The Squeaky Wheel......

It is not my intent to start another room service fee thread, just to share the experience I had.

The day the fee was announced I wrote an email to Royal to share my thoughts. Within 24 hours I received a phone call from a gentleman in RC customer service. We had a 15 minute conversation about the change and my thoughts on it, and the phone call ended.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when we got on the Liberty. We got to our cabins and there was a plate of fruit on the table with no note. There was also 6 extra bottles of Evian on the counter as well. We ran into our room attendant and asked her about it and she didn't have any idea. Later that evening while having dinner the Maitre D came to the table to check on us and he mentioned that someone had gifted a bottle of wine to us. I had no idea who it could have been, so he left and came back with a note. It was from the gentleman I spoke to about the service fee.

I really did not expect anything, but in the end we received the fruit plate, the 6 bottles of water, a bottle of wine, a snack plate later in the week that we didn't order and bathrobes. I am not sure if everyone gets robes with a balcony, but my kids next door didn't. I guess the squeaky wheel does get the oil....

I guess I should have shared that. No, we did not. Not because of the fee, more because of our eating habits. We just didn't have the need.

I did tell the kids they needed to check with me first if they used room service. They didn't either.

I just planned on going to the desk when I board and asking if it can be waived since when we booked it it was "included" and now it's extra. Worst they can say is no. Maybe I should email too, but I don't really want all that stuff you got, I just don't want to pay.

I am new to RC - just booked my first cruise yesterday.

Is there a service charge for room service?

Yes, except for continental breakfast for a few hours in the morning, all other orders cost $7.95 per order.