Where did you stay in Copenhagen-What were the best attributes.

We will be (husband and I) in Copenhagen next August 2016 for a post cruise stay. We will stay nights and want a clean, safe place that is easy for us to see the tourist attractions. I understand the transportation is excellent so that is a plus. In the month of August do you need air conditioning? We are used to mediterranean temperatures since we live in California, US. Any information is welcome. Virginia

We just got back from Copenhagen and did a one-night, pre-cruise stay at the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade. It's not a luxury hotel by any means, but for us it was a 5-star experience because we got more-than-value-for-money.

The rooms are similar to what you will have experienced on the cruise ship--small and spartan, but all the basics you need. The hotel and the room were spotless. The bed was comfortable. The water in the bathroom was strong and hot. The surroundings were quiet. What more could you want? But wait, there's more...

Amenities included a large breakfast buffet (for an additional 70 DKK pp), storage facilities (for a small fee) if you need to leave luggage, a business center in the lobby with 6 computers, Wi-fi, and a nice outdoor courtyard area.

The location just a few blocks from the Kongen Nytorv station was excellent. We were within walking distance of all the major city sites--Tivoli, the Little Mermaid, the palaces, Storget shopping and Nyhavn.

The staff answered my emails promptly (and in perfect English) and treated us so well once we got there. The rates vary by room level, how far in advance you book and if you want a refundable rate. We could not have been happier with the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade.

Edited by GradUT

We will be (husband and I) in Copenhagen next August 2016 for a post cruise stay. We will stay nights and want a clean, safe place that is easy for us to see the tourist attractions. I understand the transportation is excellent so that is a plus. In the month of August do you need air conditioning? We are used to mediterranean temperatures since we live in California, US. Any information is welcome. Virginia

On the topic of Copenhagen hotels and air conditioning...

You'll have to book at the ultra expensive hotels to find a place with air conditioning. And it's not that the temps in Copenhagen get so very hot, but the buildings are primarily built to retain the heat. Winter is more of a problem than is summer. So you'll want to look for a hotel in a quiet location where you'll be able to keep the windows open if the weather is warm.

Enthusiastic +1 for Nyhavn 71 for the reasons already mentioned, but it is right on the canal where the night life is quite hopping late into the night. Check with the hotel about air conditioning since I doubt I'd be able to enjoy a good night's sleep with open windows in that location. (Stayed there about 10 years ago. Can't recall anything about the weather or air conditioning or open windows/noise from that first visit.)

Two weeks ago, when we were in Copenhagen, we stayed at the Best Western City, located about three blocks from Nyhavn 71. Very good moderately priced hotel in a city that is very expensive. Not a fancy hotel. (The rooms are only stocked with two sets of towels for two occupants unless you ask for more towels. And the towels aren't super plush) There are no safes in each room, but the hotel offers the option of a flat safety deposit box for things like passports or a small locker for things like laptops. The bed is very comfortable. And the people are helpful and smiling. Large, varied and tasty breakfast included in the price. Great location for walking to many of the top tourist destinations.

We removed the down comforter from the bed and kept the window open. These steps combined with a very quiet street resulted in good nights' sleep all three nights. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We stayed at the Scandic Palace. It was pricey, but there was AC, the rooms were large to huge, even by American standards, and the breakfast was very good.

It is located at the end of the Stroget, the main pedestrian shopping zone, with easy access to a wide range of shopping and dining. The Stroget is also a straight shot up to the rest of the tourist destinations in town, so easy to get around without worrying about traffic. The hotel is also across the plaza from Tivoli Gardens, and about 2 blocks from the main train station.

