Your Favorite 2-3 Week Itinerary?

MWillow

My husband and I are recently retired and new to cruising. We started last year with back to back transatlantics on the Queen Mary 2 which we enjoyed very much. On our return, we asked friends who are travel writers which line they like the best and their response was Seabourn. After some research, we cancelled our 2015 Cunard cruise and booked Seabourn in the Med (Monte Carlo to Athens) this October.

We're looking at adding a Seabourn cruise in 2016/2017 and are very open to destinations because we've not been big travelers (outside of work) up to now. Which brings me to my question... what has been your favorite 2-3 week cruise? Have you ever taken one that you wouldn't recommend to friends? We've been looking at itineraries and they pretty much all look good! We might as well see the world with a glass of champagne in hand. :)

My husband and I are recently retired and new to cruising. We started last year with back to back transatlantics on the Queen Mary 2 which we enjoyed very much. On our return, we asked friends who are travel writers which line they like the best and their response was Seabourn. After some research, we cancelled our 2015 Cunard cruise and booked Seabourn in the Med (Monte Carlo to Athens) this October.

We're looking at adding a Seabourn cruise in 2016/2017 and are very open to destinations because we've not been big travelers (outside of work) up to now. Which brings me to my question... what has been your favorite 2-3 week cruise? Have you ever taken one that you wouldn't recommend to friends? We've been looking at itineraries and they pretty much all look good! We might as well see the world with a glass of champagne in hand. :)

Oh gosh ..... where to start.

Probably my favourite 2-3 week was Antarctica.

A bit longer than that was Sydney to Los Angeles which was also excellent. The Auckland to Sydney cruise was very good but, next time, I would do a driving tour of NZ rather than a cruise.

I would have to say the Eastern Med and the Adriatic. Yes Norway was amazing, SE Asia fascinating, Panama Canal itself interesting (rest of the ports on that trip not so much), and Atlantic Coast Harbors (London to Lisbon) great food and wine (especially San Sebastián, overnight in Bordeaux, up the river to Sevilla) and the once (and last) in a lifetime opportunity to sail under the Tower Bridge. But with many many Seabourn trips throughout the Med in our wake, I have to say the Eastern Med continues to draw us back again and again. The reasons: port intensive (we are not big fans of cruises with a lot of sea days), many ports are dock versus tender so less hassle getting on shore, more time to wander around and pop back on the ship in the middle of the day, great food and wonderful hiking/walking opportunities amidst interesting landscape both towns and adjacent hills.

If I had to choose two favorites, they would be Baltic, with three days in St. Petersburg, and/or Coastal Norway.

Each is spectacular in its on way: Baltic for Russian history, museums and palaces; the Baltic countries and Scandinavian ones offer very individual cities along the way.

Norway's scenery is breathtaking, green mountains and icy fjords and Scandinavian culture is refreshingly welcome.

I have done both itineraries at least three times and never tire of them. Aren't choices fun?

Thanks so much everyone for your responses. Norway, Antarctica and the Eastern Med all interest us. I agree that the Panama Canal cruise ports don't look that interesting, Chairsin. How awesome to have cruised under the Tower Bridge! Is it forbidden now completely or is it just Seabourn who no longer includes that as a stop? My folks just did NZ on a cruise ship and mentioned the same thing, Roxburgh. I'll have to explore Mumbai as a destination, patnlcc.

I wouldn't recommend any cruise on Oceania or Regent;)

Favorite cruise? TA's are nice and relaxing but you don't see anything new. I greatly enjoyed my Baltics cruise - due to the current political climate I'd recommend seeing it sooner rather than later. Pretty much anything in the Med is great. Starting in Greece and sailing West out of the med up Spain/Portugal/France up to England is fun. Ask me again in February after I get back from my NZ/Aus cruise:D

Norway was fabulous!

I also vote for places that you wouldn't easily visit on a land trip. Look at the Seabourn Quest itineraries: Antarctica, the Norwegian fjords, the Voyage of the Vikings crossing via Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland, etc. Also, Seabourn Sojourn is headed to Alaska the summer of 2017, although those itineraries haven't been released yet.

I was just looking at that northern crossing this morning. We have friends who are dying to do an Alaska cruise with us but we're not really interested in any of the current options. I bet those Seabourn Alaska cruises will fill fast once they are announced!

I was just looking at that northern crossing this morning. We have friends who are dying to do an Alaska cruise with us but we're not really interested in any of the current options. I bet those Seabourn Alaska cruises will fill fast once they are announced!

Agreed. I was told onboard Quest this week that there will be 8 14-day Alaska cruises. As most Alaska cruises on other lines are 7 days, that's very special! Ports will include the "can't skip them" towns of Ketchikan and Juneau, but apparently also a series of much smaller, unique ports that other lines don't call at - allowing for lots of Ventures zodiac and kayak tours.

My all time favorite; 24 day on Quest in the Antartica - magical! Words cannot describe, next favorite - Israel with Masada, Red Sea, excursion overnight, and of course the Dalmation coast. Loved the Phillipines last year. Northern crossing memorable too.

I have never been on a 'least favorite'.

We loved a Seabourn 14-day Istanbul to Venice, which we had visited many times, but we still enjoyed a few extra days there at the finish, staying in a small palazzo/hotel on the Grand Canal. There is nothing on the planet like it. Ephesus is great, Dubrovnik was definitely worth seeing, and while my husband went to the Ferrari museum from Ravenna's port, I spent I day viewing the Byzantine mosaics. Something for everyone on that trip. We spent 4 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise and there we hired a private guide who we asked to show us the "real" Istanbul ….avoiding rugs, bazaars, etc. We walked and took ferries everywhere. Fantastic. The sail-away from Istanbul alone is worth the price.

