression "A fool and his money are easily parted" comes to mind. Not just cruises, but in many areas of life.

(I hadn't realised that the internet hadn't reached Budapest yet (and incidentally, if they couldn't fly, they were not "stuck")).

As in every story, there is a lot more involved than is related - like spending days visiting the airport as instructed, or standing in line trying to get train tickets out and then suffering a slight TIA while in a line and having to spend a couple of days in a Budapest hospital having tests. Add in trying to coordinate with the daughter who was stranded in Riga. Certainly no time for research.

The stories I heard from stranded tourists from that time were terrible - hours and even days in queues trying to get train tickets or alternative transport out of the country.

I think you are being rather harsh with 'A fool and his money ...' in light of the fact that I said in the previous post that they had planned to do their research in the intervening week. These are experienced cruisers who travel on any line from Greek ferries through MSC to Seabourne and know the basics of cruising. In such a case, all that is needed is a little research in order to find out how this line is different. In fact, that's why they booked the cruise. Normally they will book on any line that has the destination they want. This time they booked any destination just to experience a Cunard cruise.

Sometimes it helps to trust people and think the best of them, rather than jumping to harsh conclusions.

Edited by fantasy51

...I think you are being rather harsh with 'A fool and his money ...' in light of the fact that I said in the previous post that they had planned to do their research in the intervening week....

To take a "fire, aim, ready" approach to booking a costly vacation can have expensive consequences, as in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270117

:(

... Sometimes it helps to trust people and think the best of them, rather than jumping to harsh conclusions.
My sincere apologies, I also agree completely with your statement above.

However, I was basing my view on this:

... Unfortunately they were stuck in Budapest for that week because of no flights ...
I didn't realise that they were in Budapest for medical reasons:
... having to spend a couple of days in a Budapest hospital having tests ...
I now understand why they couldn't leave; it would have been unwise to travel (by whatever means) even if they had been able. Thank you :) . Edited by pepperrn

To take a "fire, aim, ready" approach to booking a costly vacation can have expensive consequences, as in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2270117

:(

In that case the OP took full responsibility for not having taken in the agents' explanations over the phone, before booking, of the need for injections and malaria tablets. It was indeed a 'senior moment', very different from that of my friends where a natural disaster upset their plans.

In that case the OP took full responsibility for not having taken in the agents' explanations over the phone, before booking, of the need for injections and malaria tablets. It was indeed a 'senior moment', very different from that of my friends where a natural disaster upset their plans.

I was responding to your comment in post #123, where you mentioned, "...Australian friends, experienced cruisers, were over here for a couple of months and while here they booked a cruise on QV, expecting to do their research in the week before the cruise, once the documentation arrived by post...."

Obviously the volcano was out of their control and caused major personal and economic disruptions throughout Europe. But my point is that they booked before doing research. As often happens with our plans life intervenes.

Thank you Pepperrn. I know that you and I are normally in agreement on things. This thread has been a change. :D

Actually, to add further to the story, they were fortunate enough to get about the first flight out of Budapest after the ash cloud. There were no flights for about a week and all the trains were full. They were also fortunate that their daughter in Riga met somebody with embassy connections and could hitch a ride to another country with more frequent trains and better connections. She then caught a train to Budapest and joined them on their flight back to London. It was quite a frantic last day.

I had a friend in poor health who had to queue at the train station for about a day in order to get himself and his colleagues home from a conference in Rome. As he was the one with the work credit card, he had to queue. At least train connections from Rome were more frequent than from Budapest so he was more fortunate.

I am sure there were even worse stories of that time.

Thank you Pepperrn. I know that you and I are normally in agreement on things. This thread has been a change. :D
Hi fantasy51,

Yes we are :) :) ! However, just because in life we may hold different views on some subjects with others, whose opinions we none the less usually greatly value, does not mean one has to fall out.

I've friends who have opposing political views to my own, but they are superb travelling companions on board Cunard ships (I think we've been on the same cruise or crossing about six or seven times now). We simply stay off contentious subjects, friendship is too valuable.

Thank you again, with sincere best wishes and many happy sailings :)

• 1 month later...

Never saw anyone take off their jacket and drape it across a chair back in the dining room. I suppose they might also tend to roll up their shirt sleeves and remove their ties. There's a place for that; Carnival Cruise Lines.

Just come back from a Carribean cruise on the QE , 24 fantastic days. The air con kept everything cool while travelling round the islands and no one took their jacket off except sometimes in the Queens room while dancing, certainly not in the restaurants. Oddly enough they turned the heating up as we were getting near home despite the temp never dropping to below 15 degrees across the Atlantic, ( amazing for Dec!) As for jackets on the last night , my husband wears the jacket he will travel home in, no big deal at all. This cruise was one of the most dressed up I have seen despite only 6 formals, some amazing dresses. Only saw one guy who was rather informal with a tracksuit on around the ship on a formal evening.Peope were even wearing jackets in the lido.

Thanks for reporting back, that certainly reflects my experience, ship temperature is usually fairly consistent and not likely to make anyone feel the need to remove a jacket for dinner.

The OP should be back from his trip now I wonder how he got on.

Never saw anyone take off their jacket and drape it across a chair back in the dining room. I suppose they might also tend to roll up their shirt sleeves and remove their ties. There's a place for that; Carnival Cruise Lines.

