Formal night

Bazzybuggs

Although so many people say formal night is great, it's not really our thing. As this is our first cruise we plan to give it a miss and do something else. My question is: is it a common choice to give it a miss and would there be other things to do instead?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although so many people say formal night is great, it's not really our thing. As this is our first cruise we plan to give it a miss and do something else. My question is: is it a common choice to give it a miss and would there be other things to do instead?

What once was a formal night is now an elegant night. You can wear just about anything but shorts. I would not skip dinner that night just because of your thoughts of elegant night. Most people wear business casual. This is from Carnival's website "Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire". That leave a lot of different cloths to wear. Be yourself it is your vacation and enjoy everything you paid for, we do!!!

Have fun and relax!!

Formal night is no more, you can enjoy the MDR in slacks and a button down shirt. Don't quite understand what you mean in "other things to do" it's just dinner.

I was under the impression it was more than dinner for some reason. Thanks for clarifying

I was under the impression it was more than dinner for some reason. Thanks for clarifying

There are some cruise lines that suggest your elegant wear be worn all night. Carnival is not one of those.

Last week on the Splendor, both elegant nights were very fluid in what people wore. Some people had on basketball shorts, sandals, etc., khakis, jeans, suits, jackets, you name it. There was no right or wrong and nobody was turned away regardless of what they were wearing. They may of turned people in bathing suits away but wasn't sure. I just know what I saw inside the MDR. Wear what you want and enjoy your dinner and cruise!!

You don't have to do it. If it's first elegant night on a 6 day or longer trip they serve lobster and prime rib in MDR.

might depend on the Maitre'd, in January on the Magic, anyone attempting to enter the MDR in shorts were turned away, very politely. Funny, the 2 couples behind us, we heard the wives say, we told you so. The guys went back to the room and put on slacks.

I've done all elegant nights in a pretty Sun dress with a light cover over my shoulders. I would slip the cover over my chair at the table and never felt under dressed. Hubs wears a nice, short sleeve button up shirt (no tie) ... And nice jeans and dress shoes. We seem to blend in just fine.

We try to never skip dinner. It's so much better than lido food and gives us a chance to try new things, have adult conversations and devise a plan for that nights activities.

I think we should be able to dress for dinner how ever we want ! Captain's dinner or not ! We are the ones paying for the cruise !

Dress code is part of the guidelines you agree to abide by when you pay for your passage.

I would prefer not to stare at some guys armpit hair or crack while I'm trying to eat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dress code is part of the guidelines you agree to abide by when you pay for your passage.

I would prefer not to stare at some guys armpit hair or crack while I'm trying to eat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am in total agreement. Had a maître d on either the Freedom or the Liberty a few years ago who was politely and humorously turning away the "underdressed".

I am in total agreement. Had a maître d on either the Freedom or the Liberty a few years ago who was politely and humorously turning away the "underdressed".

I agree as well. .. There has to be a limit. The same is true on land. Some restaurants call for dress attire and others are fine with flip flops.

I think the maitre d should be able to use their discretion on what attire comes in based on the cruise lines dress code.

I think the maitre d should be able to use their discretion on what attire comes in based on the cruise lines dress code.
I fear that that could result in unacceptable inconsistency. I'd rather the maitre d just apply the requirements of the dress code.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think we should be able to dress for dinner how ever we want ! Captain's dinner or not ! We are the ones paying for the cruise !

Taking a shower and throwing on some clean clothes surely can't be such a horrid imposition? And the Lido buffet is always available for anyone who chooses not to dress or want to wear shorts on those one or 2 nights.

The "suggested dress code" doesn't require anything fancy. I wear capris and a top with sparkles - husband wears khakis, polo shirt and loafers with no socks.

The thought of sitting next to some guy in a tank top with armpit hair hanging out is not totally appetizing. :D :rolleyes::eek:

PS - on Carnival it's not the Captain's Dinner ... what was formal night is now an "elegant night" with that very loose dress code suggestion.

Edited by summersigh

I enjoyed the old days, when almost everyone dressed up. Now it's much more casual and whatever you would wear to church is sufficient for "elegant nights"..We still dress up nicer but that's our choice, you can always wear what you want at the Lido buffet and they serve almost the same meals as in the MDR.

:cool:

You paid for a cruise that had that stipulation. If you don't like to dress than you may want to look at NCL. They are freestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No need to worry much about the elegant attire. The food is good on elegant night and is worth going in my opinion. We don't go all out on dress. I just wear a solid color shirt with a pair of nice pants or capris. Husband wears a button down shirt and khakis and is frequently better dressed than others in attendance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wear long linen slacks, a colorful or Caribbean-themed or colorful lightweight collared shirt, and I get away with closed-toe sandals. I do not pack any shoes this way.

I recommend attending dinner that night because the food is better than the other nights.

If you are worried about other people, don't, Carnival peeps are generally not snobby about elegant night and there will be lots of people just dressing the minimum.

Ok, what do you tell your husband when he announces he's not packing any long pants?

This is our first vacation flying in nearly a decade. And he's trying to pack the mere minimum. T-shirts, underwear, swim trunks and a few pairs of shorts. Me? I don't relish the thought of eating all my meals on the Lido. And I want my elegant night lobster. And eating separate is out of the question.

Come on, one nice top and one pair of pants isn't going to kill him. Plus a bottle of Tide to Go. Right?

Ok, what do you tell your husband when he announces he's not packing any long pants?

This is our first vacation flying in nearly a decade. And he's trying to pack the mere minimum. T-shirts, underwear, swim trunks and a few pairs of shorts. Me? I don't relish the thought of eating all my meals on the Lido. And I want my elegant night lobster. And eating separate is out of the question.

Come on, one nice top and one pair of pants isn't going to kill him. Plus a bottle of Tide to Go. Right?

He won't need long pants. He will be able to wear shorts, even on elegant night and be fine. There are dozens of people in shorts on elegant night last week on our sailing. I wore shorts every night to dinner as well. He's fine.

He won't need long pants. He will be able to wear shorts, even on elegant night and be fine.

I don't agree with this, as I have witnessed people in shorts not just being refused entry, but being picked out for a "consultation" while they were still in line. There is a good chance he will be told to go back to his cabin and change into long pants.

If he refuses to pack long pants, he's a lot like me and he can do what I do. Wear long pants on the flight/embarkation day and recycle them for each elegant night.

Hopefully he'll launder them before second elegant night, especially if he's at our table. :D

I don't agree with this, as I have witnessed people in shorts not just being refused entry, but being picked out for a "consultation" while they were still in line. There is a good chance he will be told to go back to his cabin and change into long pants.

If he refuses to pack long pants, he's a lot like me and he can do what I do. Wear long pants on the flight/embarkation day and recycle them for each elegant night.

Hopefully he'll launder them before second elegant night, especially if he's at our table. :D

The last 2 Carnival ships I have been on, there have been people in shorts, t-shirts, sandals, etc., on elegant night. Nobody was turned away that I could tell. Maybe in bathing suits, but I don't know. I just know what I saw in the MDR on the 2 elegant nights. It was numerous people like this, not just 1 or 2 kids.