We stayed on the club floor at the Marriott which is right on the river and walking distance to the gardens and a tour boat left from behind the hotel . I called in advance and the hotel made the arrangement to get us to the pier and on the way back I called them at the last minute after seeing the taxi lines at the pier and the sent a bus for us

We stayed near the City Hall Square the first night we were in Copenhagen(2 days one night) We stayed at the Square Hotel(prices vary based on availability-we paid around $230 with breakfast--which was good and plentiful)The Square Hotel was fine the room was adequate and the staff was very helpful. We had also looked at the Scandia Palace which was also centrally located. It had a/c and was in a good location. We chose The square Hotel as when we booked the hotel the The Square was cheaper. We were looking for places with A/C which were hard to find.Not sure how great the a/c was in this hotel as it said air cooled not a/c. We were also very close to Tivoli Gardens and the pedestrian shopping street. This area is very busy with cars, bikes, people but is near to some museums and not far from one of the hoho bus areas. I had friends who also stayed at the SAS Radisson which was not far from there. No a/c.

We also stayed another day and night on our return at the Wake Up Copenhagen Borgergade. This rooms in this hotel are very modern but very small and pod like. I traveled with a friend so we did not want to share a bed.

So we ended up taking a family room which was 2 rooms with a connecting door. This way we had our own room and bathroom(pod like and not very private-but fine with 2 separate ones)yet our rooms were connecting so we felt more secure. The price ended up being about the same as a shared room in another hotel. This way we had our own space but were in the same vicinity. If 2 people slept in the room I slept in it would be tight. The bed was a double or queen size and was fit between the walls so that one person would have to crawl over the other to get out. There was not a ton of places for more luggage. I was ok but maybe with things for 2 people it would be tight. I think there might have been larger rooms, but of corse they coast more. There are 2 wakeup copenhagens this one appears to be in a more convenient location.

The rooms have a/c and free wifi in the rooms. In the modern lobby there was a large room with about 6 free computers to use. Breakfast was extra and was adequate.The breakfast at The Square Hotel was more varied and had more choices. But the Wakeup's breakfast was more than adequate. We liked the area of the hotel as it was not on a busy hectic street, yet it was around the corner from the Rosenborg Castle and gardens, Amalenborg , near a 7-11 and a number of cafes. We also were very close to Nyhaven and the Netto boats. We were also very close to the other end of Strogret (pedestrian street). We felt that this area was a change from the other area and was quite convenient while making you feel you were staying in a "neighborhood" rather than in the center of town. If you wanted to go to Tivoli from here you could walk. The hotel was not far from the Kongens Nytorv St. (Metro)--says 8 min walk. Think walking to Tivoli Gardens would be like 20 min or so. Going to Nyhaven would be about 10 min. Other hotels had a/c but were further away from things. IT was around 59 F when we there(mid-June), but a number of reviewers on trip advisor complained of places being warm and stuffy. Also we did not want to end up having to keep windows open while we slept especially if we were on a low floor. I would rather have the option of having a/c and not use it than need it and not have it.

We returned last week and stayed at the Scandic Palace. It was AWFUL. Another poster has said it has air conditioning. It does not. It has an air flow system but that is different. I have posted a thorough review on TripAdvisor. You should look there for hotel recommendations and reviews. It has an extensive list of hotels you could consider along with many more comments then you will find on this forum. The location was perfect and the staff tried to be helpful but the hotel was dirty, run down, etc. Not a place I would ever recommend.

We returned last week and stayed at the Scandic Palace. It was AWFUL. Another poster has said it has air conditioning. It does not. It has an air flow system but that is different. I have posted a thorough review on TripAdvisor. You should look there for hotel recommendations and reviews. It has an extensive list of hotels you could consider along with many more comments then you will find on this forum. The location was perfect and the staff tried to be helpful but the hotel was dirty, run down, etc. Not a place I would ever recommend.

I am sorry to hear that the Scandic Palace was "awful". I had researched the various hotels and had considered this hotel because of location and decent reviews on trip advisor as well as tour books. We did not stay there as by the time we got around to booking it it was too expensive. We stayed at The Square Hotel and had a good experience. The location was across the square from the Scandic Palace. We never used the "air cooling". Our room was fine

except getting in and out of the bathtub/shower was a little scary without anything to hold on to. The bathroom was good. The room was also clean and we did not hear any outside noise which I could imagine might happen in some hotels or rooms as this area is busy and I did see some construction in some areas near the City Hall Sq. The workers at this hotel especially some of the

people at the reception desk were responsive and very helpful. We were a little closer to Tivoli than the Scandic Palace(this hotel was closer(almost right there) to the pedestrian shopping street). The WakeUp Copenhagen Borgegrade had true a/c and was very clean and at times very inexpensive.

