There's been talk here whether Istanbul will be dropped by "X". Breaking News.

A Sixth?

I regret that I put it off Istanbul despite cruising Europe every summer now for ten years or so.... :(

edit

Live news feed coming in... looks nasty

Edited by Host Walt

I regret that I put it off Istanbul despite cruising Europe every summer now for ten years or so.... :(

edit

Live news feed coming in... looks nasty

[/img]

Heartbreaking...I am sorry you missed it too. It was a wonderful city and experience. I am thinking now of other wonderful places we were fortunate enough to visit that we no longer can....Egypt and the Ukraine were two that most immediately come to mind. Wonderful experiences, history, people....it's so sad the suffering they have had to endure. :(

Edited by Host Andy

I believe Celebrity has ships embarking/debarking there this fall.

I am supposed to be finishing our cruise in Sept in Istanbul, and flying home from this airport! Time for me to re-think my cruise! Celebrity, time for you to also re-think your ports!

Sad. Was there the Saturday before last (18th) to join the Equinox. I was nervous but fellow cruisers seemed complacent about arriving and touring Istanbul. It was noted X did not offer any shore excursions.

Apart from a chaotic mirrors under vehicles check, I could see no extra security at the port amazingly. Our final port Civitavecchia and Rome itself had very tight security: armed police and soldiers all round Rome.

Was there a week ago: flew Heathrow to Ataturk Airport, private transfer to Equinox near the centre of Istanbul. Many fellow cruisers took the opportunity to visit Istanbul before embarkation. Security around the port was not exceptional. Istanbul is an extremely busy, chaotic but fascinating destination. However, warnings have been issued, attacks have happened on tourists and tourist spots, X needs to reconsider the risks it's imposing on its customers urgently.

Wonder if Celebrity will issue a statement? We are scheduled to fly into Istanbul the 6th of September for our cruise on the 7th. If they cancel it will really impact our flight plans.

A tragedy for the victims.:(

I am supposed to be finishing our cruise in Sept in Istanbul, and flying home from this airport! Time for me to re-think my cruise! Celebrity, time for you to also re-think your ports!

The World is a dangerous place, Brussels Airport bombings, Egypt Air brought down, attacks in France and now Istanbul Airport. Probably all brought on by ISIS. Their strategy is to wreck economies by scaring tourists off.

We have a September Cruise out of Istanbul and my understanding is security is very tight, these bombers were not able to get into the Airport and the incident was outside. Security will be even tighter in the future and I hope that Celebrity will not buckle and give in to the terrorists.

Wonder if Celebrity will issue a statement? We are scheduled to fly into Istanbul the 6th of September for our cruise on the 7th. If they cancel it will really impact our flight plans.

A tragedy for the victims.:(

I've called Celebrity about the attacks and they are now considering the options. I don't know this but I would assume they would change the embarkation point. Does anyone know whether this has happened before?

Although I had to cancel our tour last year, Celebrity changed the length of time in Istanbul port from overnight to a few hours.

I am on a cruise in July that ends in Istanbul and I honestly hope they do not change this. I also agree that security is going to be even tighter. Also unfortunately these days this can happen pretty much anywhere, anytime. I have no plans to stop traveling.

I just spoke with celebrity 10 minutes ago and they have not made any decisions regarding Istanbul at this time. They did say that if any changes to the itinerary occur, they will make prompt notification to the passengers.

They need time to evaluate the situation.

If Istanbul is your embarkation or debarkation port, you have a problem. Airport will likely be closed while they investigate the bombings. If Istanbul is just a port stop, the cruise line should skip it. If they don't skip it, I would not get off the ship. Most likely the cruise will skip Istanbul and replace it with another port. Safety dictates changes.

So am I. Please make the decision now before the final payment as you did to me last year.:confused:

If Istanbul is your embarkation or debarkation port, you have a problem. Airport will likely be closed while they investigate the bombings. If Istanbul is just a port stop, the cruise line should skip it. If they don't skip it, I would not get off the ship. Most likely the cruise will skip Istanbul and replace it with another port. Safety dictates changes.

Istanbul is already cancelled as a port stop. Our Constellation cruise in April which was supposed to have had an overnight in Istanbul was changed to Kusadasi, Rhodes visits and an overnight in Athens. Not sure how they could change a start or finish of a cruise in Istanbul.

I wonder if the USA had a mass killing similar to what has just happened in the USA in Miami or Fort Lauderdale would Americans be calling for these two ports to be closed for cruise ships as terrorist risks.

One has to be careful when calling for bans and boycotts. The possible threat of something happening means the terrorists are winning.

That sermon said I wouldn't be going to Istanbul at the moment

Istanbul is already cancelled as a port stop. Our Constellation cruise in April which was supposed to have had an overnight in Istanbul was changed to Kusadasi, Rhodes visits and an overnight in Athens. Not sure how they could change a start or finish of a cruise in Istanbul.

I wonder if the USA had a mass killing similar to what has just happened in the USA in Miami or Fort Lauderdale would Americans be calling for these two ports to be closed for cruise ships as terrorist risks.

One has to be careful when calling for bans and boycotts. The possible threat of something happening means the terrorists are winning.

That sermon said I wouldn't be going to Istanbul at the moment

This is the repetitive occurrence terrorists attacked on the same city for the past few months.

This show the weakness of the security and safety there.

Yes if this happen multiple times on one particular port in the USA.There should consider closing the port temporally for security and safety reason.:rolleyes:

Edited by iSailor