Regal Princess vs NCL Getaway for teen

ctsvcc

Yes I KNOW these are two different ships, meant for two different types of cruisers. However, Regal is $1200 cheaper ($3200 vs $4400), which isn't something to be disregarded, especially on a Christmas cruise, where you are stretching the limit on price. Just worried that 13 year old son will be bored, especially after being on the Breeze. This would be my second cruise. I like the itinerary on the Getaway better (Princess Cays, St. Thomas (already been), St. Maarten for Princess, Great Stirrup Cay, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel for NCL).

Edited by ctsvcc

Your son will probably enjoy the Getaway more. There are an infinite amount of things to keep him busy on there from water slides, to rope climbing courses, rock climbing and lots more.

The Regal Princess looks really gorgeous, they have a teen club but, there on board activities will not compare to what Getaway has to offer.

$1200 is a big savings. I say pick the Princess cruise and use the savings toward excursions. Or else look for another NCL ship like Breakaway which sails from NY.

Jonathan

Without a doubt - I recommend the Getaway. We have been on both ships. We travel with our DD10 and nephew 14. While the adults really enjoy Princess, there is just not enough to keep the kids busy.

We have also been on the Breeze twice and have it booked again for Thanksgiving. We have also done the Allure and Oasis. All the kids/young teens vote NCL Getaway, Breakaway and Epic #1 and the Breeze #2.

Without a doubt - I recommend the Getaway. We have been on both ships. We travel with our DD10 and nephew 14. While the adults really enjoy Princess, there is just not enough to keep the kids busy.

We have also been on the Breeze twice and have it booked again for Thanksgiving. We have also done the Allure and Oasis. All the kids/young teens vote NCL Getaway, Breakaway and Epic #1 and the Breeze #2.

Thanks for your input, that will really help! Just worried that the Getaway will be too crowded since we are going at Christmas... not a big fan of Freestyle Dining either. Not to mention the shocking $1200 price difference. Looking into Freedom OTS, same price as Getaway but oceanview instead of balcony.

#1TravelMom, could you please tell me what made your kids bored on Regal? My son isn't exactly the daredevil type who buys into the gimmicks like FlowRider and bumper cars that RCI and NCL throw at them but he doesn't want to be on a ship with nothing to do for a week.

Thanks.

Edited by ctsvcc

Thanks for your input, that will really help! Just worried that the Getaway will be too crowded since we are going at Christmas... not a big fan of Freestyle Dining either. Not to mention the shocking $1200 price difference. Looking into Freedom OTS, same price as Getaway but oceanview instead of balcony.

#1TravelMom, could you please tell me what made your kids bored on Regal? My son isn't exactly the daredevil type who buys into the gimmicks like FlowRider and bumper cars that RCI and NCL throw at them but he doesn't want to be on a ship with nothing to do for a week.

Thanks.

Since you put it that way, that opens this up a little better. Here are what I consider to be the biggest negatives about each line:

Regal Princess: Staterooms are tiny, as are the balconies. If you're going to have 3 in a room, do not book anything smaller than a mini-suite. Standard balconies on down do not have a separate sitting area. The three of you will be cramped and most likely unhappy in any standard room.

Getaway: Major cruise lines tend to nickle and dime you once they have you on board, but no one does it like NCL. From their $7.95 room service charge to your almost mandatory booking of specialty restaurants due to the MDR being crap, you'll have a much higher on-board spending bill on NCL than you will Princess.

Edited by Aquahound

Since you put it that way, that opens this up a little better. Here are what I consider to be the biggest negatives about each line:

Regal Princess: Staterooms are tiny, as are the balconies. If you're going to have 3 in a room, do not book anything smaller than a mini-suite. Standard balconies on down do not have a separate sitting area. The three of you will be cramped and most likely unhappy in any standard room.

Getaway: Major cruise lines tend to nickle and dime you once they have you on board, but no one does it like NCL. From their $7.95 room service charge to your almost mandatory booking of specialty restaurants due to the MDR being crap, you'll have a much higher on-board spending bill on NCL than you will Princess.

According to figures from NCL and Princess, the standard balcony cabin on NCL is 207 sq ft, while the deluxe obstructed balcony cabin on Princess is 298 sq ft (both figures include the balconies). So balcony and cabin space shouldn't be a problem on Princess! :D

According to figures from NCL and Princess, the standard balcony cabin on NCL is 207 sq ft, while the deluxe obstructed balcony cabin on Princess is 298 sq ft (both figures include the balconies). So balcony and cabin space shouldn't be a problem on Princess! :D

Yes, you are correct. I forgot about the deluxe balcony. Stay away from the regular balconies though.

My hc balcony on regal was so narrow....but that is my only complaint as a mature adult....food the best i've had in several years on a ship....there will be a lot of other kids that week to keep yours company.....I would not pay so much more for the frills....if there is a pool and a basketball court and a place for them to"hang" what more do they really need...take then on a catamaran in stt to see turtles or para -s ailing at sapphire beach (used to be there).....I would use the extra for experiences. ...

Christmas cruises can be a mixed bag in terms of weather. Last one we took, the weather was chilly and rainy until we got South of Puerto Rico. So I'm wondering if you all might be better off on a Southern Caribbean cruise that time of year?

I would like to, but the only one that fits my schedule is the Carnival Sunshine :(

My hc balcony on regal was so narrow....but that is my only complaint as a mature adult....food the best i've had in several years on a ship....there will be a lot of other kids that week to keep yours company.....I would not pay so much more for the frills....if there is a pool and a basketball court and a place for them to"hang" what more do they really need...take then on a catamaran in stt to see turtles or para -s ailing at sapphire beach (used to be there).....I would use the extra for experiences

You're probably right! Leaning towards Regal currently...

