7 days is just not enough

Spursgirl

Am wondering if fellow Cruise Critic posters share my view.

We have just returned from the most wonderful cruise on Journey. The only thing wrong with it is that it lasted just 7 days and we were left wanting more.

With work commitments it is sometimes difficult to be away for 14 days so a back to back doesn't really solve the problem.

Do others agree that 9/10/11 night cruises on Quest or Journey would be just perfect?

As we are all suffering withdrawal symptoms we are trying to select our next cruise but sadly 7 nighters still predominate. Even Captain Johannes and Heike agreed that a week is too short to cram everything in.

Interested in the thoughts of others.

Although a short cruise recently worked to our advantage, I agree that 7 day cruises, in our view, are not optimal.

In our case, unless we spend what seems an exorbitant amount, the flight experience from Canada is becoming less and less enjoyable and thus we look for an experience longer than a week at our cruise destination. We realize that pre and post cruise extensions help to solve that particular problem but, for some idiosyncratic reasons, we much prefer the on board experience.

I also understand that 7 day cruises may, in some cases, be attractive to those with limited time to vacation.

My initial reaction is that sometimes they schedule 7 day cruises B2B. Perhaps that should be avoided to allow more flexibility.

It is also an initial reaction that this issue is primarily in the Med. Perhaps there is a very good reason for that.

However, it is in some ways wonderful that, despite this frustration, the Azamara experience keeps us wanting more.

Thanks for raising an issue that has been interesting us.

The problem is most of the time the Azamara 7 day cruises leave on weekday and you have to use more vacation days. Also I rather spend a few extra days in Athens or Rome therefore it become 9 days. I could do a 9 day but the port departure would have to be a Friday.

We are booked next June for a 7 Greek cruise, and the ship leaves Wednesday you spend Monday or Tuesday traveling. And than the next week all day Wednesday traveling getting home on the following wed or Thursday. That's a lot of time for a 48 / 52 age couple to take off with two careers.

Also what if we get on the ship and do not like it? Never been on Azamara so if we hate it I rather it be a week instead of 9+ days. But I do like the concept of Azamara of long days in ports, since others line spend so little time just wanting to get you back on the ship to spend more money.

I guess its what your use to and I have so much experience planning my own travel using sites such as TA. We do travel on a budget so more days mean more expense. If you are able to spend more than 8 days on a ship I envy you that you are able to do this.

I am already looking at maybe doing a March 17, 2018 cruise out of San Juan, PR since that would be right on my 50th b-day! I am hoping next year on the Quest that some sort of real good deal can be found

Hazel- I understand Lottie and you still work .so how can 9 or 10 days be ok vs 14 days. is this because it a weekend involved. .I rarely do 7 day cruises and link them like in June .the problem this past June to many repeat ports. the ones i like to see again were not repeats. I see this more in the med which get working guests or in the carribbean. .this Dec i am on Quest and i again repeat ports- if RT i would of had a nice 14 day RT and be happier with more ports.

flying from the states i do want to be in Europe or Asia a month with flying and hotel. anything shorter not worth it me anymore.. if i lived in the UK i would enjoy all the short cruises you take.. not sure if any cruise line can help you .those 7 day cruises were made for people who still work.

Hazel- I understand Lottie and you still work .so how can 9 or 10 days be ok vs 14 days. is this because it a weekend involved. .I rarely do 7 day cruises and link them like in June .the problem this past June to many repeat ports. the ones i like to see again were not repeats. I see this more in the med which get working guests or in the carribbean. .this Dec i am on Quest and i again repeat ports- if RT i would of had a nice 14 day RT and be happier with more ports.

flying from the states i do want to be in Europe or Asia a month with flying and hotel. anything shorter not worth it me anymore.. if i lived in the UK i would enjoy all the short cruises you take.. not sure if any cruise line can help you .those 7 day cruises were made for people who still work.

Hello Robin, How are you?

A 14 night cruise becomes a 15 or 16 night break when you factor in a pre cruise night at the embarkation port and for Lottie an additional night in London so she can fly direct to the Med. It is very difficult to have these extra vacation days when we both have demanding jobs.

A 7 night Azamara cruise is lovely but an extra two or three days would be fantastic

We did one 7 day Azamara cruise and said " never again".

But then another came up so "never again" became " never again until the next time!"

When we first started cruising with Azamara they had longer cruises - in fact our second was a 24 day Singapore to Athens in 2009.

I believe the change happened when they re-branded as Azamara Club Cruises

( though I may be wrong - as I am very occasionally!!)

They decided to target a different demographic of younger people with high disposable income who were still working and could only spare seven days for their holiday.

The response to those who would prefer (even slightly) longer cruises was that you could always do a B2B.

In Europe a seven day cruise isn't too bad but I always think that by the time you have settled in, got comfortable, met new ( and not so new!) friends the cruise is almost over....

Edited by workingtocruise-59

Well Haze, you know my feelings on the 7 day cruises....they are just not long enough and as you said, for me a B2B involves taking 16 days away from work. I am sure I am not alone in that.

