RC newbie in need of help

Always have cruised carnival but want a change. Can those experienced RC cruisers share with me everything that is included in the price as well as what might be additional and how much it might cost. Ie: alacart restaurant, etc.

I know the deal with carnival but have no clue what I'm getting into with RC.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Different ships have different dining, but they follow this GENERAL path:

Main dining room - included in fare

Park Café (most ships) - quick service included in fare

Café Promenade - bakery, snacks, very light sandwiches/finger food

Sorrentos (most ships) - pizza/paninis included in fare

Italian restaurant (Jamie's or Giovanni's depending on ship) - upcharge

Chops Grill Steakhouse - upcharge

Mexican restaurant (limited number of ships, Sabor or Rita's) - upcharge

Izumi Asian (most ships) - upcharge for teppanyaki grill and a la carte for sushi bar, but free edamame and soup if you go with someone who is eating at sushi bar

Lots of bars from upscale champagne lounges to sports bars to pool bars to whatever bars

Always have cruised carnival but want a change. Can those experienced RC cruisers share with me everything that is included in the price as well as what might be additional and how much it might cost. Ie: alacart restaurant, etc.

I know the deal with carnival but have no clue what I'm getting into with RC.

Thanks in advance!

Like on Carnival, what RCI offers depends on the ship.

Upgraded Burgers: Unlike the free burgers at Guys, you have to pay a small cover charge at Johnny Rockets on RCI. But with that, you also get sit-down service, unlike the buffet-line style at Guys.

You'll notice the lido deck and pools themselves are much larger on RCI.

Almost all RCI ships have an adults only Solarium with pool, unlike how CCL is doing away with their adults only pools.

Entertainment is far better on RCI. The main shows blow away CCL's. Also, RCI still has a live calypso band on the lido.

Ship design is far better on RCI, and RCI ships feel less crowded.

I think the free food is the same quality. However, RCI offers more specialty options than CCL. Giovanni's Table is my personal favorite.

Standard staterooms tend to be a little smaller than CCL, but balconies are larger. I also think RCI designs their rooms nicer, unlike the pink rooms on older CCL ships.

RCI's comedy clubs are only on the newer ships and are one of the main shows. This means it's the same act, unlike how CCL has a different act almost every night.

Clarea.........good to know. I do both with carnival.

Another difference I've read about is the lack of 24-hour free ice cream. Royal does have free soft-serve available, but limited hours, like 11am to 6pm or 9pm.

How much of an up charge are the specialty restaurants?

Varies. I've seen evening meals as low as $20 and as high as $49, depending on ship and restaurant. Some restaurants are a la carte.

Also included are the sports activities including water slides, flow-riders, climbing walls, etc. There are a few gym classes that are no charge. BTW, there is free real ice cream every night in the buffet on most ships, also at dinner in the main dining room.

Also included are the sports activities including water slides, flow-riders, climbing walls, etc. There are a few gym classes that are no charge. BTW, there is free real ice cream every night in the buffet on most ships, also at dinner in the main dining room.

Another activity that is included is ice skating