taking non alcoholic drinks onboard

angelbearmom

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering if there is any problem taking non alcoholic drinks-juice, pop with you? 2 weeks tonight I'll be enjoying luxury on the NA on the way to Panama Canal. I have a particular type of juice I like at night. I'm also likely going to need a fair amount of coke to keep my head happy. Can I just take them on board with me or do I have to buy them (coke anyways) on board? I'm leaving from my home port so fitting them into luggage weight wise isn't a problem.

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering if there is any problem taking non alcoholic drinks-juice, pop with you? 2 weeks tonight I'll be enjoying luxury on the NA on the way to Panama Canal. I have a particular type of juice I like at night. I'm also likely going to need a fair amount of coke to keep my head happy. Can I just take them on board with me or do I have to buy them (coke anyways) on board? I'm leaving from my home port so fitting them into luggage weight wise isn't a problem.

Feel free to bring as many non-alcoholic beverages as you wish in your "Carry-on" luggage. HAL serves Coke products ($2.25 + 15%) at all bars and dining rooms.

Make sure you eat at least one dinner in the Tamarind Restaurant during your time on the NA: Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Menu.pdf

Enjoy your cruise.

Many people will tell you that you have to carry on these non alcoholic drinks aboard yourself, however this is their preference and not a fixed rule. On embarkation you are allowed to tag cases of such for boarding, but you must not have them inside checked luggage. So, if for example you have some bottles of soda etc, carry them aboard. If you have a case or cases of soda or water that are too heavy to carry on yourself, tag them with luggage tags for boarding. Holland America 'frowns' on doing this, but will allow it. If you call ships services they will confirm this fact.

Many people will tell you that you have to carry on these non alcoholic drinks aboard yourself, however this is their preference and not a fixed rule. On embarkation you are allowed to tag cases of such for boarding, but you must not have them inside checked luggage. So, if for example you have some bottles of soda etc, carry them aboard. If you have a case or cases of soda or water that are too heavy to carry on yourself, tag them with luggage tags for boarding. Holland America 'frowns' on doing this, but will allow it. If you call ships services they will confirm this fact.

Proven fact - you can call Seattle 3 different times with the same question and get 3 different answers.

I fail to see the need to do this.

HAL does "frown" on it for the risk of other luggage and the work for the stewards. They do ask it be carried on and it has been posted on their FB page.

You can bring non alcoholic beverages on in any port. No need to load cases on embarkation.

One of the reasons the wine policy was cancelled was because of the number of people who loaded cases of wine with luggage tags to be delivered to their cabins. (From and HD on board at a focus group and it was FLL that was pinpointed as the problem).

the more people refuse to carry it on, the faster the soda/water policy will go the way of the wine policy.

HAL asks that it be carried on. It's really not that hard.

Spot on, MT!!!

From ships services: "While we frown on it (bringing cases of non-alcoholic beverages aboard tagged as if luggage) it is permitted." When asked "why is it frowned on": "Sometimes the handlers don't see the tag" When asked "What about more than one tag, say on four sides?": "That would be great".

There are posters here, and in previous threads on the same topic, who keep insisting on non-existent rules against the tagging of pop, water, or juice cases for embarkation. They say things like "you can carry on at every port whatever you need", "it's not fair to the workers", "it's disrespectful to other passengers", "I read it on Facebook", and my favourite "if too many people do it, it won't be allowed anymore, just like with wine".

I've brought cases of bottled water and cases of soda aboard by tagging each case as a luggage item for every HAL cruise I've been on. No one ever batted an eye, much less said anything. Never once was anything broken, and always they arrived at my stateroom at the same time as my luggage. I do this because I have my preferred brands, I do not want to grocery shop in ports, I don't want to call room service every day, and I certainly don't want to lug on heavy cases myself to my stateroom as soon as I board. What I do like is to have everything sorted before boarding, like excursions, special dinners, spa appointments, AND room beverages.These beverages are strictly for in-room consumption, although I might take a bottled water on an excursion. Note that no beverages should be inside packed luggage: that actually IS a rule.

I can't speak to the motivations of these posters who post falsely, writing that it isn't allowed. It seems they want you to cruise as they do, so they post their opinions as facts. I suggest you call Ships Services as I did, and ask for yourself.

Oh right, someone is bound to say "Call Seattle three times and get three different answers". I like that one as much as "Don't do it or it won't be allowed anymore"!

From ships services: "While we frown on it (bringing cases of non-alcoholic beverages aboard tagged as if luggage) it is permitted." When asked "why is it frowned on": "Sometimes the handlers don't see the tag" When asked "What about more than one tag, say on four sides?": "That would be great".