They do charge to store luggage if needed and charge for breakfast which we did as it was very convenient and we were told that it was cheaper than trying to get a similar breakfast somewhere else. Also a great location--just different than the city hall area. but not that far away and a quieter area. Would love to go back to Copenhagen and see more of the area more of Denmark

A few years ago we stayed at a Comfort Inn, just 2 blocks from City Hall. We had enough Comfort Inn points to stay free for 2 nights. Hotel was very nice, clean, bright & handy. Had a wonderful breakfast buffet as well as a DINNER buffet, including a hot dish, all free. There is a lovely courtyard to get away as well as the Ice Bar is located in the building. A real find.

We stayed near the City Hall Square the first night we were in Copenhagen (2 days one night) We stayed at the Square Hotel (prices vary based on availability-we paid around $230 with breakfast--which was good and plentiful)The Square Hotel was fine the room was adequate and the staff was very helpful.

As noted above, we also stayed at The Square. See more details and a picture below. It's all about location, location, location. Being handy and able to walk around means so much in Copenhagen.

Price can vary. The Square and other hotels have very sophisticated computer that track and measure market demand. Prices can get higher or lower as time and bookings happen from day to day. My view? Get a booking make early. Then check back to see if any better deals come up later. Checking back every few weeks with sources such as TripAdviser, Hotels.com, etc., can be smart for getting, maybe, a better deal closer to your travel time period.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,663 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

We booked The Square because of the A/C. Every once in awhile Coppenhagen does get a severe heat wave. I don't know if the construction is still continuing I believe for a subway line in front of City Hall or if it is not complete. Either way, the construction ends before nighttime. Book with the included breakfast.

We booked The Square because of the A/C. Every once in awhile Coppenhagen does get a severe heat wave. I don't know if the construction is still continuing I believe for a subway line in front of City Hall or if it is not complete. Either way, the construction ends before nighttime. Book with the included breakfast.

We enjoyed this hotel and hope you do to. I needed to wash my jacket as it feel into the side of the road when we arrived at the hotel and was all dirty and wet. I did not want to wait for the hotel to do the laundry. The front desk guy(Dominico) sent us to this cute place about a 15 min walk away called the Laudromat Cafe. Most people were there because of the cafe. They were so helpful and and the food was great. Had breakfast and a clean jacket and met a few of the locals in what we found out was an upscale neighborhood. It was so early in the morning so we were not going to be able to do that much and actually enjoyed our experience especially since it was not planned. All thanks to the people at the front desk of The Square Hotel

We enjoyed this hotel and hope you do to. I needed to wash my jacket as it feel into the side of the road when we arrived at the hotel and was all dirty and wet. I did not want to wait for the hotel to do the laundry. The front desk guy(Dominico) sent us to this cute place about a 15 min walk away called the Laudromat Cafe. Most people were there because of the cafe. They were so helpful and and the food was great. Had breakfast and a clean jacket and met a few of the locals in what we found out was an upscale neighborhood. It was so early in the morning so we were not going to be able to do that much and actually enjoyed our experience especially since it was not planned. All thanks to the people at the front desk of The Square Hotel

I'm sorry if I wasn't distinct. Yes, we stayed here. But, when I recommended it on CC some poo-poo'd it because of the construction. I still think it's in a wonderful location, we walked everywhere, plus the price is moderate.

We stayed at Bethel Hotel right at Nyhavn precruise stay. Gear location overlooking the canal. Just steps from the netto boat tour stop and shopping and restaurants. We had a modest room. No air but there was a fan and two windows. Was comfortable for a night.

Best Western Hebron Hotel was our choice for post cruise. Excellent location too, near Tivoli. Our room faced the inner courtyard. Very pretty. Large included breakfast.

