Pool chair hogs

rabin1

Hello

This is another one of my questions because I have never been on Azamara.

As I have said before I am Diamond Plus on RCCL. I do know it is a HUGE problem with chair hogs on all of their ships.

My questions are these..Does this happen as much on Azamara? Is it always easy to get a lounger by the pool? Do the pool attendants enforce the rule of no one on the chairs for some time they remove the items left?

I can for sure understand getting up to go have lunch for a half hour or so but not leaving towels etc on a lounger for hours.

Please let me know and as always thanks for your kindness and help

Kathy

Very very rarely seen on Azamara and I am sure if it was happening a word to a member of staff would have it addressed. I think on Azamara the chair:guest ratio is probably better and Azamara tends to attract a more rule compliant clientele. Our past trip on Celebrity we gave up with the on deck chair hogs and lived on our balcony

I spend much more time around the pool than I used to and have not had an issue with chair hogs. There are plenty of loungers around there and also on deck 11. That's my preferred spot on a hot weather cruise because usually there is a bit more of a breeze being more open. One of the bar servers will be assigned to that area to take drinks orders and bring round cold water and refreshments.

Apparently this is a problem on some mass-market lines, not just RCL but, as I understand, also on Princess. I have not seen this on Azamara, and I think it is because the ships are smaller and the ratio of loungers per passenger is much higher than on the mass market lines. Simply put, I think there are just more chairs. Add to that the polite nature of the average AZ passenger...yes I do enjoy my fellow PAX on AZ. Can't say that for some of the other lines I have traveled.

I spend much more time around the pool than I used to and have not had an issue with chair hogs. There are plenty of loungers around there and also on deck 11. That's my preferred spot on a hot weather cruise because usually there is a bit more of a breeze being more open. One of the bar servers will be assigned to that area to take drinks orders and bring round cold water and refreshments.

Phil,

Don't think I've ever been on Deck 11. Will hopefully rectify that in May

Hello

This is another one of my questions because I have never been on Azamara.

As I have said before I am Diamond Plus on RCCL. I do know it is a HUGE problem with chair hogs on all of their ships.

My questions are these..Does this happen as much on Azamara? Is it always easy to get a lounger by the pool? Do the pool attendants enforce the rule of no one on the chairs for some time they remove the items left?

I can for sure understand getting up to go have lunch for a half hour or so but not leaving towels etc on a lounger for hours.

Please let me know and as always thanks for your kindness and help

Kathy

I was also going to say that it's very easy to engage with the Pool Butlers and bar servers. If you have any concerns then speak to any of them. I honestly don't think you'll have an issue though.

I have definitely seen it on my last 3 Azamara cruises - people rotating between the sun and the shade by reserving lounges with towels / clothes etc. Staff do nothing when this issue is raised with them. If it wasn't a problem it would not be regularly raised in the daily paper. Very selfish.

I have definitely seen it on my last 3 Azamara cruises - people rotating between the sun and the shade by reserving lounges with towels / clothes etc. Staff do nothing when this issue is raised with them. If it wasn't a problem it would not be regularly raised in the daily paper. Very selfish.

I agree it is sefish. If staff do nothing, (I have not seen that but maybe some of the pool butlers are new) look out for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper who parades the decks from time to time as he is responsible for the public space and raise the matter with them - or if it is a pressing issue ask for them to be called. They will come!

Yes, I've seen this, too. Selfish it is.

We've not experienced lounge hogs around the pool. However, we have experienced chair hogs in The Library.

On our most recent cruise, there was a three-some that had the same 4 chairs everyday day in the same spot in The Library. All day. A 4th chair was required as one person had a leg issue I believe. One of the group would stay as the others went off somewhere. Some fellow guests were becoming quite agitated.

Now that is a new one on me. However rather than getting agitated, if it meant I could not get a seat I would politely go up and say "excuse me but can I take this chair" - assuming it was one I could move - and take it over to another part of the room.

Again though if it was an all cruise big issue and I could not solve it I would mention it to an officer at an appropriate time as "feedback on a little problem that has arisen this cruise"

Now that is a new one on me. However rather than getting agitated, if it meant I could not get a seat I would politely go up and say "excuse me but can I take this chair" - assuming it was one I could move - and take it over to another part of the room.

Again though if it was an all cruise big issue and I could not solve it I would mention it to an officer at an appropriate time as "feedback on a little problem that has arisen this cruise"

I totally agree. It's not something you need to get agitated about, but rather deal with it yourself in a polite manner or go and see someone if it becomes a problem.

• 1 month later...
We've not experienced lounge hogs around the pool. However, we have experienced chair hogs in The Library.

On our most recent cruise, there was a three-some that had the same 4 chairs everyday day in the same spot in The Library. All day. A 4th chair was required as one person had a leg issue I believe. One of the group would stay as the others went off somewhere. Some fellow guests were becoming quite agitated.

If they are actually sitting in the chairs how is that hogging?

There were 3 people taking up 4 chairs. The 4 chairs were not always sat in/used. They were being "saved". One of the 3 users would stay and "save" the 4 chairs while the other 2 went off somewhere. Everyday. All day and night.

We found it amusing to watch. Other passengers, not so much. The Library has become a very popular space and on our cruise, seating was at a premium at times.

And even if the seats were being used, I think that one definition of "hogging" would be keeping a limited resource (eg Library or pool chairs) to oneself and not allowing others to partake.....It's pretty selfish....