But our absolute favorite trip so far is New Zealand, which we did not do by ship. I recommend a land trip there because so much that is wonderful is inland. it's a very beautify countryl. If you are walkers/hikers, there are some great companies that do walking trips of the South Island. The accommodations we had were very luxurious and the food, wine and people just wonderful. You have some great choices ahead of you.

There are so many wonderful places to go. By the way, you should sail the Panama Canal. You learn so much from each place you visit.

Places that we truly have enjoyed include:

Australia

New Zealand (now one of my favorite places)

Africa

Mediterranean (could take lots of cruises there and continue to see more and more places and return to others to see more)

Israel

Argentina/Chile/Brazil/Antarctica

Asia including China/Vietnam/Japan

We get excited each and overtime we travel.

Keith

MWillow - the only cruise I would not recommend to friends is on some other lines! My favourites are Norway and the Med., East or West or a combination. But for something completely different, if you do not mind long flights (and if you are in the US, Norway and the Med. are long flights!) and are fit enough, the Antarctic cruise is very special and different. I can' say 'favourite' but something I am so glad we did. We are lucky to live near to some lovely cruising areas. We had done a few Caribbean, which of course are long distance for us, and after a couple did not find them interesting - just great if you want to swim and sunbathe in our winter.

We have cruised some Australia and Far East, but did not enjoy these so much with humid weather and IMO mostly ports which we did not find particularly interesting. Though Sydney is fab., and also New Zealand, though I agree that that is a country better visited on a land trip.

To combine Norway with the Baltic - S. Petersburg etc. - is a very good 3 week cruise.

I have to say on cruises we have been on we have found that Italy and Greek destinations have been the most interesting because oh the historic sights to visit.

We really enjoy the Seabourn experience , so if you are not interested in the ports in really dose not matter as long as you are on the correct ship/line:D

Many years sailing Seabourn my very favorite: board in London (Tower Bridge) then the Transatlantic crossing to Newfoundland and on down to Ft Lauderdale ~ Another favorite, Panama Canal sailing.

I have always loved the lazy, hazy, daisy TA sea days ~both the spring and fall crossings~~ experiencing being with wonderful Seabourn friends and the fabulous officers and Crew!

Martita B.

We loved a Seabourn 14-day Istanbul to Venice, which we had visited many times, but we still enjoyed a few extra days there at the finish, staying in a small palazzo/hotel on the Grand Canal. There is nothing on the planet like it. Ephesus is great, Dubrovnik was definitely worth seeing, and while my husband went to the Ferrari museum from Ravenna's port, I spent I day viewing the Byzantine mosaics. Something for everyone on that trip. We spent 4 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise and there we hired a private guide who we asked to show us the "real" Istanbul ….avoiding rugs, bazaars, etc. We walked and took ferries everywhere. Fantastic. The sail-away from Istanbul alone is worth the price.

+1 to everything you said. Our first cruise and a perfect way to start. (next, Montreal-Boston Sept)

But our absolute favorite trip so far is New Zealand, which we did not do by ship. I recommend a land trip there because so much that is wonderful is inland. it's a very beautify countryl. If you are walkers/hikers, there are some great companies that do walking trips of the South Island. The accommodations we had were very luxurious and the food, wine and people just wonderful. You have some great choices ahead of you.

+1 this one also. Queenstown, NZ and surrounding region is one of my favorites.

It also helps it's only a 3 hr flight and not 20+ to see the rest of the world.

I think most places in the world offer something.

We've ticked a lot of the boxes, Panama Canal where I agree the transit is great, some of the ports of call not so but there were a few notable exceptions. The Caribbean is a well trodden path, South Africa last Christmas was very different and added an extra dimension with the scenery & wildlife.

I think we are in for a treat in October, some great ports of call, many of which are off the beaten track in terms of the mainstream cruise lines. An overnight stay, Ephesus. Should be great.

We are also doing our first Far Eastern cruise over Christmas which I'm looking forward to. So far we have travelled the far east on land. There is some spectacular scenery to be seen by boat so that should be another one on your list. I'll tell you when we come back in January !

Henry :)

We've ticked a lot of the boxes, Panama Canal where I agree the transit is great, some of the ports of call not so but there were a few notable exceptions.

The old Legend itinerary was pretty good. San Juan del Sur -- interesting to go to Nicaragua. Belize private beach day/caviar in the surf was amazing, as they all are. But the highlight for us was beating feet quickly to the downtown Belize City a/p, Cessna Caravan out to Caulker Caye for some of the best snorkeling this side of French Polynesia, conch fritters on the beach, and back that afternoon. And, as you said, the transit is a bucket list item.

Really sorry to see that itinerary go away with the sale of the triplets.

I think most places in the world offer something.

We've ticked a lot of the boxes, Panama Canal where I agree the transit is great, some of the ports of call not so but there were a few notable exceptions. The Caribbean is a well trodden path, South Africa last Christmas was very different and added an extra dimension with the scenery & wildlife.

I think we are in for a treat in October, some great ports of call, many of which are off the beaten track in terms of the mainstream cruise lines. An overnight stay, Ephesus. Should be great.

We are also doing our first Far Eastern cruise over Christmas which I'm looking forward to. So far we have travelled the far east on land. There is some spectacular scenery to be seen by boat so that should be another one on your list. I'll tell you when we come back in January !

Henry :)

We cruised Singapore to Hong Kong in February. Loved Singapore, not so much Thailand (Bangkok) or Cambodia (Sihanoukville). Was bowled over by Vietnam (Saigon, Da Nang and Halong Bay) and would like to go back there for a land based vacation/holiday. Hong Kong was okay but the grey weather spoiled it a bit. It was a very good cruise but not the best we have done on Seabourn.