Explorer Embarkation Lunch Venues?

crooz4fun

I've read that CR is not open for lunch on Explorer, but one or two of the specialty restaurants are available (depending on whether it's a port day or a sea day) in addition to La Veranda.

What I would like to know is what venues are open on embarkation days?

Thanks in advance for the info.

On the transatlantic cruise in November, the venues open for lunch on embarkation day were La Veranda, the Pool Grill and an Italian themed deck buffet next to the Pool Grill. Hope this helps.

On the transatlantic cruise in November, the venues open for lunch on embarkation day were La Veranda, the Pool Grill and an Italian themed deck buffet next to the Pool Grill. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dave. That's just the info I was looking for. Since we are also on a TA, it will probably be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Dave. That's just the info I was looking for. Since we are also on a TA, it will probably be the same.

-----

A bit of news. Based on a recent conversation with my TA:

First, on Explorer. Compass Rose is only open for lunch on Sundays. Actually, not lunch, but Brunch.

Now, as to how this is handled on embarkation days: My wife and I will board Explorer on March 26th, a Sunday, at Miami. CR will be open for lunch (Brunch). This particular cruise--Miami to Barcelona--is linked to Regent's celebration of its 25th business year. So, special events for TAs and "clients", i.e. passengers. Thus, early boarding at Miami, hopefully, around 11:45am. Then, lunch (Brunch) onboard.

Then, the lifeboat drill, of course, before leaving for Bermuda.

Sue and I will remain onboard to Venice. (See other threads.)

GO ARMY!

-----

First, on Explorer. Compass Rose is only open for lunch on Sundays. Actually, not lunch, but Brunch.

Now, as to how this is handled on embarkation days: My wife and I will board Explorer on March 26th, a Sunday, at Miami. CR will be open for lunch (Brunch). This particular cruise--Miami to Barcelona--is linked to Regent's celebration of its 25th business year. So, special events for TAs and "clients", i.e. passengers. Thus, early boarding at Miami, hopefully, around 11:45am. Then, lunch (Brunch) onboard.

GO ARMY!

First, BEAT NAVY! Oh yeah, that (finally) happened this year!

Thanks for the info on boarding on the 26th. We (Scott & Judy), too, will be on board from Miami to Venice. One slight inconsistency in what your TA reported: the Regent web site has always listed the second segment (Barcelona-Venice) as a "25th Anniversary cruise (along with a couple dozen other cruises during 2017). So, the special events may be during the second segment, not from Miami-Barcelona. Of course, for those on for both segments or who booked it as the single 24-night cruise, the difference is irrelevant.

Portolan (COL, USA Ret.)

-----

GO ARMY!

Agree with Scott - the celebration will be on the second segment of that cruise. In terms of Miami, it is my understanding that there is a private party in CR on the day of embarkation so it will not be open to most passengers. Also, once you have seen the amazing Brunch on the Explorer, you will see how difficult it would be to put out such a spread on embarkation day for 750 passengers. In Miami, if disembarkation were finished by 9:30 a.m., Regent would be happy.

We are looking forward to this cruise (only to Barcelona as we've done the Med. twice in the last few months).

I am also dubious about the Compass Rose Sunday brunch being held on embarkation day (March 26). Putting on the brunch is very labor-intensive and it would be a logistical nightmare to attempt it on embarkation day when the crew is rushing to get the ship ready for the new passengers.

I just checked with my friend Thundery who was on the Explorer cruise which left Miami on Sunday, December 4. She indicated that neither the specialty restaurants nor Compass Rose were open on embarkation day. The current Explorer cruise also embarked on a Sunday. Perhaps someone on that cruise can chime in here and let us know whether Compass Rose was open for lunch on embarkation day.

I am also dubious about the Compass Rose Sunday brunch being held on embarkation day (March 26). Putting on the brunch is very labor-intensive and it would be a logistical nightmare to attempt it on embarkation day when the crew is rushing to get the ship ready for the new passengers.