My hc balcony on regal was so narrow....but that is my only complaint as a mature adult...

That is very true. Regal was my least favorite of all balconies I've had.

ry%3D480

Although, from what I've seen, Getaway's are just as bad.

They do look about the same.....really narrow.....we had to turn the chairs to use them.....and had an hc cabin....not sure a wc could have been used if I had needed that....but loved how elegant she is and the enormous buffet area and outdoor seating was awesome....

The Getaway has a ton of things for kids:

5 major water slides - exciting enough for adults

Ropes course

rock climbing

Spider climb

bungee trampoline

bowling

3-D movies

The kids clubs are great!

An absolutely massive and incredible buffet with hand scooped ice cream. On our Getaway cruise I met a 9 year old who knew the entire buffet by heart and told me in great detail what was best on Day 3 of the cruise. Certainly the buffet made an impression on him.

Kids also like the Cuban food at Flamingo Grill, Teppanyaki (specialty restaurant), the magic show at the Illusionarium, Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde.

I would also think, if he's in a growth spurt, your son would LOVE Moderno and Shanghai's Noodle Bar.

In Jamaica, you can go tubing on the White River or do a combo of zipline/tubing.

For Cozumel, you can DIY to Playa Mia which has twin twister slides and a floating park plus snorkeling the underwater Mayan ruins and it is all inclusive for the day. It's just a quick cab ride away.

Grand Cayman is all about Stingray City.

If you decide to do Princess, then my advice is to get off of St. Thomas and go to St. John for the day - much more enjoyable.

Looking into Freedom OTS, same price as Getaway but oceanview instead of balcony.

This would be my recommendation for you. I would cruise Freedom of the Seas over both the Regal and Getaway. Regal cabins are too cramped for my taste, even the deluxe balconies, and NCL service is the worst in the industry.

This would be my recommendation for you. I would cruise Freedom of the Seas over both the Regal and Getaway. Regal cabins are too cramped for my taste, even the deluxe balconies, and NCL service is the worst in the industry.

Yes but I can only afford an oceanview cabin, which are REALLY cramped.

Notice anything different about my signature? :D Travelzoo had a HAL-wide on sale for Christmas and NYE, it turned out only to be $2600 for 3 people (the third person was free) and I got $50 onboard credit to sweeten the deal. Perfect itinerary (HMC, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and my favorite, Key West!), not to mention a great ship with world-class dining and service. When I come to think of it, RCI, NCL and Carnival don't really have that much to offer over HAL to teens, beside gimmicks like FlowRider and ice skating rinks to reel them in, only to do it once during the cruise. And I'm quite sure my teen would rather have a better itinerary, food, service and a balcony over a zipline. Plus I get to say to my friends "Hey, I'm going on/was on that ship!" whenever the Eurodam regularly visits my city in the fall (Charlottetown, PEI)! Never thought I would cruise HAL (especially when I see all the 55+ cruisers with their white shoes invading our city) but I doubt that will be the case on our cruise, being at Christmas with a Caribbean itinerary when the older crowd don't usually cruise (no offense to any 55+). Well thanks for all your input guys... and I wish you all the best, wherever you're cruise might take you :)

• 2 months later...

Ended up cancelling the Eurodam and got a good deal on a oversized wraparound aft balcony room on RCI Freedom (practically a JS without the walk-in closet and bathtub

). Only lost deposit, room was 4500 + 600 OBC, so it wasn't THAT bad, considering you are pretty much getting a JS. Also I don't have to drive to Port Everglades from Orlando, just to PC! I have no clue how I got that room because there are dozens of posts on CC about 1400/1700 and praising it to the ninth degree. Great itinerary too (Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)! So pretty much overall I am very happy with my decision and many thanks to everyone for their helpful advice :D

Thanks.

The specialty dining package on NCL is the best at sea if it's being offered..have been on both, and no doubt the Getaway is much better for teens than Princess, which tends to be more mature age wise ( average age is 48 on Princess, 42 NCL)..I'm a cruise agent, just went on the Regal in April & loved it, but the Getaway has more for families & kids..PLUS he would love the Illusionarium dinner show, which cost a little $$, but worth it...kids ( especially boys) love magic..ropes course, slides galore, teen club ( plenty of girls, if he's at that stage already)...Freedom is a great ship, sailed this class 3x, but still prefer the Getaway over all..I know it's the most $$, but you asked..I love Teppanyaki ( Japanese hibachi) & your son would love the cooking right at the table..also O'Sheehan's Irish Pub is 24/7 with FREE food ( fish & chips, wings, ribs, all A+!!)..also love Moderno's Brazilian steakhouse & Cagney's & Le Bistro ( French) are all included in the NCL dining promotion....any questions let me , been on the ships you mentioned...

Big Al

Ended up cancelling the Eurodam and got a good deal on a oversized wraparound aft balcony room on RCI Freedom (practically a JS without the walk-in closet and bathtub
). Only lost deposit, room was 4500 + 600 OBC, so it wasn't THAT bad, considering you are pretty much getting a JS. Also I don't have to drive to Port Everglades from Orlando, just to PC! I have no clue how I got that room because there are dozens of posts on CC about 1400/1700 and praising it to the ninth degree. Great itinerary too (Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)! So pretty much overall I am very happy with my decision and many thanks to everyone for their helpful advice :D

Just saw you picked this D1 aft cabin..great choice! I have had a JS aft twice & they are great...if you need any suggestions for what to do in each port, let us know..I have been to all but Falmouth 7+ times...

Big Al

You have a great itinerary. We cruised on Freedom in April 2015 and loved the ship. I think you will enjoy everything about the cruise. A Christmas cruise is on my bucket list of things to do someday. Your son will definitely have plenty to do on the Freedom. I have to say it is one of my favorites.