Dry-Aged Prime beef in Chops -- AND -- Chops Grille California Vineyards

Starting to do my research since we haven't sailed with Royal in a couple of years. Booked the Freedom for August and just noticed that they now offer a couple of Dry-Aged Prime options (NY strip and Porterhouse I believe).

So - what's the feedback on these steaks, from those who've tried them ?

I don't mind paying an additional amount if they're up to par.

---

Also, any opinions on the Chops Grille California Vineyards dinner? Is there one offered each night? Is it usually at the same time? Since we just booked, I see an opening (7:30) on only the first night...

THANKS,

Tom

Starting to do my research since we haven't sailed with Royal in a couple of years. Booked the Freedom for August and just noticed that they now offer a couple of Dry-Aged Prime options (NY strip and Porterhouse I believe).

---

Also, any opinions on the Chops Grille California Vineyards dinner? Is there one offered each night? Is it usually at the same time? Since we just booked, I see an opening (7:30) on only the first night...

THANKS,

Tom

A friend of mine had the porterhouse on Freedom. I wouldn't waste the money. But my whole opinion of Chops has changed so I may not be one to listen to

THANKS,

Tom

I had the dry-aged porterhouse twice on the Serenade back in March and thought it was awesome. I normally eat ribeyes and not New York strips or porterhouses but the strip side of the two I had on that cruise was so tender and delicious I preferred it over the filet mignon side which shocked me. :)

The last time we ate at Chops, we were pretty disappointed in the general quality. Right after the new menu came out, we bumped into the couple that had eaten at the next table, and she said she'd tried the dry aged extra fee item, and wouldn't get it again.

Basically, we're not inclined to go to Chops unless it's part of a package deal. The pretzel bread was half eaten, and that's unusual for me, because I like pretzels. And it went down from there

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

I've heard that they often have offers the first night of the cruise for Chops, so personally I'd wait and see if you can grab a deal before deciding on the venue. If you got 50% off it'd probably worth going and trying it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

We've enjoyed easily 125+ meals in the Steakhouses on Carnival. As a whole, at $35 pp, it's hard to beat (aged, prime beef as well). On most sailings with them we dine in there every night - thus the chef often cooks up some special off-menu courses. I think we've been spoiled !!

... and I agree with the comment about variability with steak quality. One cruise the steaks are melt-in-your-mouth, the next they might be good exercise for your jaw muscles !

Any insights on the "California Vineyards" meal ?

Tom

We also booked the Chops California Vineyards Dinner on the Liberty. It was only offered once and on the only full day we have in Bermuda. 6:30 is a bit early too. I was unable to find info too! I can't comment on the extra fee steaks either. I have been to Chop's Grille twice on the Allure with the old and new menu and I thought everything was good. The only thing that I would not order this time on the Liberty is the short rib after someone posted a picture of it online:eek:

We also booked the Chops California Vineyards Dinner on the Liberty. It was only offered once and on the only full day we have in Bermuda. 6:30 is a bit early too. I was unable to find info too! I can't comment on the extra fee steaks either. I have been to Chop's Grille twice on the Allure with the old and new menu and I thought everything was good. The only thing that I would not order this time on the Liberty is the short rib after someone posted a picture of it online:eek:

Thanks

I had no idea that they offer that meal only once/sailing. That definitely changes things - as I had hoped to book in for St. Thomas night, however it only shows as available on embarkation day... 7:30 pm. I assumed it was owing to my late booking status (and the preferred days were already spoken for).

Our "least planned" evenings are typically the first and last night of the cruise... odd to offer this on the first night - almost like they don't want to fill the seats!

Tom

I enjoyed Chops last September on Allure several times. It was after the new menu came out and I liked the variety. I had the dry aged steaks, and I thought they were good. My only experience on Carnival was on Liberty eight or nine years ago. I thought the steakhouse on Carnival Liberty at the time was FAR superior to any experience I've ever had at Chops on any ship.

Thanks for the feedback.

We've enjoyed easily 125+ meals in the Steakhouses on Carnival.

You will probably be disappointed with Chops then. I have not ran into anyone that cruises BOTH lines all the time that will give Chops better reviews than any of Carnivals steakhouses. And as you said, Carnival does NOT charge extra for a "better" cut of meat.

Chops at one time was a wonderful experience when we went there back in 2011. Now just very "meh" or mediocre. I probably sound like a broken record here to some but Ive seriously had better steaks at our local low tier Western Sizzler type steakhouse.

I still cant get over how any place can call themselves a steakhouse and not offer a ribeye. They almost removed the baked potato too until everyone raised such a ruckus.

---

THANKS,

Tom

Hi Tom My wife and I did the California Vineyards dinner. If you enjoy really good wines you will enjoy the dinner. If the wine is not your thing then just do the regular dinner. Basically they use there top appetizers and Filet Mignon and Top dessert and match it with some expensive wines that most people will never go and buy. We enjoyed it Very Much. Paul. And it was one night only

Edited by bluebeard39
needed to add more info

Chops at one time was a wonderful experience when we went there back in 2011. Now just very "meh" or mediocre. I probably sound like a broken record here to some but Ive seriously had better steaks at our local low tier Western Sizzler type steakhouse.

