Taking a bike on board

We cruise often on Princess and I always take my folding bike. It only weighs 30 lbs folded up and its checked like luggage. I assume RCCL will not have an issue with that. People always look at me in a odd way when I carry it down the hall and into elevators and always ask...where did you get that? On Princess they oftern store it for me on the disembarkation deck and I get it before getting off. Think RCCL will have an issue with it?

I think cruise lines should keep a supply of mountain bikes and rent them for use on port days. I love heading out and spending hours cycling around...best way to see the island/country.

We cruise often on Princess and I always take my folding bike. It only weighs 30 lbs folded up and its checked like luggage. I assume RCCL will not have an issue with that. People always look at me in a odd way when I carry it down the hall and into elevators and always ask...where did you get that? On Princess they oftern store it for me on the disembarkation deck and I get it before getting off. Think RCCL will have an issue with it?

I think cruise lines should keep a supply of mountain bikes and rent them for use on port days. I love heading out and spending hours cycling around...best way to see the island/country.

The best way to know the answer is to call RCCL directly and find out. IF the answer is FINE, then get it in writing and bring that written OK with you when you board the ship.

The last thing you want to have happen is believe it is OK because you spoke to someone in corporate and then get to the ship to leave on your cruise to have them have a different POV.

I'n not sure it is safe to assume RCCL will allow your bike. We told told NO bikes on RCCL of any kind for our cruise last October in the Med. The FAQ's state no bikes. I would call to see if your folding bike would be allowed. We ended up on Holland America. We rented bikes in Barcelona and rode at every port. It was a wonderful trip.

I don't know if RCCL still allow it, but I randomly met the same couple, on 2 different cruises (a T/A in 2010 and a Med cruise 2012) who did just as you are suggesting. Both had a folding bike; RCCL stored them on the couples behalf and were seen at every port cycling around.

I'n not sure it is safe to assume RCCL will allow your bike. We told told NO bikes on RCCL of any kind for our cruise last October in the Med. The FAQ's state no bikes. .

Did not find where RCCL's FAQ states no bikes.. On the contrary RCCL's website does not list Bicycles as a "Prohibited Item". Here's the link

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Additionally RCCL's "Guest Conduct Policy" only states that use of a bicycles is prohibited on board. It does not state that a Guest is prohibited from bringing a bicycle on board for use in ports. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

However RCCL's website does not always have the most current information so suggest OP call to check.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Finally some conversation about biking...great! I tried bringing it up on the New England board regarding out upcoming cruise, and didn't get many replies. I think the idea of the ships renting bikes is fantastic. Wish they would. I'm having to research where to rent bikes on our upcoming New England cruise. It is a great way to see a port.

Finally some conversation about biking...great! I tried bringing it up on the New England board regarding out upcoming cruise, and didn't get many replies. I think the idea of the ships renting bikes is fantastic. Wish they would. I'm having to research where to rent bikes on our upcoming New England cruise. It is a great way to see a port.

We did the Acadia Bike tour in Bar Harbor and it was very nice. However, the Coastal Bike Tour in Halifax was absolutely amazing. The ride itself, was about 10-12 miles and not challenging. However the scenery was breathtaking. I was stopping every minute to take pictures because each view was better than the last. It was a one way trip that ended at the ocean (bonus!).

You are riding on an old train track so there is not traffic. If your cruise includes Halifax, I highly recommend this!

If I could figure out how to include photos, I'd give you a sampling....

Edited by galavant3

I agree that a supply of bikes onboard would be great, and I understand a few of the Euro cruise lines have them.

A few years back we did a transatlantic on RC or X, and a couple we met onboard each had a road bike, as they were touring in Europe after the cruise. They kept the bikes in their room.

We did the Acadia Bike tour in Bar Harbor and it was very nice. However, the Coastal Bike Tour in Halifax was absolutely amazing. The ride itself, was about 10-12 miles and not challenging. However the scenery was breathtaking. I was stopping every minute to take pictures because each view was better than the last. It was a one way trip that ended at the ocean (bonus!).

You are riding on an old train track so there is not traffic. If your cruise includes Halifax, I highly recommend this!

If I could figure out how to include photos, I'd give you a sampling....

Wow thanks for the info! I looked at the Arcadia Bike tour in Bar Harbor, but have not seen anything about the Coastal Bike in Halifax...that sounds amazing. Was this a Royal excursion or something else you found there? We have reserved a 4 hour taxi tour already to Peggy's Cove, I wonder if we would have time to do both. Do you recall how long that excursion was?

Wow thanks for the info! I looked at the Arcadia Bike tour in Bar Harbor, but have not seen anything about the Coastal Bike in Halifax...that sounds amazing. Was this a Royal excursion or something else you found there? We have reserved a 4 hour taxi tour already to Peggy's Cove, I wonder if we would have time to do both. Do you recall how long that excursion was?

Here is the website (I am pretty sure...) and we took the Salt Marsh Trail. It was 3-4 hours. We did it though the ship but it wasn't Royal. I'm not sure you'd have time for both.

The New England cruise was one of my all time favorites. Enjoy!

Here is the website (I am pretty sure...) and we took the Salt Marsh Trail. It was 3-4 hours. We did it though the ship but it wasn't Royal. I'm not sure you'd have time for both.

The New England cruise was one of my all time favorites. Enjoy!

Thought we probably would not have time to do both...guess this means we'll need to go back!

Thanks for your info.

• 3 years later...

I just emailed Royal Caribbean and asked if I can carry on my folding bicycle and store it in my stateroom. The answer is YES!

From RCCL: "Bicycles are permitted onboard. However, guests should be advised that they must be stored in their stateroom and are not to be used, displayed or carried in public areas."

I just emailed Royal Caribbean and asked if I can carry on my folding bicycle and store it in my stateroom. The answer is YES!

From RCCL: "Bicycles are permitted onboard. However, guests should be advised that they must be stored in their stateroom and are not to be used, displayed or carried in public areas."

I'd print out that email and make sure you take it along with you.

I've seen them on Royal ships. You just might be called to the naughty room. That's where my husband saw one.....while we were getting our luggage checked.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums