Perry Golf cruises?

hiccups

My husband and I sailed on the Open Golf cruise last year through Ireland and the U.K. While I do golf, I did not join in the golf package, but my husband loved it. He still raves about what a fantastic job Perry Golf does in coordinating the arrangements and logistics, and we wouldn't hesitate to do another one. The only downside, which is obvious, is that he didn't see the ports during the golf days (7 on that particular cruise), but he still talks about the amazing courses he played and the great people he played with.

Cheryl

My husband and I sailed on the Open Golf cruise last year through Ireland and the U.K. While I do golf, I did not join in the golf package, but my husband loved it. He still raves about what a fantastic job Perry Golf does in coordinating the arrangements and logistics, and we wouldn't hesitate to do another one. The only downside, which is obvious, is that he didn't see the ports during the golf days (7 on that particular cruise), but he still talks about the amazing courses he played and the great people he played with.

Great, thank you! We are thinking about the 2017 Open cruise, but the price makes us a bit hesitant. Like you, I wouldn't be playing golf, so that makes it a bit more tolerable. That cruise has six rounds of golf, so there's still some opportunity to see the ports. And spend more money on excursions :)

Hi, we did the Open cruise with Perry Golf this summer. First time with both Azamara and Perry. Liked it so much we have booked the Baltic Golf cruise for next August. Yes, it's pricey but it's worth it to have everything handled for you and to see The Open. Husband golfed, I didn't, but joined in the FOUR cocktail parties so met lots of great people. A few things to be aware of regarding the Open Cruise, as I see a lot of the ports are the same: the golf days were long, as many of the courses were quite a distance from the port (some as much as 90 minutes each way). Sometimes he was gone from 7 a.m. until 5 or later. A complaint he had was the play was very slow due to all the golfers of differing abilities (he's pretty good). They mix up the foursomes for each day, so he met lots of people but it might be better if they matched handicaps better and put those groups first so they can get finished more quickly and return to the ship (they run several shuttles back and forth). Happy to answer your questions. We'd never been to that part of the world and loved it, especially the weather and the green scenery which was a nice break from Texas heat and the brown, flat landscape!

Perry Golf is a first class operation. We did the British Open Cruise when the Open was at Muirfield. My husband played golf and I did other things but attended the Open with him. We loved the experience. The saying you get what you pay for, applies here! Very expensive but worth the price!

This cruise will sell out early if 2016 is any indication. If there's the current double upgrade deal being offered on this cruise that may be the best deal on this one due to demand. We booked 16 months out and were able to rebook during double upgrade and it was the best price I saw for months and then the veranda category and above were all sold out months in advance. So I wouldn't delay if you want a certain category.

This cruise will sell out early if 2016 is any indication. If there's the current double upgrade deal being offered on this cruise that may be the best deal on this one due to demand. We booked 16 months out and were able to rebook during double upgrade and it was the best price I saw for months and then the veranda category and above were all sold out months in advance. So I wouldn't delay if you want a certain category.

We booked the other day. No double upgrades on this one, unfortunately! I'll keep an eye out in case any deals apply in the future. We did get a rebate and some OBC, at least.

• 1 month later...

Just a question on the other side of the coin about the golf cruises.

Would you avoid them if you're not interested in golf? Would being on these cruises be like having a large affinity group aboard (something I avoid like the plague?)

Just interested because I see two Sydney-Auckland cruises in February 2018, one's a golf cruise, one's not, with slightly different itineraries.

Just a question on the other side of the coin about the golf cruises.

Would you avoid them if you're not interested in golf? Would being on these cruises be like having a large affinity group aboard (something I avoid like the plague?)

Just interested because I see two Sydney-Auckland cruises in February 2018, one's a golf cruise, one's not, with slightly different itineraries.

Wendy, I'm sure I answered this question in an earlier posting, but I can't find it and I'm tired to looking for it. So I'll just repeat.