There are posters here, and in previous threads on the same topic, who keep insisting on non-existent rules against the tagging of pop, water, or juice cases for embarkation. They say things like "you can carry on at every port whatever you need", "it's not fair to the workers", "it's disrespectful to other passengers", "I read it on Facebook", and my favourite "if too many people do it, it won't be allowed anymore, just like with wine".

I've brought cases of bottled water and cases of soda aboard by tagging each case as a luggage item for every HAL cruise I've been on. No one ever batted an eye, much less said anything. Never once was anything broken, and always they arrived at my stateroom at the same time as my luggage. I do this because I have my preferred brands, I do not want to grocery shop in ports, I don't want to call room service every day, and I certainly don't want to lug on heavy cases myself to my stateroom as soon as I board. What I do like is to have everything sorted before boarding, like excursions, special dinners, spa appointments, AND room beverages.These beverages are strictly for in-room consumption, although I might take a bottled water on an excursion. Note that no beverages should be inside packed luggage: that actually IS a rule.

I can't speak to the motivations of these posters who post falsely, writing that it isn't allowed. It seems they want you to cruise as they do, so they post their opinions as facts. I suggest you call Ships Services as I did, and ask for yourself.

Oh right, someone is bound to say "Call Seattle three times and get three different answers". I like that one as much as "Don't do it or it won't be allowed anymore"!

You really need to stop posting misleading information.

CC members can decide for themselves which they believe.

I still stand by - as do many, many others here - the fact that Seattle can give 3 different answers.

You need to stop picking on posters who give information you do not necessarily agree with. Everyone is entitled to post their own experience and researched information.

It's bad enough you reported that "HAL frowns on it" but you recommend doing it anyway.

For the OP - I suggest you go to HAL's facebook page and ask the question for yourself. As has been reported and copied many times here, the response from "Holland America Line" is that you may take onboard as much as you can carry. Slapping a luggage tag on a case of soda and water will eventually lead to the same result as the wine policy - there will be restrictions.

EDITED TO ADD..... just had a live chat with an agent at HAL who confirmed that "all beverages brought onboard have to be in your carry on luggage. You cannot check them in, so you would have to carry them on yourself".

Edited by Lizzie68

I still stand by - as do many, many others here - the fact that Seattle can give 3 different answers.

You need to stop picking on posters who give information you do not necessarily agree with. Everyone is entitled to post their own experience and researched information.

It's bad enough you reported that "HAL frowns on it" but you recommend doing it anyway.

For the OP - I suggest you go to HAL's facebook page and ask the question for yourself. As has been reported and copied many times here, the response from "Holland America Line" is that you may take onboard as much as you can carry. Slapping a luggage tag on a case of soda and water will eventually lead to the same result as the wine policy - there will be restrictions.

Exactly, Lizzie. We all paid the consequences when the liberal wine policy was eliminated. Unlike the wine policy, I have nothing to lose here (don't lug on water, soda, etc), but keep it up people and you'll no longer have this privilege either.

HAL eliminated the Cruise Log at the drop of a [emoji145]. This beverage policy could Chang overnight, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly was misleading in anything I wrote? You even write "Everyone is entitled to post their own experience and researched information".. except me? Who is picking on whom here?

Quoting rules that don't actually exist is misleading. So you were in a focus group once in the past.. who cares? I sure don't. Some random social media person posted something on Facebook back in 2014? Again, who cares. The fact remains that if a passenger wants to check in tagged cases of non alcoholic beverages at embarkation they are free to do so.

I'm baffled why you do this. You should cruise as you want, and let us do the same.

OP, just call HAL yourself and ask if you don't believe me.

Edited to add: Yes, it is true that you cannot check in any beverages inside of checked luggage. This does not change the fact that checking in tagged cases is allowed.

Edited by MaxThrusters
People are picking on me

What exactly was misleading in anything I wrote? You even write "Everyone is entitled to post their own experience and researched information".. except me? Who is picking on whom here?

Quoting rules that don't actually exist is misleading. So you were in a focus group once in the past.. who cares? I sure don't. Some random social media person posted something on Facebook back in 2014? Again, who cares. The fact remains that if a passenger wants to check in tagged cases of non alcoholic beverages at embarkation they are free to do so.

I'm baffled why you do this. You should cruise as you want, and let us do the same.

OP, just call HAL yourself and ask if you don't believe me.

Edited to add: Yes, it is true that you cannot check in any beverages inside of checked luggage. This does not change the fact that checking in tagged cases is allowed.

