My first cruise ship.

deborahjo

Mine was Carnival Inspiration in Sept 2003 on a 7 day out of Tampa. I remember the ports were Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I was hooked on cruising right away and I have done one cruise a year. I wish I could cruise more often. One of these days I hope to sail on Inspiration again.:cool:

Dolphin IV - January 1993. It was a 3-night cruise and the last part of our honeymoon. I remember it was very relaxing, the lobster and croissants were wonderful, and we had a excursion to a lovely private island (Blue Lagoon Island, it was called). It was a great end to our honeymoon. For various reasons, we haven't booked another cruise until now, but we are definitely looking forward to it. It's been so long, it almost feels like another first-time cruise.

Carnivale was my second cruise back in 1982. It was a 7 day Senior Class graduating class cruise with several chaperones. It was most interesting.

Kind of interesting how she remained in active service albeit not with Carnival into this century before being sent to the breakers. While other ships of the same vintage succumbed many years previously

My actual first cruise was on the NCL Sunward II the year before in 1981.

32940728756_7d134e84c9_z.jpg1st cruise by , on Flickr

This was taken from the deck of the Bahama Star as we were leaving Nassau, heading to Miami for a shopping trip. We used the ships like a ferry. We left the film in Miami with my cousins and they mailed it back to us in Nassau. This is where the pier is built now, the metal roofed building is where you would buy your tickets. The man in the checked shirt waving is my uncle, the woman next to him was his girlfriend. When the cruise ships weren't docked there (the Bahama Star and the Yarmouth Castle were the 2 that sailed from Nassau to Miami) there would be boats from other islands that would come in and dock there to sell fish, conch, and produce. Some were just hollowed out trees with another tree stuck in for a mast - and they would sail from other islands, some as far away as Haiti. It was an interesting and fun place to grow up.

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

May 1983 Royal Caribbean's Song Of America. The ships twenty fourth sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. There were one hundred singles on that weeks sailing. Eighty five woman and fifteen single men. I was never so popular in my entire life. That trip hooked me on cruising. Cruise number 35 coming up on Holland America's Zuiderdam Baltic sailing from Copenhagen in June 2017.

Summer 1980 Epirotiki Appollon II....Greece, Jerusalem, Cairo, Age 20. Oh my..another time another world. Tiny inside cabin but time of my life that Spring studying in France and traveling that Summer. She was only about 5000 tons and originally an Irish Commuter ship. But we had white glove service in dining room and remember my first caviar. She went down in late 80's I think in a typhoon under another name. ApollonXI01.jpg

g-travel-cruise%20ship-apollon%20II-pool-001-1978.jpg

Picture's found on internet search just now...above credit to www.dcchamberlainarchietct.com

Edited by sjn911

Summer 1980 Epirotiki Appollon II....Greece, Jerusalem, Cairo, Age 20. Oh my..another time another world. Tiny inside cabin but time of my life that Spring studying in France and traveling that Summer. She was only about 5000 tons and originally an Irish Commuter ship. But we had white glove service in dining room and remember my first caviar. She went down in late 80's I think in a typhoon under another name. ApollonXI01.jpg

g-travel-cruise%20ship-apollon%20II-pool-001-1978.jpg

Picture's found on internet search just now...above credit to www.dcchamberlainarchietct.com

PS top picture may be Orpheus but similar...slightly larger than Apollon II

I just found a main lounge pic,,,,credit to www.ssmaritime.com....I so remember this room.Apollon-II-Phoebus-Lounge.jpg

Dining room...ApollonXI03.jpgThanks to http://www.simplonpc.uk.com

Edited by sjn911
added photos