QE2 news brief

Jim Avery

CLYDE CALL: politicians in Glasgow have called for the Scottish government to rescue the former Cunard liner from its ‘neglected’ state in Dubai and to return the vessel to the Clyde. Councillors say the ship could become a ‘magnet’ for Scottish tourism following the failure of plans to turn it into a floating hotel in the United Arab Emirates.

This quote is from a maritime trade email I am subscribed to. Who knows? This scheme has as much going for it as all the others. I would love to see QE2 back on the Clyde but all it takes is money..........

I did some minor edits to her wikipedia article and found one reference that there is a fight in Dubai between those who want to be rid of her ASAP and those who want to hold on hoping to recover their purchase price.

A very sad story here: The state of the once glorious QE2 is a tragedy...

And this analysis here: Why it's time to bring the QE2 home...

"...It has been estimated that the current value of the QE2 is around £3million. The cost to tow or transport the ship to Europe is believed to be roughly £6.4m alone, while full conversion to a hotel could be at least £180m....the current owners won't talk to anyone, claim campaigners...I once stood on the dock at Gibraltar watching the QE2 strain at its ropes like a racehorse eager to be in full gallop on the ocean waves..."

Edited by BlueRiband

QE2 is the last of her kind..The FRANCE was her sisiter! After sailing on both of those ships - Trans Atlantic, Panama Canal, World Cruises & Carib voyages -it would be a big mistake to scrap her or let her remain in Dubui. Even the UNITES STATES is being restored as a museum / conference center.. The Queen Mary is a bid hit in Long Beach California for years now.

The iron is that none of these great ships are in the Clyde...with such great history with ocean liner building for so many years. I am sure there are thousands of past passengers, crew, officers & employees of the shipbuilder that would love to one day walk QE2 decks once again.

My father fought in WW2 in the Navy - even was at Normandy on D Day. Several years ago he & I went to visit the Intrepid Museum on the Hudson River here in NYC. I cannot describe the emotions that were brought up to him....the silence was deafening...and his tears. THat same year he & my Mother went to Normandy(actually Omaha Beach) for the 50th anniversary - the sailed over on QE2!

QE2 is a beautiful ship, designed like no other..give a pride of place in her retirement. And allow those past passengers & employees and there relatives pass on the pride! Oh to see that bow cutting through the Atlantic Ocean again......dare to dream!

Although we don't have a long Cunard tradition, cultural or otherwise, it was indeed a sad and sorry sight to see the Queen Elizabeth almost 'beached' on the sandy shores of Dubai's harbour area. We saw her from the deck of Azamara Quest 6 years ago and it was literally a shock when we realised what we were looking at. It just didn't seem right - and she can't possibly be in any better condition now. It would be wonderful (albeit expensive) to 'bring her home', restore her to original condition and allow new generations to see how travel used to be done. We had a really fascinating, but too short, visit to SS Great Britain at Bristol last year. This is an excellent example of a maritime museum: I believe she was returned to the UK from the Falklands as a rusting hulk. It can be done and really hope it will be.

Edited by Runaways
Error

SO sad to see this. I broke out in tears saying farewell to her when we saw her from the QM2, having just transferred from her in Southampton. (We had boarded an E. Med Cruise on her in Civitaveccia/Rome. The afternoon we disembarked, the Queen came aboard to say her farewell.)

SO sad to see this. I broke out in tears saying farewell to her when we saw her from the QM2, having just transferred from her in Southampton. (We had boarded an E. Med Cruise on her in Civitaveccia/Rome. The afternoon we disembarked, the Queen came aboard to say her farewell.)

its not over yet!

I have just sailed QE2 once and really it was as if one sailed in a floading muserum- for me as I love ships every since- a great experience. I fear she will end up like the France - in Alang- we should not expect otherwise.

As much as she is adored and loved- she isn´t simply no longer up to today´s standards and most of the pipes, plumbing and such are now 50 years old- so to rebuilt her as a Hotel- not very possible to happen!

As floading museum- well depends- I visited the old QM in Long Beach twice and loved it - but one has to be a bit of ship buff- to appreciate such an experience! It is simply a question of value and money!

Everything has it´s time!

I

As much as she is adored and loved- she isn´t simply no longer up to today´s standards and most of the pipes, plumbing and such are now 50 years old- so to rebuilt her as a Hotel- not very possible to happen!

QUOTE]

Fitting the ship with modern services would be the least of the problems. Getting her to a new location and conversion to a modern hotel, if that would be the objective rather than a museum, would be a very costly business, as would be the complete refurbishment. Making a profit on the enterprise- unlikely.

So I must agree with you that it's not very likely to happen, however much most of us who sailed on her would like it to.

Cunard was not interested in any way after dumping her in Dubai. All the history was removed from the interior leaving an empty ship that must be in a sad state now.

Although most of us won't be around to see it, sometime in the future (30 years?) will the same controversy come up after the QM2 is sold off.

David.

Firstly if the ship was in that bad of shape she would of been given up already for scrap - its all about the $$$.

The Cunard that gave up the QE2 several years ago was really Carnival Corporation.

As we speak final plans are being made to turn the SS United States into a museum. Again the SS United States was given up but a private conservancy was created & support still grows as do donations to the ship. Most likely she'll be back in NYC or Philadelphia.

And the Queen Mary has been operating a hotel / museum in Long Beach California for many years now.

QE2 still has a special place in the British public hearts. She is of spectacular design and the last of her kind. Oh to walk her Promenade Deck again - even if she is permanently moored - I bet I'll be able to get a drink somewhere nearby on the CLYDE! - One Day!

r . Oh to walk her Promenade Deck again - even if she is permanently moored - I bet I'll be able to get a drink somewhere nearby on the CLYDE! - One Day!

