Celebrity requires hospital statement for health fitness for seniors 70+

scandun

Now I have not been on that many cruise lines, but a few. Never ever have I heard from any of them that seniors 70+ needs to show a hospital statement for health fitness before boarding. Yet this is true with Celebrity in China. I could not believe it so I called Celebrity office in Shanghai to verify it and they said yes, for bookings through China office. I wonder if bookings from the rest of the world also fall under this policy ? Tell me that Celebrity is not playing racial discrimination !

Now I have not been on that many cruise lines, but a few. Never ever have I heard from any of them that seniors 70+ needs to show a hospital statement for health fitness before boarding. Yet this is true with Celebrity in China. I could not believe it so I called Celebrity office in Shanghai to verify it and they said yes, for bookings through China office. I wonder if bookings from the rest of the world also fall under this policy ? Tell me that Celebrity is not playing racial discrimination !

I have not heard of this either, yet are you sure it is not a Chinese state policy, including other note worthy items for their citizens traveling abroad?

Has it been verified that other cruise lines do not have similar requirements on bookings through their China sales offices?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Since there is no mention of the race of the passenger, only that they are booked through a particular country's booking offices, I would say that there is no racial discrimination. There are often specific requirements about bookings in one country or another. Could this be a Chinese government regulation? Is it in force for all bookings on all cruises or only certain cruises? We really need more information.

I'm over 70. I have been on more than a few Celebrity cruises since I turned 70 several years ago. I've never been asked about my health. This is most certainly a policy of the Chinese Government or travel industry. Celebrity does not discriminate. They are willing to take money without regard to race, ethnicity, religion or sexual preference.

There is no such Chinese government policy. It has nothing to do with the health form to sign before boarding by some cruislines. It is a hospital/doctor's statement that Celebrity asks for. When I asked what if a foreigner books through china office, they were reluctant to reply.

There is no such Chinese government policy. It has nothing to do with the health form to sign before boarding by some cruislines. It is a hospital/doctor's statement that Celebrity asks for. When I asked what if a foreigner books through china office, they were reluctant to reply.

Personally, I would be surprized if this was a X policy, the only way to get around this is to book outside The People's Republic of China to avoid this troubling request, if one can.

bon voyage

Personally, I would be surprized if this was a X policy, the only way to get around this is to book outside The People's Republic of China to avoid this troubling request, if one can.

bon voyage

That was what I did, and the X Contract clearly has no requirement for such a document. But I feel disgusting about X for they do in China.

Could this to be to do with holiday medical insurance rather than the cruise itself?

When taking out holiday insurance you will be asked about medical conditions and in some cases insurance companies may want further information before agreeing to insure you.

Could this to be to do with holiday medical insurance rather than the cruise itself?

When taking out holiday insurance you will be asked about medical conditions and in some cases insurance companies may want further information before agreeing to insure you.

I think you are on the right track. Here is a blog that mentions that China's insurance (it is talking about the Yangtze River cruise that sank):

"The Yangtze ship tragedy revealed a problem that is common in China’s insurance industry: most insurance companies refuse to accept the insurance policy of senior tourists over 70 years old."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiP0rvUwa3PAhVJeD4KHZ7GDREQFghXMAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whatsonweibo.com%2Fchinas-cruise-ship-generation%2F&usg=AFQjCNFdGrMG8el-EYbVetctSnf74beKjA

I would agree. I do not believe this is a Celebrity issue at all. Further, Celebrity is not an insurance carrier, even if you purchase trip insurance from Celebrity at time of booking...it is merely a convenience offer. You can purchase trip insurance independently through other carriers.

We have always purchased independent insurance policy for years, from different insurance companies in China, and nobody has refused to accept customers 70+

Our friends have been on other cruise lines booked in China with departure in China port and there is no such requirement for a hospital statement.

Now is this for someone from China going on any Celebrity cruise anywhere in the world, or is this for cruises that are home ported out of China? Do you have any information about the booking contract?

China does have a lot of restrictions on Cruise ships that are home ported in China. For example the Princess ships that are home ported there are technically chartered to a Chinese company. The cruises are sold through the Chinese company., even though they are Princess ships, with Princess crew. My understanding is that they were required to set up that way in order to operate in China.

When a cruise line has an office in a country, they must play by that countries rules, whatever they might be. For example cruises sold in the UK are subject to the Package Travel Regulations and the consumer protections offered, whereas those that are purchased in the US are not.

As far as insurance is concerned 70 is quite often a cutoff date for the sale of insurance without a medical exam outside of the US. Even in the US there are often restrictions placed on such insurance when you are over 70. Is insurance required or included as part of their booking conditions in cruises sold through that office?

The following is part of an article from

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/travel-insurance/insurance-for-senior-travelers/

The question that naturally follows is - What is the best visitor insurance for elderly parents or seniors over 70 years of age? Unfortunately, there aren't many choices for Travel insurance for elderly belonging to this age group.

Age is one of the most important factors when considering a travel health insurance purchase. There is a misconception that younger people are healthier than the elderly. Hence most insurance companies are reluctant to give higher policy maximum or flexible benefits for people above 70 years of age.

Most non-US travel insurance companies may even decline issuing a policy for people over 70 years old, without a pre-medical exam. Even US-based travel medical insurance companies, offering insurance coverage, impose a lot of restrictions. For people in their 70s, the policy maximum amount is restricted to $50,000 for comprehensive plans, while limited coverage plans only cover up to $75,000. For people above 80, the policy maximum is even lesser. For comprehensive coverage plans, the maximum policy amount is just $15,000, and for limited coverage plans, it is $70,000. The premium for purchasing insurance is always higher for older people.

Edited by RDC1

I'm not doubting what you are saying. I'd like to hear from some 70+ people who have travelled (not to China, been there already twice) and purchased travel insurance. Did you have any trouble? Did one company deny selling you a policy and you had to choose another insurer? I've seen plenty of 70+ people on cruises and I certainly had no idea it was hard to get travel insurance at that age....and my husband is 69 so I'm interested!

I'm over 70. I have been on more than a few Celebrity cruises since I turned 70 several years ago. I've never been asked about my health. This is most certainly a policy of the Chinese Government or travel industry. Celebrity does not discriminate. They are willing to take money without regard to race, ethnicity, religion or sexual preference.

So funny and so true

It isn't race related. It would fall under age discrimination.