Personally, and from talking to the crew and other Azamara cruisers, more 10/11 day options in Europe would be much appreciated.

Well Haze, you know my feelings on the 7 day cruises....they are just not long enough and as you said, for me a B2B involves taking 16 days away from work. I am sure I am not alone in that.

Personally, and from talking to the crew and other Azamara cruisers, more 10/11 day options in Europe would be much appreciated.

I'll share this thread with our Itinerary Department.

P.s. LottieA, did you notice that you're now quoted on our webpage "Guest Testimonials"?!

We can only cruise once a year and I also would love to see more 10 day cruises, which with a night our two pre and post cruise would suit us perfectly. 7 days on board is just not enough! We are very much looking forward to a cruise on Journey in June after defecting to Oceania for a couple of 10 day cruises.

Whilst there was absolutely nothing wrong with Oceania it just 'wasn't Azamara'. In fact we were berthed beside Quest

last year in Livorno and as we watched Azamara guests being welcomed back on board by Tony with music, drinks etc we felt like jumping ship!! We decided there and then that we were never going to be tempted away from Azamara again.

Hello Robin, How are you?

[color="Red" Hazel

i am great. nice summer. a little too much of the dermo dr from skin damage as a child. been doing the theatre and films when i find something. been keeping up with facebook and CC knowing you were cruising. [/color]

A 14 night cruise becomes a 15 or 16 night break when you factor in a pre cruise night at the embarkation port and for Lottie an additional night in London so she can fly direct to the Med. It is very difficult to have these extra vacation days when we both have demanding jobs.

A 7 night Azamara cruise is lovely but an extra two or three days would be fantastic

I totally understand about Lottie's and your careers. I for one hate 7 day cruises. In college that was fine. This June i had i think one 7 day and 2 10 or 11.. I agree with Lottie about turn around day for crew. i always keep my sign on door so they can not come in that day. as long as i have towels i am happy.

I got 3 B2B in Dec. .one long cruise from Mia but two we might get to new cruise ports. Azamara does not go to Tortola and others i could do in 2 weeks.

years ago when i did 7 i then looked for 10-then 14.. i found 10 days not enough but 14 was great. .for you i understand.

I wish they only did longer cruises in the med or carribbean .but Asia one needs longer. .to far to fly-15 hours and then change planes.

on another note I just learned today about Park West. surprised Lottie and you did not pos about it.

Yes, I agree 10/11 days would be perfect for the passengers but also, significantly, for the officers and crew. The turnaround days must be such hard work for them.

I'll share this thread with our Itinerary Department.

P.s. LottieA, did you notice that you're now quoted on our webpage "Guest Testimonials"?!

Thanks for letting me know Bonnie. I'm very proud to be on the Azamara website! :)

Robin, I'm afraid I don't know anything about Park West news? It isn't something onboard that I ever consider.

We can only cruise once a year and I also would love to see more 10 day cruises, which with a night our two pre and post cruise would suit us perfectly. 7 days on board is just not enough! We are very much looking forward to a cruise on Journey in June after defecting to Oceania for a couple of 10 day cruises.

Whilst there was absolutely nothing wrong with Oceania it just 'wasn't Azamara'. In fact we were berthed beside Quest

last year in Livorno and as we watched Azamara guests being welcomed back on board by Tony with music, drinks etc we felt like jumping ship!! We decided there and then that we were never going to be tempted away from Azamara again.

A quick look through our 2018 Med cruises shows quite a few 8, 9, and 10 day cruises, as well as many 7's that can be combined into a 14-day B2B: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/find-a-voyage/2018-voyages?_ga=1.201104429.2096883773.1387517836

As an aside, vival, I love your last paragraph! I'm glad you're with us to stay!

Thanks for letting me know Bonnie. I'm very proud to be on the Azamara website! :)

Robin, I'm afraid I don't know anything about Park West news? It isn't something onboard that I ever consider.

Lottie, Ann posted today that Park West is leaving for good! Yes! Was on another thread today.. many CC guests are pleased. So I am guessing people knew last cruise or maybe they left with you.

I am glad as it is wasted space on two decks.

Lottie, Ann posted today that Park West is leaving for good! Yes! Was on another thread today.. many CC guests are pleased. So I am guessing people knew last cruise or maybe they left with you.

I am glad as it is wasted space on two decks.

This wasn't mentioned on the Sept 23rd cruise Robin ....but I'm very glad to see them go. The "art" was truly awful and I have never thought that the ethos of Azamara matched with that of Park West.

This wasn't mentioned on the Sept 23rd cruise Robin ....but I'm very glad to see them go. The "art" was truly awful and I have never thought that the ethos of Azamara matched with that of Park West.

You must be regretting not buying the 'gorgeous' painting of the multi coloured cow we both liked so much!!!! LOL:D

My guess as Ann posted this yesterday it was mention at the Captain party or a future cruise talk. This is me guessing here. Phil has not comment on it at all. several CC people have said they will miss them as much as Hazel and you. When I first started with AZ they were not there. then they were. One CC person said they been and gone before. Bonnie confirm they are gone for good but other new/exciting programs.. NO! no programs just bring in more tables and chairs as at times we need that space.