Really the Clyde would not be the best location. Glasgow only gets a fraction of the tourists that London gets, so it would have a much better chance of success there.

David.

Edited by balf

Firstly if the ship was in that bad of shape she would of been given up already for scrap - its all about the $$$.

The Cunard that gave up the QE2 several years ago was really Carnival Corporation.

As we speak final plans are being made to turn the SS United States into a museum. Again the SS United States was given up but a private conservancy was created & support still grows as do donations to the ship. Most likely she'll be back in NYC or Philadelphia.

And the Queen Mary has been operating a hotel / museum in Long Beach California for many years now.

Well, Carnival spent quite I bit keeping her fit when they owned her, I believe. (although the extensive 94(?) refit was before their time.)

The Queen Mary hotel and conference center has lost money as long as it's existed. Not even Disney could figure out how to make a profit. And the quality of the rehab work still has liner fans shaking their heads (and fists) in disbelief.

As for the SS US, I seriously doubt that we'll EVER see her in any kind of service again. Never a beauty (built in the 50s, with fireproof everything and designed to convert into a troop carrier at short notice), she was fast and big, but charmless. Stripped of all her design elements and basically a hull - it's a fool's mission. I'd eat my hat (does anyone still wear a hat?) if she ever is rehabbed.

The Rotterdam IS in service as a conference center. I haven't visited her, but fans have warned me against it. (nothing more specific than I'd be disappointed)

I dearly love the QE2 and would love to see her converted and saved. I'd try to make a visit. And I really don't care if the investors make or lose money; although I'm sure they do.

Just don't assume that there are a lot of successful examples to point to.

You mean like QE in Hong Kong?

Scottish politicians seem to have lots of ideas about how to spend other people's money, but if there isn't a commercial company who can make money out of the old girl anywhere else in the world, you can rest assured it won't be viable on the Clyde as an attempt to elevate a so-so city into an attractive tourist venue.

Scottish politicians seem to have lots of ideas about how to spend other people's money, but if there isn't a commercial company who can make money out of the old girl anywhere else in the world, you can rest assured it won't be viable on the Clyde as an attempt to elevate a so-so city into an attractive tourist venue.

Where is the "Like" smilie?:D:D

Exactly, though the chances of the Scottish government stumping up to pay for such a project must be small, they've got too many bigger projects to mismanage as it is.

Dream on folks, it ain't going to happen.

David.

That's annoying! OK. Well, that's 2 so far anyway! If people are interested & Not concerned about your email address being public, please reply with it. If you would rather keep your email address private then reply anyway. I'll think of something!

Edited by JollyJackTar52

There was a petition on the UK Government website on bringing QE2 home which has been archived.

In order to start a new one, we need 5 email addresses. Happy to start this if anyone would like to PM me an email address

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "only British citizens and UK residents can create or sign a petition" if this is the petition process on the "petition.parliament.uk" web site. Just wanted to make that clear to those of us who might want to participate but are not eligible.

Regards,

John.

Well, Carnival spent quite I bit keeping her fit when they owned her, I believe. (although the extensive 94(?) refit was before their time.)

The Queen Mary hotel and conference center has lost money as long as it's existed. Not even Disney could figure out how to make a profit. And the quality of the rehab work still has liner fans shaking their heads (and fists) in disbelief.

As for the SS US, I seriously doubt that we'll EVER see her in any kind of service again. Never a beauty (built in the 50s, with fireproof everything and designed to convert into a troop carrier at short notice), she was fast and big, but charmless. Stripped of all her design elements and basically a hull - it's a fool's mission. I'd eat my hat (does anyone still wear a hat?) if she ever is rehabbed.

The Rotterdam IS in service as a conference center. I haven't visited her, but fans have warned me against it. (nothing more specific than I'd be disappointed)

I dearly love the QE2 and would love to see her converted and saved. I'd try to make a visit. And I really don't care if the investors make or lose money; although I'm sure they do.

Just don't assume that there are a lot of successful examples to point to.

Hi there, just a bit of clarification.

The Rotterdam is a hotel, conference center, tourist magnet, and dining venue. It is very popular with the Dutch and visitors alike and is always full of people.

She is glorious and features one of the most beautiful rooms every built on a ship.

Personally, I never sailed on the Queen Mary but am pleased that it has been "preserved" and I was happy to be able to visit the ship a few years ago.

I did sail on the SS Rotterdam (latterly the Rembrandt) and it was amazing that it was finally saved and rests in it's home territory. I have not visited her yet but will do shortly. Will I be disappointed - I doubt it - I am just pleased that she is still there to be visited.

It looks to me that the United States is a real "rust bucket" when I last saw her and if it has not been saved by now, after all those years in dock, there is little hope.

QE2 is of course the most recent ICON of passenger ships and it will be a terrible day if she is lost - was Dubai a sensible place for her to rest? - I don't really think so - her iconic status is somewhat Anglo American and my gut feeling is this is where she would best find a resting place - but in these economic climates I am somewhat suspect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "only British citizens and UK residents can create or sign a petition" if this is the petition process on the "petition.parliament.uk" web site. Just wanted to make that clear to those of us who might want to participate but are not eligible.

Regards,

John.

Thanks John, that is correct. Yes.

3 signatories so far. 2 more required to start.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

Regards,

John.

No you are not wrong, we haven't gone completely bonkers yet, but it's a pointless exercise anyway with a QE2 petition wallowing near the bottom of the list along with the likes of "close the Chanel Tunnel" and "ban pedicabs".

Better to look for a multi millionaire with a Cunard connection. I know one, Micky Arison.

David.