Actually I did call HAL.

They told me it had to be carried on.

there was no "frowning on", it was carried on.

I fail to see why anyone needs to take cases of soda/water/whatever. If I can manage 18 bottles of wine for my roll call wine tasting (and a few for personal use) with a bad elbow that couldn't be used, then managing a few bottles of water/soda/whatever should be easy.

You can pick up more soda/water/whatever your heart desires in most ports and bring it on board.

You can even find most in Europe ;)

Your choice is your choice. But don't start a thread crying that HAL is no longer letting people bring soda/water/non alcoholic beverages on board down the road.

Every person that does this sends a death knell to the policy.

I was at the focus group on board when they cancelled the wine policy and that was the overriding decision.

Individual bottles or cans must be carried aboard. Cases can be tagged for embarkation, although HAL prefers they be carried aboard. No beverages can be inside of checked luggage. Anything else is just opinion, not fact.

It's abuse: opinion

I fail to see why anyone needs to: opinion

You can pick up in ports: opinion

I already referenced all of this in my post above http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54089680&postcount=12, and this is the second thread on this I've noticed where the same people are writing opinions as if they are rules.

I've noted that these people always quote the rule about having to board carrying beverages never specifically mention the wording 'cases of beverages'. This is because it is indeed permitted to embark with cases tagged and they know it. To say otherwise would be an outright lie.

I still don't understand the point for a cruiser to deceive people about this. Could you just stop it please? Cruise the way you want, and let us do the same. Thank you

Edited by MaxThrusters

Actually I did call HAL.

They told me it had to be carried on.

there was no "frowning on", it was carried on.

I fail to see why anyone needs to take cases of soda/water/whatever. If I can manage 18 bottles of wine for my roll call wine tasting (and a few for personal use) with a bad elbow that couldn't be used, then managing a few bottles of water/soda/whatever should be easy.

You can pick up more soda/water/whatever your heart desires in most ports and bring it on board.

You can even find most in Europe ;)

Your choice is your choice. But don't start a thread crying that HAL is no longer letting people bring soda/water/non alcoholic beverages on board down the road.

Every person that does this sends a death knell to the policy.

I was at the focus group on board when they cancelled the wine policy and that was the overriding decision.

I, too, was at the Focus Group on the NA TA in' 10/13. Main focus of those in attendance was the upcoming revision to the wine policy happening in 02/14.

Those of you who weren't around: From unlimited (10 cases if you wished!) to VERY restricted. 1 bottle per pax! [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Individual bottles or cans must be carried aboard. Cases can be tagged for embarkation, although HAL prefers they be carried aboard. No beverages can be inside of checked luggage. Anything else is just opinion, not fact.

It's abuse: opinion

I fail to see why anyone needs to: opinion

You can pick up in ports: opinion

I already referenced all of this in my post above http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54089680&postcount=12, and this is the second thread on this I've noticed where the same people are writing opinions as if they are rules.

I've noted that these people always quote the rule about having to board carrying beverages never specifically mention the wording 'cases of beverages'. This is because it is indeed permitted to embark with cases tagged and they know it. To say otherwise would be an outright lie.

I still don't understand the point for a cruiser to deceive people about this. Could you just stop it please? Cruise the way you want, and let us do the same. Thank you

Your Posts on this subject have been spot on, MT!!! Thanks for providing accurate, reliable information. Your Posts are and have consistently been crystal clear to anyone who appreciates the difference between fact and opinion.

Thanks everyone for the info. I had thought of packing it in my checked luggage. Now I know I can't do that. The juice I like is grape and I know it's hard to find. A couple of packs of 5 juice boxes isn't going to add much weight to my carry on which has wheels. And, I have horrible headaches right now and sometimes caffeine helps. Coke is best. And, I'd prefer smaller tins so again it won't add much to my carry on. $2 per can is a bit much if I can bring it on my own. Thanks, again.

Thanks everyone for the info. I had thought of packing it in my checked luggage. Now I know I can't do that. The juice I like is grape and I know it's hard to find. A couple of packs of 5 juice boxes isn't going to add much weight to my carry on which has wheels. And, I have horrible headaches right now and sometimes caffeine helps. Coke is best. And, I'd prefer smaller tins so again it won't add much to my carry on. $2 per can is a bit much if I can bring it on my own. Thanks, again.

I think you are wise to put it in your carry-on. It seems that is what HAL wants. This link is to a post by Herfnerd, who quoted an answer provided by HAL on their facebook page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52103441&postcount=9