I have not seen the space but in pictures- Oceania made that whole area just for sitting. works for me.

7 days is definitely not enough. I really prefer 14 or more but travel time and certain departure dates can really suck up vacation days unnecessarily. We live in the U.S. so a Monday departure seems to work well for an overseas cruise for us but if it's 14 days you still have to take an a few extra days beyond 2 weeks for travel time. I prefer to take those necessary additional days at the beginning of the work week at the end of a cruise (take Monday and Tuesday off, return Wednesday). One positive note about certain departure dates that aren't the norm is that I've noticed all of the ports seem to be less busy and have fewer ships because the schedule is staggered differently than all the other lines.

But I'm certainly apprehensive about my 10 day cruise coming up. I think it will not be long enough. We will be gone 15 days in total with an overnight before and after the cruise and 2 days travel time but it's just not the same. While it fits perfectly into a 2 week vacation time frame (10 working days) I would prefer FOUR more days on the ship!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Forums mobile app

Edited by elusive_23

Park West were not in evidence when we boarded on 30th September so that must have been the change day. Initially I thought it was just they were changing their Art then I saw that Jojo the IT assistant had moved up to that desk. There was no official announcement they had gone, I confirmed their demise with Heike at a later point.

I totally agree about the seven night trips. There is also how shall I put it an ambience issue. Firstly so much has to be crammed in, white nights, amazing evening, lcv events etc etc it is so hard on the crew and can be tiring for the guests. Having just witnessed a change over it seems we have a much more positive group now with us this cruise. The problem last week is that some European guests were test driving azamara and whilst that is great for the brand sometimes it has a negative effect on the experience when they test drive it to the limit. I think some UK agents could help by not leading customers to believe Azamara is what it is not, it was not the six star expectations that seemed to be the issue it was how shall I put it, several guests were looking for a carnival experience but with free drink. The last few days were not helped by the fact their agents had packaged up with lousy flights and the reality of that was creeping in.

Thank you on the update on Park West. Wondered I'd guests asked. I would notice and ask . I wonder if JoJo staying there, it was a little crowded at front desk A few times I could not hear him this summer over guests.

Ihad hoped the area would have tables for guests all day. Bonnie wrote something about new programs out there.. To be worked on .. Never thought the art was a program .

Lots of people test drive with a shorter cruise.i test drove several lines before and know what I like about them or not.

Thanks again for updates.

Park West were not in evidence when we boarded on 30th September so that must have been the change day. Initially I thought it was just they were changing their Art then I saw that Jojo the IT assistant had moved up to that desk. There was no official announcement they had gone, I confirmed their demise with Heike at a later point.

I totally agree about the seven night trips. There is also how shall I put it an ambience issue. Firstly so much has to be crammed in, white nights, amazing evening, lcv events etc etc it is so hard on the crew and can be tiring for the guests. Having just witnessed a change over it seems we have a much more positive group now with us this cruise. The problem last week is that some European guests were test driving azamara and whilst that is great for the brand sometimes it has a negative effect on the experience when they test drive it to the limit. I think some UK agents could help by not leading customers to believe Azamara is what it is not, it was not the six star expectations that seemed to be the issue it was how shall I put it, several guests were looking for a carnival experience but with free drink. The last few days were not helped by the fact their agents had packaged up with lousy flights and the reality of that was creeping in.

Our recent 7 night cruise was simply wonderful but I totally agree that there are many things that need to be incorporated into a short time frame.

It wasn't ideal that our LCV cocktail party was held on the last evening and had the top cruiser not been a friend I probably wouldn't have attended. I guess though with other events there was no other time to hold it.

Glad you are enjoying the ambience of your second cruise.

Another vote in favour of longer cruises.

We won't consider a 7 day... it's just too rushed and not enough value from the airfare. Plus there is a long tradition in Britain for taking two week holidays, it's just what most of us are used to.

We loved our Journey cruise in August but have had to go back to Celebrity for our med cruise next year as there simply wasn't enough choice after excluding all the 7 dayers.

Our recent 7 night cruise was simply wonderful but I totally agree that there are many things that need to be incorporated into a short time frame.

It wasn't ideal that our LCV cocktail party was held on the last evening and had the top cruiser not been a friend I probably wouldn't have attended. I guess though with other events there was no other time to hold it.

Glad you are enjoying the ambience of your second cruise.

Hazel- this past winter in AU they held the LCV party later in the cruise. i was surprised as most cruises had 3 or 4 sea days. Also twice they did it in the middle of the Tazman Sea. i skipped one and the other I won. i was in cabin most of one day and rested the second day. it calmed down some but not my idea to even go. it had been moved to that from a calmer day. I did tell the HD a head of time that i would try to make it. i missed one party I won due to motion. Very hard to add things in but the last night. did they do the Best of best dinner then too?