On the QV World Cruise this year we saw this happen on a number of occasions, including formal nights, and no one was asked to put them back on again.

If gentlemen find they get excessively overheated in the dining room; the next time they cruise, why not just take a pair of cuffs with nice cufflinks and a false shirt front panel with a bow tie. These may be worn under a tuxedo jacket without detection. I got the idea from a waiter from a night spot which a young lady I know uses. She knows this because she says the ladies try and get him to remove his jacket apparently.

Regards John

I haven't read the whole thread but I find it difficult to imagine that the temperature will be suitable for both my husband in a dinner suit and me in an evening gown. One of us (in a jacket) is likely to be too warm while the other (in a strap dress) is likely to be too cold. Is it OK for him to remove his jacket if it is for me to put around my shoulders?

I haven't read the whole thread but I find it difficult to imagine that the temperature will be suitable for both my husband in a dinner suit and me in an evening gown. One of us (in a jacket) is likely to be too warm while the other (in a strap dress) is likely to be too cold. Is it OK for him to remove his jacket if it is for me to put around my shoulders?

It's a well known fact that women feel the cold more than men resulting in the constant up/down of the thermostat in many homes, so maybe the solution would be for husband to wear the strap dress and the wife the tux.

I don't normally charge for advice by the way.

David.

This is one of more enjoyable threads on CC :). One can only hope that Cunard never gives up its "snob" appeal as it is refreshing in this age when proper dress and decorum seems to have become a forgotten art. But we do fear for the future of Cunard's strict dress guidelines as the company is owned by CCL who has been gradually relaxing dress requirements on nearly every other line. Most recently, HAL has done away with "formal" nights. Just this month Celebrity (owned by RCI) has replaced formal nights with "Chic" nights. And 2 days ago we received an e-mail survey from Princess asking about their dress codes...with the apparent goal of eliminating formal nights. We do hope that Cunard resists this trend.

Hank

This is one of more enjoyable threads on CC :). One can only hope that Cunard never gives up its "snob" appeal as it is refreshing in this age when proper dress and decorum seems to have become a forgotten art. But we do fear for the future of Cunard's strict dress guidelines as the company is owned by CCL who has been gradually relaxing dress requirements on nearly every other line. Most recently, HAL has done away with "formal" nights. Just this month Celebrity (owned by RCI) has replaced formal nights with "Chic" nights. And 2 days ago we received an e-mail survey from Princess asking about their dress codes...with the apparent goal of eliminating formal nights. We do hope that Cunard resists this trend.

Hank

Totally agree with your comments. Cunard is known for the dress code and it should stay that way. As you say, there are plenty of other cruise lines that don't "do formal", so people have a lot of choice to go to if they don't like formal. I always think the ship looks really lovely when everyone is dressed up.

There is something good about a really high quota of dinner jackets (tuxedos!) on a proper formal night, and I for one am sorry that Celebrity have just decided to move to "Chic". Apart from anything else, I find the black tie approach makes it so easy to choose what to wear! And, as for luggage restrictions, my dinner suit is probably my lightest weight suit. Although I am not sure that suits are the real weight problem when it comes to airline baggage. It always seems to me that shoes are the real culprit.

But.....(isn't there always a "but"), I do wonder if Cunard will find it possible to hold out for formal nights in the longer term. It is very clear where the industry is headed and in the end the next generation of customers will have to be attracted or the Cunard brand (because that is what it is to the owners: just a brand like any other) will go out of business. Eventually we will have to choose: Cunard without formal nights or no Cunard. I rather think that this choice will have to made sooner rather than later. And I will opt to keep Cunard!

One further thought! I sometimes think that geography can be a factor. On a crossing, formal attire seems VERY appropriate to the occasion. But sometimes I think that dark suits, etc. do look a bit odd in the Caribbean. And judging from our experience where we have sailed the same lines in different hemispheres, European sailings have always seemed more "formal" in the evenings than, for example, the Caribbean and US originating trips.

Looking forward to enjoying formal nights on our next crossing on the refurbished QM2 in 2016, I also hope they might have repaired the seats in Illuminations.

Thanks for reporting back, that certainly reflects my experience, ship temperature is usually fairly consistent and not likely to make anyone feel the need to remove a jacket for dinner.

The OP should be back from his trip now I wonder how he got on.

Hi Hattie, gosh is this thread still running? I have to concur with Violetta58, the recent grand caribbean cruise was a wonderful trip and for me, the on board temperature on this particular cruise during the 28 days was an almost constant comfortable temperature both in Todd English and in the Britannia MDR. This was good news as I would much prefer to keep a jacket on at the table. I also choose to sail Cunard because it's one of the last cruise lines to uphold the smart formal dress code.

Hi Hattie, gosh is this thread still running? I have to concur with Violetta58, the recent grand caribbean cruise was a wonderful trip and for me, the on board temperature on this particular cruise during the 28 days was an almost constant comfortable temperature both in Todd English and in the Britannia MDR. This was good news as I would much prefer to keep a jacket on at the table. I also choose to sail Cunard because it's one of the last cruise lines to uphold the smart formal dress code.

Good to hear your post-voyage report, robbie_3. Thanks for beginning this thread full-circle.