I only have my own experience to go by but I have a hard time believing this isn't an over-exaggeration. :)

The Windjammer "steak" I had was similar to the ones at http://www.ryans.com but no way is the Chops steak in that class. :)

I still cant get over how any place can call themselves a steakhouse and not offer a ribeye. They almost removed the baked potato too until everyone raised such a ruckus.

Yes, I have to agree with this one. The ribeye omission is criminal. LOL Although, I don't think the technically call it a steakhouse. Isn't it Chops Grille or something like that?

... and I agree with the comment about variability with steak quality. One cruise the steaks are melt-in-your-mouth, the next they might be good exercise for your jaw muscles !

Tom

And food opinions (including my own) should be taken with a huge amount of skepticism. I generally suggest people to just try it themselves and form their own opinion. (even though I gave an opinion earlier)

We were eating dessert at Giovannis on our last cruise and the wife, myself, and a guy sitting behind my wife all had the same dessert. The guy behind my wife was complaining about it and saying it was inedible and terrible. I thought to myself "are you friggin kidding me?". That dessert was to was awesome times 10. That just confirmed for me that some people's opinions are going to be polar opposite of your own and for reasons you may not agree with. :)

I'm with you there - as my default steak is a Ribeye! The more fat/marbling the better. Having said that - I had a Kobe Ribeye (well, they insisted it was the real deal - but who knows) in Vegas (Prime @ Bellagio) - and it was honestly TOO fatty, but certainly did melt in my mouth!

Tom

I only have my own experience to go by but I have a hard time believing this isn't an over-exaggeration. :)

The Windjammer "steak" I had was similar to the ones at http://www.ryans.com but no way is the Chops steak in that class. :)

Yes, I have to agree with this one. The ribeye omission is criminal. LOL Although, I don't think the technically call it a steakhouse. Isn't it Chops Grille or something like that?

I am not exaggerating at all. Our local "low tier" steakhouse is actually pretty good with great service and less expensive than Chops. Now of course the ambiance isnt the same but again, the quality of food in Chops no longer matches the upscale atmosphere. Neither did the service :) Many have pointed this out so Im not alone with my thinking. This of course is just MY opinion of which others may certainly disagree with.

And yes, everything I have ever read certainly points to Chops Grille being a steakhouse :) They even go as far as to claim "best steaks on the high seas" or something like that. Many disagree.

I'm with you there - as my default steak is a Ribeye! The more fat/marbling the better. Having said that - I had a Kobe Ribeye (well, they insisted it was the real deal - but who knows) in Vegas (Prime @ Bellagio) - and it was honestly TOO fatty, but certainly did melt in my mouth!

Tom

Chops use to have an incredible 16oz bone in ribeye! Tom, I encourage to give Chops a try. Dont listen to my rant. Its just i was so spoiled the first time I went to Chops that the last two times have not even come close to measuring up to that and I dont really care for their "new" menu and very limited selection of steak. Im not sure we will give them another chance :)

Edited by ryano

the quality of food in Chops no longer matches the upscale atmosphere. Neither did the service

I fully believe if we would have asked our waiter to jump in the ocean, knife a shark, bring it back to the kitchen, and have it cooked for us then he would have done exactly that. :)

I realize that there are a lot of factors involved but our service was outstanding both times we went.

Of course, I have probably jinxed myself now and when we go in November on Liberty the steak and service will be lousy. LOL

Edited by NightOne

Your experience does not mean an exaggeration by another poster. I happen to agree with ryano. Chops has gone way down hill and we have stopped going. This was not an isolated case for us. I would guess 5 or 6 different ships.

Your experience does not mean an exaggeration by another poster. I happen to agree with ryano. Chops has gone way down hill and we have stopped going. This was not an isolated case for us. I would guess 5 or 6 different ships.

I am not disagreeing that he believes it has went downhill but rather that the comparison of quality level is exaggerated.

For example, if you you had a bad experience at the Ritz Carlton it would be an exaggeration to say it is on the hotel is now on the same level as Motel 6. :)

I am not disagreeing that he believes it has went downhill but rather that the comparison of quality level is exaggerated.

For example, if you you had a bad experience at the Ritz Carlton it would be an exaggeration to say it is on the hotel is now on the same level as Motel 6. :)

Not on a level of Motel 6, but it is on a level of Outback. It the food and service has gone way down hill since the new menu was introduced.

Not on a level of Motel 6, but it is on a level of Outback. It the food and service has gone way down hill since the new menu was introduced.

Ok, well it sounds like you are basically agreeing with me. :)

Outback > Western Sizzler

Again, I agree that any give ship, sail date, waiter/waitress, cook, etc. may result in a different experience than I personally had but my experience was just fine. :)

We will be on the Oasis in October. Have a free dinner from our TA for a specialty. We were definitely going to do Chops. Now, not so sure. I love a good rib-eye as well and totally agree that Carnival's steakhouse is excellent. Our last cruise was on the Equinox and sadly I was disappointed in Murano's. so yes, everyone is an individual with their own tastes preferences. That being said, if not Chops any recommendations? thx

We will be on the Oasis in October. Have a free dinner from our TA for a specialty. We were definitely going to do Chops. Now, not so sure. I love a good rib-eye as well and totally agree that Carnival's steakhouse is excellent. Our last cruise was on the Equinox and sadly I was disappointed in Murano's. so yes, everyone is an individual with their own tastes preferences. That being said, if not Chops any recommendations? thx

We like Giovanni's Table.