I just checked with my friend Thundery who was on the Explorer cruise which left Miami on Sunday, December 4. She indicated that neither the specialty restaurants nor Compass Rose were open on embarkation day. The current Explorer cruise also embarked on a Sunday. Perhaps someone on that cruise can chime in here and let us know whether Compass Rose was open for lunch on embarkation day.

-------

Well. Time will tell. I can only repeat what our TA told us. Either way--we will have four Sundays on Explorer. So--if the March 26th "Special Event" lunch/brunch at CR does not occur upon embarkation--somehow, Sue and I will deal w/this First World Problem on our way to Venice. Simply rely on scraps from our hotel breakfast; and hold-on until dinner.

We have been cruising for 20+ years, and certainly understand those first-day situations getting the prior folks off, hopefully with their luggage; and getting the "Newbies" with their luggage on. Most-often, only the designated Veranda or Pool Grill venues are open. Whatever.

Regards, and see you all either Miami or Barcelona upon boarding Explorer.

Jim, LTC, U.S. Army (Ret.)

------------

By now, those who share our same TA should have received a detailed, January 19th, or thereabouts, Regent Itinerary covering March 25 and March 26th events related to its 25th Year Anniversary celebration at Miami. These include a March 25th 4:30pm reception at Regent's HQ; followed by hosted dinner at a local restaurant.

Then, on March 26th: 11:00AM pick-up at designated hotels (in our case--Hotel Westin Colonnade Coral Gables) for transport to Explorer. "Expedited" boarding to allow meeting at CR for "special luncheon seating" beginning at 12:15pm.

In any event, look forward to meeting "fellow-travelers" aboard Explorer during our March 26-April 19th cruise to Venice.

Best,

GO ARMY!

------------

By now, those who share our same TA should have received a detailed, January 19th, or thereabouts, Regent Itinerary covering March 25 and March 26th events related to its 25th Year Anniversary celebration at Miami. These include a March 25th 4:30pm reception at Regent's HQ; followed by hosted dinner at a local restaurant.

Then, on March 26th: 11:00AM pick-up at designated hotels (in our case--Hotel Westin Colonnade Coral Gables) for transport to Explorer. "Expedited" boarding to allow meeting at CR for "special luncheon seating" beginning at 12:15pm.

In any event, look forward to meeting "fellow-travelers" aboard Explorer during our March 26-April 19th cruise to Venice.

Best,

GO ARMY!

As posted previously, this is not open to all Regent cruisers but is a special, private event. IMO, this should not be posted lest others feel left out. Having said that, I will not share anything further about it and hope that others will do the same.

As posted previously, this is not open to all Regent cruisers but is a special, private event. IMO, this should not be posted lest others feel left out. Having said that, I will not share anything further about it and hope that others will do the same.

-------

I got way-too far-out over my skies on this one. Offer a personal apology to any, and all on the matter. I will say nothing further on the matter, other to "say" a sincere Mea Culpa.

Jim B.

Hopefully, all Cruise Critic fellow passengers will acknowledge my sincere apology, having fallen on a self-inflicted sword.

Let us all regard the unique opportunity to meet on Explorer for a wonderful Miami-Barcelona (or perhaps continuing to Venice) March-April cruise.

We are so-fortunate.

No more will be said until an opportunity to meet with our brethren at the Miami sail-out, or whatever venue Regent arranges.

Best.

GO ARMY. (Under the circumstances, no exclamation point, as that point has been made.)

IMHO it is much better for this information to be openly shared up-front rather than being kept secret. If some individuals are in receipt of a special freebie, why should they feel embarrassed

There seems no good reason why GOARMY should have been forced into an unnecessary apology and I hope all those invited enjoy the special events

IMHO it is much better for this information to be openly shared up-front rather than being kept secret. If some individuals are in receipt of a special freebie, why should they feel embarrassed

There seems no good reason why GOARMY should have been forced into an unnecessary apology and I hope all those invited enjoy the special events

I agree. Certain travelers get certain perks which are supported by, but not sponsored by Regent. Nothing wrong with getting some bennies from a travel group, TA, card company, etc. This is very different than Regent setting up, say, a special dining venue for the select few.

I've received invitations for receptions, special tours, etc. from third-party groups and I know others have as well. Noting wrong with that at all in my book.