Is the P&O embarkation system fit for purpose?

terrierjohn

Is the P&O embarkation procedure fit for purpose.  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is the P&O embarkation procedure fit for purpose.

• Is the current system perfect
    • Should early bookers be able to choose their time
    • Should other tiers below Caribbean be given some priority.
    • Would having security first improve the process
    • Is CPS valet procedure causing delays
    • Should P&O management try to copy RCI/Celebrity Procedures

Question: Is the P&O embarkation system fit for purpose?

In my opinion, yes it is. I and my luggage are safely on board before the muster drill; surely that's the whole point to the process of embarkation?

Since the onset of the new system, we have twice had an embark time of 3:30pm. We've gone for lunch at La Regata and the Hythe Boathouse respectively. We've arrived at the terminal close to 3:00pm and gone straight through. No waiting, no queuing, no fussing, no fretting. Next month, we have an embark time of 2:30pm. We have a table booked at the Vestry, where we'll enjoy a great lunch, then wander across to the terminal for an efficient embarkation. I really can't see what all the fuss is about, I just think some people want to put hurdles in the way.

Thanks for that. We love La Regatta and you have given us 2 new eateries to try.

I vote for peanut63 too..:D

And a couple of thoughts to leave you with ( as i am absolutely gobsmacked at some of the comments I have read on this and another thread)...

Not all disabilities require a wheelchair

Not all disabilities are visible...especially to others

Go and read and digest the meaning of true disabilty discrimination...i have been a victim of it...and none of you on here meeting me on a cruise would ever know that I have a Disabilty....would you Scriv

I vote for peanut63 too..:D

And a couple of thoughts to leave you with ( as i am absolutely gobsmacked at some of the comments I have read on this and another thread)...

Not all disabilities require a wheelchair

Not all disabilities are visible...especially to others

Go and read and digest the meaning of true disabilty discrimination...i have been a victim of it...and none of you on here meeting me on a cruise would ever know that I have a Disabilty....would you Scriv��

Well said. My husband also looks fit and well but because of a serious health condition (he refuses to say disability) he has limited physical activity. My husband's problem means that he has to carry documentation with him in case he is taken ill suddenly and needs treatment because he will need special treatment.

Ironically the only time he has felt discriminated against was on Ventura last year, when he was refused entry to the lifts after muster and even showing his proof of his disabilty did not allow him to enter the lift even though grossly obese people were using the lifts because they said that they could not walk up stairs due to their size. He says that he felt that they were discriminating against who they consider to be able-bodied passengers.

I would reiterate to everyone - DO NOT assume that looking fit and well means that someone is fully able bodied.

Edited by Josy1953

I would like my Sister and her husband to be able to to board with us, we are Caribbean and they are Med. I know it is unreasonable and selfish and any other adjective you can think of, but it just what would make it perfect for us as we travel in one car, But its not going to happen so after arguing with P&O last time about it we have accepted the situation now. So 3:30 for us again next time I expect. I voted for the Celebrity/RCI option.

Our group is travelling in several cars with boarding times allocated by cabins chosen and it seems the time of booking. Our journey and arrival time is determined by those driving who have early boarding times which means the rest of us will be languishing in the lounge.

Perhaps P&O should ask passengers to nominate a preferred boarding time based on circumstances other than what grade one has reached?

Our group is travelling in several cars with boarding times allocated by cabins chosen and it seems the time of booking. Our journey and arrival time is determined by those driving who have early boarding times which means the rest of us will be languishing in the lounge.

Perhaps P&O should ask passengers to nominate a preferred boarding time based on circumstances other than what grade one has reached?

I agree that it's frustrating when the situation such as the one you describe occurs, but early boarding entitlement for Caribbean tier and above is one of the few meaningful benefits that the most loyal passengers receive and it takes a very long time indeed (and considerable cost) to qualify, so I think it would be extremely unjust to withdraw it.

I do, however, feel that the current system (post priority boarders) is based upon what suits P&O and not customers and that, in this day and age, is wrong.

I would like to see a system where Suite and high loyalty tier passengers board first and then everyone else is boarded in order of date of booking. That benefits P&O, as it encourages people to book early but, more importantly, it is entirely fair for passengers and would resolve the sort of situation you describe.

I would like my Sister and her husband to be able to to board with us, we are Caribbean and they are Med. I know it is unreasonable and selfish and any other adjective you can think of, but it just what would make it perfect for us as we travel in one car, But its not going to happen so after arguing with P&O last time about it we have accepted the situation now. So 3:30 for us again next time I expect. I voted for the Celebrity/RCI option.

You can still travel in the one car. Just means you board slightly later than your loyalty tier allows. Whats the problem? or do you want your friends to board at the earlier time with you. Even if that were possible you would split for lunch as they could not go into the high tier and suite dining option. If you didn't want to split you would both go into the buffet, so why not board at their time.

Similar thread on FB. travelling in one car. one couple upgraded to a suite, their friends in a normal cabin next door, Same situation even if feasible to board earler they would either have to split for lunch or all go to the buffet. In which case why not all board together at the later time.

And everyone would want earlier times. Once they were gone and people had to chose a later time..do you think they will turn up at that later time...or just gone 12 as they always do..as it suits them.

You can still travel in the one car. Just means you board slightly later than your loyalty tier allows. Whats the problem? or do you want your friends to board at the earlier time with you. Even if that were possible you would split for lunch as they could not go into the high tier and suite dining option. If you didn't want to split you would both go into the buffet, so why not board at their time.

Similar thread on FB. travelling in one car. one couple upgraded to a suite, their friends in a normal cabin next door, Same situation even if feasible to board earler they would either have to split for lunch or all go to the buffet. In which case why not all board together at the later time.

As I already said - We will be boarding at the later time, not a problem, but am losing the benefit of early boarding. All I stated was what would make it perfect for us. As stated many times on here by many people 'why can other companies board earlier and P&O can't'

And everyone would want earlier times. Once they were gone and people had to chose a later time..do you think they will turn up at that later time...or just gone 12 as they always do..as it suits them.

You may be right but I doubt that all of them would arrive early; and it could well be very beneficial for P&O by encouraging passengers to book early to obtain an official early boarding time giving them earlier revenues from the deposits.

Why so?

We travel as a group of experienced and first time cruisers and it would be nice if we could all board together so the old hands can lead the way. If that means boarding at 3pm then so be it.

As it is we will have to make arrangements to meet at a designated point at an unknown time - we may get boarded early - our friends may have eaten and we may not have time which could have a knock on effect as to what time we head for the MDR for our evening meal and so on.

Last time one of our party had a hospital appointment that could not be changed so we were rushing to meet our boarding time. We weren't sure whether being late meant joining the end of the queue so skipped lunch and hit the accelerator.

We've only ever done short cruises with P&O and yes I agree most would probably want to board early to make the most of the weekend but if it's on a first come first served basis surely that would be understood by all?

Overall it seems the P&O boarding times are based on privilege not practicality.

You have to laugh. People complain that the loyalty scheme is not good enough. Then others complain that they can't board first because people on a high tier get on first as a benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You have to laugh. People complain that the loyalty scheme is not good enough. Then others complain that they can't board first because people on a high tier get on first as a benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You just keep stirring Dai, I am sure something interesting will pop up eventually.;p:cool: