Is the P&O embarkation system fit for purpose?

terrierjohn

Is the P&O embarkation procedure fit for purpose.  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is the P&O embarkation procedure fit for purpose.

• Is the current system perfect
    • Should early bookers be able to choose their time
    • Should other tiers below Caribbean be given some priority.
    • Would having security first improve the process
    • Is CPS valet procedure causing delays
    • Should P&O management try to copy RCI/Celebrity Procedures

So with 35 votes in so far only 4 thought it was fully fit for purpose, 14 prefer the RCI system and 13 want early bookers to have priority.

I accept this format was possibly not the best way to run a poll but so far it seems that only just over 10% are happy with the P&O system, the rest want some sort of change and recognition of either early booking or being a past passenger.

Clearly this forum has a far more discerning clientele than poor old Facecloth.

So with 35 votes in so far only 4 thought it was fully fit for purpose, 14 prefer the RCI system and 13 want early bookers to have priority.

I accept this format was possibly not the best way to run a poll but so far it seems that only just over 10% are happy with the P&O system, the rest want some sort of change and recognition of either early booking or being a past passenger.

Clearly this forum has a far more discerning clientele than poor old Facecloth.

Sorry John this was not a poll as people pointed out at the start.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry John this was not a poll as people pointed out at the start.

Yes but everyone knew that after reading your post, and yet only 4 people, presumably including you, gave the current P&O system their full approval.

True poll or not it must reflect the views of those who completed it; if you disagree maybe you could create a proper poll for us to vote on.

Yes but everyone knew that after reading your post, and yet only 4 people, presumably including you, gave the current P&O system their full approval.

True poll or not it must reflect the views of those who completed it; if you disagree maybe you could create a proper poll for us to vote on.

I did not perhaps I missed the poll. Was not on my IPad.

Just checked the poll on here does not work on the IPad app.

Looked at the options nothing I can vote for. Only one, for the system and that says is it perfect all the others are against it.

You can't have a proper poll with one extreme positive and 5 negatives of varying degrees.

Totally loaded. Sorry no validity at all. And not everyone can vote especially using an IPad app.

We don't have a problem with check in and the wait time. Just sit patiently. Without going in to too much detail my husband is disabled and needs a shower/commode to access the toilet so cannot use the public loo. We too could kick up a fuss and ask to get on first like the lady with the 101 year old mother. Most disabled people have their own personal reason for wanting to get onto the ship first. Fortunately we don't all kick up a fuss. P and O do not discriminate, the system is fair for all disabled.

We don't have a problem with check in and the wait time. Just sit patiently. Without going in to too much detail my husband is disabled and needs a shower/commode to access the toilet so cannot use the public loo. We too could kick up a fuss and ask to get on first like the lady with the 101 year old mother. Most disabled people have their own personal reason for wanting to get onto the ship first. Fortunately we don't all kick up a fuss. P and O do not discriminate, the system is fair for all disabled.

So nice to read that. Personally I don't have a problem with disabled people being given a priority for boarding. We are fortunate in that respect but in any event we have never had a problem. We are given a time and turn up then and get on board in a reasonable time but I have read time and time again on Forums where so many people think that boarding times don't apply to them.

Just as an aside, we were flying to Spain the other day and had booked and paid for Priority Boarding. First on was a lady in a wheelchair. As I say, no problem but there were another 4 people who apparently were travelling with her and managed to get on with her.

So nice to read that. Personally I don't have a problem with disabled people being given a priority for boarding. We are fortunate in that respect but in any event we have never had a problem. We are given a time and turn up then and get on board in a reasonable time but I have read time and time again on Forums where so many people think that boarding times don't apply to them.

Just as an aside, we were flying to Spain the other day and had booked and paid for Priority Boarding. First on was a lady in a wheelchair. As I say, no problem but there were another 4 people who apparently were travelling with her and managed to get on with her.

That was one of the reasons we turned to cruising. On our last flight, about 6 years ago we were flying from Lanzarote. There must have been about 8 wheelchair users on board which in itself wasn't a problem but once we landed at Leeds/Bradford it took forever to get off the plane because as you say everyone thinks they have a right to get off with the wheelchair user. They had to use an ambi lift so only one wheelchair user could get off at a time because of the hangers on. x

It's a shame that a few of you have turned this into an opportunity to 'have a go' at disabled people. I'm ashamed to say that I used to think exactly the same way as you. Then my wife became disabled and I now see things entirely differently. When people are in a wheelchair, they can have many other needs than purely mobility. Often there can be anxiety of crowded places (as you are low down and vulnerable) and the need to get to a toilet quickly, plus many other things. Carers need to be on hand to respond (often quickly) to these issues and other things. So, to suggest that the person(s) they are travelling with doesn't need to board or disembark with them is wrong. They don't always need to be first on or off (that's down to the carrier), but do need to do so with their travel companions. And if it's a plane with no reserved seating, their travel companions need to be sat with them, not elsewhere in the plane. I'm no 'disability vigilante' but some of the commentary is based on ignorance of the extreme difficulties that disabled people (and their family members / carers) face. So, let's get back to the topic please.