Sharon and I had not been to Great Britain, so we took the British Open cruise simply as a British Isles trip. The cruise departed in June of 2013, so it's been a while. We were impacted only twice by the golf group. First, at the Azamazing Evening, they were given preferential seating as a block. To be succinct, the evening's entertainment was a disaster except for that group, which was in a balcony. This was in the early days of Azamazing Evenings, and I think Azamara learned from the experience. Secondly, we always go to a piano bar for a cocktail and to hear music before dinner. On the Sunday of the golf tournament final, the golf group took over "our" piano bar and turned on the TVs to the golf coverage. So we went to another bar that night. No big deal. If you like the golf itinerary better, you should do it.

Wendy, I'm sure I answered this question in an earlier posting, but I can't find it and I'm tired to looking for it. So I'll just repeat.

Sharon and I had not been to Great Britain, so we took the British Open cruise simply as a British Isles trip. The cruise departed in June of 2013, so it's been a while. We were impacted only twice by the golf group. First, at the Azamazing Evening, they were given preferential seating as a block. To be succinct, the evening's entertainment was a disaster except for that group, which was in a balcony. This was in the early days of Azamazing Evenings, and I think Azamara learned from the experience. Secondly, we always go to a piano bar for a cocktail and to hear music before dinner. On the Sunday of the golf tournament final, the golf group took over "our" piano bar and turned on the TVs to the golf coverage. So we went to another bar that night. No big deal. If you like the golf itinerary better, you should do it.

Thanks for answering. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal, although your examples are the kind of thing that turned me off affinity groups in the past (happened on the Paul Gauguin once.) But you're right--itinerary should win. Not sure which is better really, but I'm studying it. The golf one has an overnight in Sydney, which may be why the price is higher for a shorter cruise. Then again, it doesn't stop in Tasmania. Golf itin does Milford Sound in the evening, so we'd see the sunset I guess, other does it first thing in the morning. Having not done Milford Sound, I can't evaluate that difference.

For non golfers - we did Lisbon to Barcelona in 2014.. Only times we noticed the golfers was on the occasions the old Looking Glass was closed to non golf cruisers, at pre dinner drinks time. As this area has been substantially upgraded since the refit and has become so much more popular, this is more likely to be an issue in future, as I don't know where else the golfers might hold their functions. It also appears that these cruises are at a bit of a premium for non-golfers too.

Back in December of 2014, we booked the February 19, 2017 (just 4 months to go) Australia & New Zealand cruise. This was long before the Perry Golf option (in my opinion, very expensive) was added. Our booking was at a significantly lower price than the cruise is today. I could be wrong, but I don't think the number of golfers will interfere with our enjoyment of the cruise. There are many areas to go to if one area is closed for a special golfer's event.

Back in December of 2014, we booked the February 19, 2017 (just 4 months to go) Australia & New Zealand cruise. This was long before the Perry Golf option (in my opinion, very expensive) was added. Our booking was at a significantly lower price than the cruise is today. I could be wrong, but I don't think the number of golfers will interfere with our enjoyment of the cruise. There are many areas to go to if one area is closed for a special golfer's event.

Thanks for your opinion, and hope your cruise is great, and I would love to hear about afterwards.

Speaking as a non-golfer, the packages do seem expensive, but if they're well-organized, perhaps they would be worth it.

Wendy, I understand your concern -- I have been a guest at resorts when large parts of it were unavailable due to a wedding or special event, so annoying. As the non-golfing spouse on the British Open cruise, I can honestly say I don't think we interfered at all, even though we were a fairly large group (maybe 20 -25% of the total guests, I would guess that the British Open cruise has the highest total of golfers of all the Perry Golf cruises). All our cocktail parties were held in the Cabaret Lounge which was not being used by anyone else at the time (as opposed to say the Living Room which I think would annoy other guests). In addition, I can think of a couple of things that might be considered an advantage -- on several days they actually opened the Windows buffet earlier than usual to accommodate a very early departure by the golfers, (nice for other early risers) and, because they were gone for so much of the day, the ship may have been quieter than usual, which was nice and relaxing. And when golfers are playing really great courses -- they are very pleasant and happy people :)