Fort Lauderdale - Car Hire companies

lutonhoo

Can anyone advise on a car hire company which is closest to the dock. We are going to rent a car in Florida for a week prior to our cruise and returning it once we are in Fort Lauderdale - was wondering which company would be the best for this??

If you look on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

you will see many discussions on this topic. Our March experience is with Hertz, their return location is a block from the 24th St port gate, and has a free shuttle to the port. There are other brands as well.

If you look on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

you will see many discussions on this topic. Our March experience is with Hertz, their return location is a block from the 24th St port gate, and has a free shuttle to the port. There are other brands as well.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Fort Lauderdale is a crazy place to drive in. But if you decide to rent a car, good luck & may God be with you.

It is crazy at times but we have rented a car many times there and have never had an accident or incident. You just have to keep your wits about you and watch for people pulling u-turns at lights. I wouldn't discourage people from renting a car in Fort Lauderdale, but I would mention that parking a car at a downtown hotel can run you up to $30.00 per night. :o

It is crazy at times but we have rented a car many times there and have never had an accident or incident. You just have to keep your wits about you and watch for people pulling u-turns at lights. I wouldn't discourage people from renting a car in Fort Lauderdale, but I would mention that parking a car at a downtown hotel can run you up to $30.00 per night. :o

At least it is not San Francisco with all the hills, taxi only lane, cable cars lane, one way street, and crazy tourist crossing the street. And parking is $75 a night!

I rented a car from the same Hertz location mentioned above earlier this month and I thought driving in Fort Lauderdale was nothing close to "crazy". :p The only thing I found is that people drive very slow and actually obey the speed limit. Here nobody drives speed limit.

We usually rent from Budget or Avis because of the no drop off charge (we often pick up in one city and drop in another). We seldom rent from the airport since we often arrive late at night and cannot be bothered with a car. Jump in a cab and pick up a car the next day.

In FLL we rent from Budget on 17th opposite the Renaissance or from Avis at Hyatt Pier 66. We usually use either my corporate discount or do a Costco rental. Lately Costco has been the best except when we only need a one day rental during a busy vacation period. We have rented from both locations many times. Never been an issue. Also rented from Budget and Avis in MIA, across from the Courtyard Marriott.

Once you book keep checking the rates. They go up and down based on demand. Not unusual to make a reservation, then get a lower rate some time later.

You are talking about AFTER your car rental...right? If you will be in the area for a couple days, a car rental is the way to go. If you are sailing from Port Everglades, then simply take the rental shuttle or grab a cab to port. Nothing is very far away! You don't need a "car for hire"....a cab is about $12.

You are talking about AFTER your car rental...right? If you will be in the area for a couple days, a car rental is the way to go. If you are sailing from Port Everglades, then simply take the rental shuttle or grab a cab to port. Nothing is very far away! You don't need a "car for hire"....a cab is about $12.

"Car for hire" is British for rental car.