It's a shame that a few of you have turned this into an opportunity to 'have a go' at disabled people. I'm ashamed to say that I used to think exactly the same way as you. Then my wife became disabled and I now see things entirely differently. When people are in a wheelchair, they can have many other needs than purely mobility. Often there can be anxiety of crowded places (as you are low down and vulnerable) and the need to get to a toilet quickly, plus many other things. Carers need to be on hand to respond (often quickly) to these issues and other things. So, to suggest that the person(s) they are travelling with doesn't need to board or disembark with them is wrong. They don't always need to be first on or off (that's down to the carrier), but do need to do so with their travel companions. And if it's a plane with no reserved seating, their travel companions need to be sat with them, not elsewhere in the plane. I'm no 'disability vigilante' but some of the commentary is based on ignorance of the extreme difficulties that disabled people (and their family members / carers) face. So, let's get back to the topic please.

I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at disabled people, I obviously wasn't as my husband is disabled. The point I was trying to make was when getting off a plane not all people travelling with a disabled person needed to use the ambi lift. One travelling companion would be fine. Sorry if you thought I was picking on disabled as I certainly wasn't. I think I might stop posting as obviously you misunderstood what I said and I don't want to upset anyone. I am also aware of the role of a carer as I do it 24/7 .

Edited by stocktonmackem
adding to post

I certainly didn't have a go at disabled people. Far from it. I did have a go at one group where FIVE people went with a disabled passenger. You really should read posts properly before you comment and cause upset.

We stay overnight before a cruise at the Holiday Inn near the terminal. We have breakfast and get kicked out of our room by 12 noon and go straight to the terminal.

We have never had a boarding time before 3.00 pm, so we take newspapers and books and sit and read, chat and people watch until we are called.

Some people seem to have no patience and moan - fortunately most folk just accept the situation and don't moan.

We stay overnight before a cruise at the Holiday Inn near the terminal. We have breakfast and get kicked out of our room by 12 noon and go straight to the terminal.

We have never had a boarding time before 3.00 pm, so we take newspapers and books and sit and read, chat and people watch until we are called.

Some people seem to have no patience and moan - fortunately most folk just accept the situation and don't moan.

Although I moan on here I rarely do so in the terminal, perhaps I should so Dai doesn't think I'm content with the embarkation procedure.

But I will continue to moan about P&O's shortcomings on here, even if no one in their management team bothers to read these boards.

I certainly didn't have a go at disabled people. Far from it. I did have a go at one group where FIVE people went with a disabled passenger. You really should read posts properly before you comment and cause upset.

I think you forgot to fully read Selbourne's post, he was pointing out why family members needed to board with a disabled passenger where seating was not reserved; although I would equally argue that they should be allowed to accompany them regardless, and its hardly likely to slow down your boarding, quite the reverse really as standard boarding will be 5 persons less.

Although I moan on here I rarely do so in the terminal, perhaps I should so Dai doesn't think I'm content with the embarkation procedure.

But I will continue to moan about P&O's shortcomings on here, even if no one in their management team bothers to read these boards.

I was thinking about all the moaners on here and wondering if one of their moans was the moaners on P&O. Just a thought.

Anyway soon you will stop moaning as you will be on by 13.00. And people can moan at you.

:)

I was thinking about all the moaners on here and wondering if one of their moans was the moaners on P&O. Just a thought.

Anyway soon you will stop moaning as you will be on by 13.00. And people can moan at you.

:)

Won't be Caribou level until after our 35 nighter in Feb next year, so I won't be joining the other pampered reindeer until our June 2018 cruise, plenty of time for more moaning.;p

I wont vote on the options as none reflect my thoughts, but my observations/comments are I do not care what time I get on board, I do not expect my lunch on the ship, I travel solo and I have both the patience and manners to wait patiently and not moan as well as the ability to entertain myself, I usually stop on my way down as I live in the North West so do not like to risk travelling on the same day. I would be happy to be last on board it does not affect my holiday one bit.

I wont vote on the options as none reflect my thoughts, but my observations/comments are I do not care what time I get on board, I do not expect my lunch on the ship, I travel solo and I have both the patience and manners to wait patiently and not moan as well as the ability to entertain myself, I usually stop on my way down as I live in the North West so do not like to risk travelling on the same day. I would be happy to be last on board it does not affect my holiday one bit.

I vote for Peanut

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes how sensible! On my first cruise I expected to be on about 4pm and was pleasantly surprised to be waved on in time for lunch! (We'd gone to the terminal to see where it was and were planning on turning around but were waved on!)

Also in Selbourne's thread about his 1996 cruise 4pm was the embarkation time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question: Is the P&O embarkation system fit for purpose?

In my opinion, yes it is. I and my luggage are safely on board before the muster drill; surely that's the whole point to the process of embarkation?

Since the onset of the new system, we have twice had an embark time of 3:30pm. We've gone for lunch at La Regata and the Hythe Boathouse respectively. We've arrived at the terminal close to 3:00pm and gone straight through. No waiting, no queuing, no fussing, no fretting. Next month, we have an embark time of 2:30pm. We have a table booked at the Vestry, where we'll enjoy a great lunch, then wander across to the terminal for an efficient embarkation. I really can't see what all the fuss is about, I just think some people want to put hurdles in the way.