Teens Program

Sanbel

I am taking my 10 and 12 yo on Voyager in October. I was wondering if the teen program operates in a similar manner to the ones for younger kids in that there is a set program running or do the teens just come and go as they please. Also my 12yo is very shy and was wondering if they would allow my 10yo to age up a level so that my children can stay together.

I really don't see them moving a 10 year old into the teen group - if anything, they might allow the older child to move down a group.

I agree - they might move the 12-year-old down. In actuality neither one is a teen, as OP refers to them. Teen program goes up to and including 17-year-olds.

Actual age groups are 9-11, 12-14, 15-17. The latter two groups are often the smallest groups and are often combined. They do have organized activities, but might do things like a scavenger hunt, and things that take them outside of the kid's area. They can also come and go as they wish. Personally wouldn't want a 10-year-old in that group.

I wished my 10.5 year old could have done the 12-14 group activities last week. They had basketball at the Sports Court and Flowrider time and ship scavenger hunts that he wanted to do SOOo badly. He is taller than most 12 year olds and plays on sports teams with 12s so I think he would have fit in during the structures activities well.

I posted all of the kids compasses from my Liberty Cruise last week in my review. My 10 yo was able to sign out of the kids club whenever he was bored there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked on our last two cruises, "when our son is 12, can we still put him in the 9-11 group?" We were told yes on both ships but that once he is registered for kids club, he can't join the teen activities. And that is fine with me.

I'd wait until you were on board and then go talk to the counselors in both groups. Last summer DD11 (just shy of 12) stayed in the 8-11 grouping and DS14 (just shy of 15) was in the younger teen grouping of 12-14. I think a 10 year old would feel out of place--it is very middle school type dynamic with very little pre=planned. Lots of roaming around ship on their own or or ice breaker type games in their area--where again I think the dynamic is much more older middle school--your shy 12 year old might not even really like it.

Last spring we took a short cruise with just DD and I think due to time of year and short cruise there were few kids in kids club. But she followed the schedule they give out (which they seem to follow pretty accurately) and she went for the activities she thought she'd like--Gaga Ball, Dodgeball, Scavenger Hunt, etc. She ended up having a lot of fun and helped a lot with the little kids because they combined the ages. I bet they'd let your 12 year old move down and the 2 of them could go to the activities that look fun for them. They could then sign themselves out and meet you if they're not happy with the activity.

I am taking my 10 and 12 yo on Voyager in October. I was wondering if the teen program operates in a similar manner to the ones for younger kids in that there is a set program running or do the teens just come and go as they please. Also my 12yo is very shy and was wondering if they would allow my 10yo to age up a level so that my children can stay together.

The teen group is not very organized. They have to scavenger hunts and an initial meet and greet other than that the lounge is just an area where they can hang out. We have not had any trouble with younger kids hanging out with their siblings. You can allow your 10 yo to check themselves out of Adventure Ocean if you like.

Last summer we took our kids. DS turned 14 on Day 2 and DD was 1 month from turning 12. I signed a waiver for DD that I was ok w/her moving to the older group. They both had a great time. It wasn't super structured but they did have scheduled activities. DD still has a group chat with several of the kids (ages 12-17). She said the last night of the cruise they were sitting around talking and somehow her age came up. They all never realized she was as young as she was.

Thanks everyone. I'll ask when I get on board. We did a cruise last year and the girls got bored in the 9-11 age group so hopefully they will let my youngest go up.

Our eldest(13) loves the teen club. On Allure last year she was just turned 12 that month...the is no way in my opinion activities are suitable for a 10 year old or would most teens want a 10 year old in their club....a few weeks/months short of 12 I suspect ok but not a year or more. Activities often merge and they will be mixing with up to 17 year olds.

Thanks everyone. I'll ask when I get on board. We did a cruise last year and the girls got bored in the 9-11 age group so hopefully they will let my youngest go up.

I doubt any cruise line is letting a 10 year old into the teen club! And I've found most of my kids disliked tween programs, regardless of the ship - it's an awkward age group.