News From Noordam - Pacific Coastal

Crew News

Sounds like you had the SBP on the last leg. If so, can you tell us what wines you could get in the MDR and PG that were included? We will have the pkg and while the drinks sound good, we are a little concerned about the wine options.

Am really enjoying your posts - thx so much!

Our SBP with Explore4 used the following bar menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

I have scanned the new PG menu and wine menu and hope to post it on my website this week, There are NO wines by the glass on the wine menu that are less than the SBP limit of $7. Since I don't drink alcoholic beverages, I stocked up on Perrier water and Diet Coke.

Your 'coastal' sounds like a total joke...

Except for some rough seas, we enjoyed the camaraderie of our fellow CC members and the wonderful crew of the Noordam. The comedian in the Show Room was great with some truly hilarious jokes.

All ports have free wifi. Just ask a crew member. I use the mobile hotspot on my ATT phone for internet in port. Cell phones work fine in Alaska populated areas.
Another vote for having ATT data in Alaskan ports. Make my trip so much more enjoyable and extended my cruise internet package.

Thank you Cruise news.

Will you be doing any shore excursions if so who will you recommend for Whale watching in Juneau Harv's are booked up for our day!

vin

All ports have free wifi. Just ask a crew member. I use the mobile hotspot on my ATT phone for internet in port. Cell phones work fine in Alaska populated areas.

Thank you Crew News i hope you are having an amazing trip, I am really enjoying your updates. Just 5 weeks or so for us :)

So true - the crew ALWAYS know the free wifi hotspots. Last week I asked the port shopping ambassador and he directed me into town (5 -6 blocks away) to a Tim Hortons. Standing 20 feet away were two crew members at the gangway and they told me to just go into the terminal (200 feet away) - good and free hotspot !

I hope you are enjoying your cruise. Apoligies Crew news for the spelling mistake above. Do the ports have free wifi in Skagway or Ketchikan? or places nearby. We are going to try and be gadget free for most of the cruise. But my father is not well. Hence need to send a quick message to him on port days.

Thank you.

vin

In Ketchikan there is free wifi in the small shopping mall at the end of the main pier (just before you get to the small river). Again, just follow the crew.

So true - the crew ALWAYS know the free wifi hotspots. Last week I asked the port shopping ambassador and he directed me into town (5 -6 blocks away) to a Tim Hortons. Standing 20 feet away were two crew members at the gangway and they told me to just go into the terminal (200 feet away) - good and free hotspot !

Thanks DaveOKC,

We are travelling from Uk so we will not have USA sims to use hotspots? I am presuming that hotspots are different from wifi?

Vin

Thanks DaveOKC,

We are travelling from Uk so we will not have USA sims to use hotspots? I am presuming that hotspots are different from wifi?

Yes they are different... "Hotspots" are portable wifi devices that use cellular data to provide internet. It's like enabling the hotspot feature in your smartphone so your tablet or laptop can connect to the Internet.

Public wifi does NOT require a SIM card. Some wifi is free, while other has a charge.

Yes they are different... "Hotspots" are portable wifi devices that use cellular data to provide internet. It's like enabling the hotspot feature in your smartphone so your tablet or laptop can connect to the Internet.

Public wifi does NOT require a SIM card. Some wifi is free, while other has a charge.

thanks xixo.

That is what i wanted to find out is there public wifi in ports?

vin

thanks xixo.

That is what i wanted to find out is there public wifi in ports?

vin

Most ports have wifi - some free, some require a purchase (like a cup of coffee/tea) to get the password.

Best bet - ask a crew member on the gangway as you depart the ship as to where the best wifi is - they always know as they keep in touch with home that way.

Edited by DaveOKC

Most ports have wifi - some free, some require a purchase (like a cup of coffee/tea) to get the password.

Best bet - ask a crew member on the gangway as you depart the ship as to where the best wifi is - they always know as they keep in touch with home that way.

Thank you DaveOKC. Thats brilliant tip. :)

Slowly catching up with CC...

Embarkation is San Diego was very fast and easy. Our Park 'n Fly Shuttle was able to enter and drop us off inside the gates (in the past, drop-offs were at the street and we had to negotiate our own luggage until we got inside the gates... major PIA) around 11am. There was a table for wine check-in right after security but they only took our cabin number, no sticker or mark of any kind on the bottles. Our check-in was very quick and we were on the ship and to our cabin in no time at all.

We went to the Mariners Embarkation lunch in the dining room ad then I went back to the cabin to start unpacking. Luggage was delivered one by one... but one of mine did not arrive. I was thinking it might have ended up in the naughty room, so I went to the front desk and innocently told them I was missing a piece of luggage, while trying to peek around to see if alot of luggage was behind the desk (I don't actually know where the "naughty room" is). She informed me that luggage was still being delivered.

I can't remember when it actually arrived but it was before dinner (early seating). The first thing I noticed was that it had a yellow #3 disembarkation tag on it. I was thinking, no wonder it was late... somehow someone put a disembarkation tag on it! Then I saw writing on it: "Power Strip." The power strip was not taken (my luggage can't be opened, it's hard-sided with no zippers and the locks are built-in, not TSA), and I ended up not using/needing the power strip this trip.

So yes, the luggage is xrayed.

Edited by dobiemom

Slowly catching up with CC...

Embarkation is San Diego was very fast and easy. Our Park 'n Fly Shuttle was able to enter and drop us off inside the gates (in the past, drop-offs were at the street and we had to negotiate our own luggage until we got inside the gates... major PIA) around 11am. There was a table for wine check-in right after security but they only took our cabin number, no sticker or mark of any kind on the bottles. Our check-in was very quick and we were on the ship and to our cabin in no time at all.

We went to the Mariners Embarkation lunch in the dining room ad then I went back to the cabin to start unpacking. Luggage was delivered one by one... but one of mine did not arrive. I was thinking it might have ended up in the naughty room, so I went to the front desk and innocently told them I was missing a piece of luggage, while trying to peek around to see if alot of luggage was behind the desk (I don't actually know where the "naughty room" is). She informed me that luggage was still being delivered.

I can't remember when it actually arrived but it was before dinner (early seating). The first thing I noticed was that it had a yellow #3 disembarkation tag on it. I was thinking, no wonder it was late... somehow someone put a disembarkation tag on it! Then I saw writing on it: "Power Strip." The power strip was not taken (my luggage can't be opened, it's hard-sided with no zippers and the locks are built-in, not TSA), and I ended up not using/needing the power strip this trip.

So yes, the luggage is xrayed.

Thanks Dobiemom

Is there a restriction to carry a power strip on board in Holland america ships?

vin

Is there a restriction to carry a power strip on board in Holland america ships?

vin

You are allowed to use a power strip so long as it does not have a surge protector.

HAL can't know which is which without checking. (sometimes they do; sometimes they don't.)