Asked Room Number after Seated in Anytime Dining

ROWSE

Hi Kitty- When we used to do Anytime Dining we were usually asked at dinner, but never at breakfast or lunch. Hope your cruise was great and that you're enjoying those little guys.

Hi Jeannie,

Cruise was great, but we had to miss Tracy Arm and go straight to Juneau as a passenger was seriously ill. Disappointing, but life happens, and we just hope the young man was okay.

Grandbabies are growing like weeds and the love of our lives!!!

Excited for you two to begin your winter cruising and to get to read your blog again!!!!

Thanks for chiming in, always glad to hear from you!

When the wait staff asked our room number, it really didn't feel invasive or unsafe, just something they were doing this cruise, and it never dawned on me to ask why till I thought about it when I got home.

I have clarified this information with Princess .

Please contact Princess like I did.To argue is not my intention.

But... as we all know, if you call Princess 10 times with the same Q you could easily get 6 (if not more) different answers. :eek:

I chose anytime dining on all of my past Princess cruises and I was asked for my cabin number many times.

I think Princess was trying to make sure those who signed up tradition dining didn't come to anytime dining room because they missed their time slot or they didn't want to dine in the assigned table. I think it was a good thing that Princess asked for cabin number. I wouldn't want to see tradition dining passengers occupying anytime dining room. There was usually some wait time before getting seated in the anytime dining room.

On our June cruise on the Ruby, we were asked at every meal during anytime dining by our waiter. We stayed between two "sections" in anytime and by the end of the week we would just see our waiter write it on what looked like a spread sheet. We also noticed as we walked past the other service stations the same type of spreadsheet. It did not in any way bother us. We totally understand the need to track and trend information to improve service and evaluate staff. Just think the number of times you have heard a complaint at the Purser's desk about a staff member. At least half of the time I hear the statements .... "I don't know the table number!" and "he was foreign!". So, I would imagine this system may also help to clarify some of those situations.

Edited by Magellan321

On our June cruise on the Ruby, we were asked at every meal during anytime dining by our waiter. We stayed between two "sections" in anytime and by the end of the week we would just see our waiter write it on what looked like a spread sheet. We also noticed as we walked past the other service stations the same type of spreadsheet. It did not in any way bother us. We totally understand the need to track and trend information to improve service and evaluate staff. Just think the number of times you have heard a complaint at the Purser's desk about a staff member. At least half of the time I hear the statements .... "I don't know the table number!" and "he was foreign!". So, I would imagine this system may also help to clarify some of those situations.

With this being every meal were you not curious as to why they were using the spreadsheets? Nobody asked?The waiter did not give folks a reason? I dine in Traditional but I have eaten occasionally at a 'Special dinner' held in 'Anytime ' never asked for room number,or seen spreadsheets.

Edited by kruisey

But... as we all know, if you call Princess 10 times with the same Q you could easily get 6 (if not more) different answers. :eek:

Have always booked directly with Princess occasionally have had a border line answer this could be a new hired person.Otherwise am very satisfied with the answers I get from Princess:)

Edited by kruisey

I'd bet it is just to allocate gratuities. Traditional diners have an assigned table for the cruise, ATDers float with no good way to track who ate where.

I doubt this has anything to do with the gratuities.

All the gratuities collected from everybody that are allocated to waitstaff would be distributed evenly (or by whatever formula they may otherwise use) and is not dependent on who paid them or who eats where.

I was told that they want a record of who ate what and where so if they ever had a food illness outbreak they could quickly track it down. Made sense to me.

It would make sense if the waitstaff then made an entry of every item you consumed at the meal. I sincerely doubt the waitstaff have the time to enter into a computer that kind of information for everyone they are serving.

Plus, even if such information was being gathered, all the food you consume outside of the dining room (IC, buffet, grill, etc.) would not be included. And since the cabin number is not asked of those in traditional dining, such data would not be collected for those diners.

(Yes, the Headwaiters can look up who is assigned to each table in traditional, but the waitstaff have no idea who is who.)

With this being every meal were you not curious as to why they were using the spreadsheets? Nobody asked?The waiter did not give folks a reason? I dine in Traditional but I have eaten occasionally at a 'Special dinner' held in 'Anytime ' never asked for room number,or seen spreadsheets.

I simply answered the question asked. Honestly....I don't care. As somebody that has worked in corporate America...it's no big deal. I don't think anybody is going to steal my identity or track me down over the lobster I ordered in the dining room. It is a simple question...if it makes you uncomfortable...don't answer.

I simply answered the question asked. Honestly....I don't care. As somebody that has worked in corporate America...it's no big deal. I don't think anybody is going to steal my identity or track me down over the lobster I ordered in the dining room. It is a simple question...if it makes you uncomfortable...don't answer.

If I upset you

I did not read through the whole tread but I'm wondering, if they ask for your cabin number and you don't give it to them would they deny you access to the dining room?

I don't have a problem giving them my room number (as long as DW knows about it ;)), just curious what would happen if you don't.

Theo

I did not read through the whole tread but I'm wondering, if they ask for your cabin number and you don't give it to them would they deny you access to the dining room?

I don't have a problem giving them my room number (as long as DW knows about it ;)), just curious what would happen if you don't.

Theo

In 'Anytime' one of the Head Waiters at the door takes your cabin number.

I have been asked by a waiter at the table for my room number and do not give it.I had already given to the head waiter.