We aren't crazy about the small "wet room" showers..open to the rest of the bathroom. I'd look for an enclosed shower before I'd worry about a/c. Both of the above choices had the wet room arrangement as many older European hotels have.

Edited by eandj

We stayed at Bethel Hotel right at Nyhavn precruise stay. Gear location overlooking the canal. Just steps from the netto boat tour stop and shopping and restaurants. We had a modest room. No air but there was a fan and two windows. Was comfortable for a night.

Best Western Hebron Hotel was our choice for post cruise. Excellent location too, near Tivoli. Our room faced the inner courtyard. Very pretty. Large included breakfast.

We aren't crazy about the small "wet room" showers..open to the rest of the bathroom. I'd look for an enclosed shower before I'd worry about a/c. Both of the above choices had the wet room arrangement as many older European hotels have.

What exactly is a "wet room" shower? I'm looking at hotels for next year.

What exactly is a "wet room" shower? I'm looking at hotels for next year.

If you Google it there are pics of some modern versions. Basically the bathroom has no tub or shower enclosure. Just a corner with a drain in the floor and usually a curtain. But the water doesn't all go down the drain. Some spreads and covers more of the floor, near the sink or toilet. One of our hotels had a squeegee to pull water towards the drain afterwards. Then we just used our bath towels to wipe up and stand on. Not ideal. And we packed shower shoes with grippy soles. Still pretty slippery.

Some hotels will have a tub with a portion of glass at least by the shower head to block splashing. That's the least we want in the future. We are getting older and a fall could be disastrous. Why up those chances?:o

We just got back from Copenhagen and did a one-night, pre-cruise stay at the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade. It's not a luxury hotel by any means, but for us it was a 5-star experience because we got more-than-value-for-money.

The rooms are similar to what you will have experienced on the cruise ship--small and spartan, but all the basics you need. The hotel and the room were spotless. The bed was comfortable. The water in the bathroom was strong and hot. The surroundings were quiet. What more could you want? But wait, there's more...

Amenities included a large breakfast buffet (for an additional 70 DKK pp), storage facilities (for a small fee) if you need to leave luggage, a business center in the lobby with 6 computers, Wi-fi, and a nice outdoor courtyard area.

The location just a few blocks from the Kongen Nytorv station was excellent. We were within walking distance of all the major city sites--Tivoli, the Little Mermaid, the palaces, Storget shopping and Nyhavn.

The staff answered my emails promptly (and in perfect English) and treated us so well once we got there. The rates vary by room level, how far in advance you book and if you want a refundable rate. We could not have been happier with the Wakeup Hotel Borgergade.

Yes, but.....

Clean and spartan. We stayed one night pre-cruise and it was good value for the Money. However, there was no closet and the room is much tinier than typical cruise rooms...much smaller. Just be ready for that.

Sue

Originally Posted by GradUT View Post

Yes, but.....

Clean and spartan. We stayed one night pre-cruise and it was good value for the Money. However, there was no closet and the room is much tinier than typical cruise rooms...much smaller. Just be ready for that.

Sue

Everything said above is true. Small, clean, modern, great location, has A/C.

Also bathroom is a unit put in the room--not sure how private it is--depends on the occupants and how much privacy one needs. Frosted glass--shower has sliding rounded door that closes--felt like "beam me up Scotty" from

Star trek. The bathroom is not a separate addition to the room where you open a door and go into a room you can not see from the room. Lok at the pictures of the room on the website.

There are different size rooms depending on your budget. We were traveling as friends who did not want to share a bed so we got a family room which is basically two individual rooms with a connecting door--had the best of both worlds--2 separate rooms--2 separate bathrooms--while we felt safe that we could keep the connecting door partly open and could talk to each other and feel that we were in the same area for safety, but had the convenience of not being squished in a VERY small room, which European hotels could be. The price for us at the time was about the same as one room in a decent hotel in a central location. Much prefer the convenience of this family room. Loved the location.

So check out the other rooms and the cost. Prices for hotels in Copenhagen seemed to change daily with supply and demand.