My first cruise ship.

deborahjo

Around 1955, on the S.S. Nuevo Dominicano. It was actually a freighter that carried about 50 passengers. My brother and I and my grandparents shared a room with four bunk beds, with the bathroom down the hall. It "cruised" from Miami to Nassau. I say "cruised" because the ship broke down on the way to Nassau and again on the way back, and sunk about three years after this cruise.

We could go anywhere we wanted, including the bridge and the engine room. It was a blast.

My next cruise was not until 1983 on the Sitmar Fairwind, and we have been cruising ever since, the next one being on the Dream in April.

This is the Carnivale. I sailed her on my first cruise December of 1978. I was just 21 years old. Where I started loving cruising.

What ship and when did you start your love of cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Mardi Gras before she left the fleet in 1993.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 RCCL Nordic Prince, I was a freshman in HS and it was a 2 week cruise with 3 of the 8 ports being Guadaloupe, Caracas Venezuela and Port au Prince Haiti - don't see ships going these places anymore.

Sailed the Mardi Gras in 1986 and NCL Sunward in 1987. Ships seemed so big back then :)

1980 - cruised on the Carnivale & then a few months later, joined the crew as a "Gift Shop Girl."

That picture brought back great memories - I later worked aboard the Mardi Gras & the Festivale - but there is a very special place in my heart for the Carnivale.

July 1980 - on the Carnivale & then one month later I joined the crew as a "Gift Shop Girl" Wonderful, wonderful times.

I later worked aboard the Mardi Gras & the Festivale, but the Carnivale will always hold a special place in my heart.

Seeing the picture made me tear up a little!!

Carnival Fascination (just called Fascination at the time) 2005.

Funny how that class of ships were considered "mega cruise ships" when they were build in the 90's and now are the smallest in the fleet.

Glad to be going back on a Fantasy-class ship this spring - haven't been on one since the Evolution of Fun upgrades.

Carnival Fascination (just called the Fascination back then) 2005.

Funny how those Fantasy-class ships where the "mega cruise ships" when they were build in the 90's and now are the smallest in the fleet.

Looking forward to going on a cruise again on a Fantasy-class ship this spring - I haven't been on one since the Evolution of Fun upgrades.

The Carnivale in 1980. Just a month later, I joined the ship as a crewmember - I was a "Gift Shop Girl"

I later worked on the Mardi Gras & the Festivale, but the Carnivale will always hold a special place in my heart.

Wanted to cruise to Alaska for years but, DW was a little bit (LOT) afraid of the thought of being cold and out in the deep with no land in sight. Eldest son cruises each year for their anniversary so our first grandson got us on a Caribbean Cruise when he was 14 months old (Babysitting). Carnival Conquest 2011, been on 8 more Carnival and 1 Princess cruise since, all Caribbean. Finally getting Alaska on the Legend with 8 more family members in 91 more days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums