Hurricane Jose Diverts Regal Princess

kiwi sailor

We were in E701 for 28 days and loved it. The obstruction is a pull down bed that is hidden in the ceiling that would obstruct the balcony door if bed down. Close to stairs and we walked down to dinner in one minute every night. Also close to elite/platinum party too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently aboard the Regal Princess on the Trans-Atlantic crossing. The Captain announced this morning that we will now not be calling at Boston and Newport as we will be taking a more southerly direction to avoid Hurricane Jose. At present we have very calm seas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How are the seas? Jose is pretty big! Are the plans still to head to New York for Saturday?

How are the seas? Jose is pretty big! Are the plans still to head to New York for Saturday?

Seas are a little rougher today. Weather is alternating between sunshine and dark clouds.

Day before yesterday captain announced we were heading to NY to possibly arrive there Friday instead of Saturday to avoid rough seas. Sounds like plan is that those who wish can disembark Friday and those who wish can stay on board and disembark Saturday as planned. He said updates would follow as we got closer .... no updates yet. Our Saturday disembarking tour of NY and transfer to airport still shows up on cruise planner. LOL our biggest problem is our tv seems to have died... need to do something about that since it is only Wednesday morning.

Seas are a little rougher today. Weather is alternating between sunshine and dark clouds.

Day before yesterday captain announced we were heading to NY to possibly arrive there Friday instead of Saturday to avoid rough seas. Sounds like plan is that those who wish can disembark Friday and those who wish can stay on board and disembark Saturday as planned. He said updates would follow as we got closer .... no updates yet. Our Saturday disembarking tour of NY and transfer to airport still shows up on cruise planner. LOL our biggest problem is our tv seems to have died... need to do something about that since it is only Wednesday morning.

We are scheduled to go out on the Regal on Sat. afternoon. I wonder if/how this affects us? If its too rough for the Regal to come in, what happens to the outgoing? :o

We are scheduled to go out on the Regal on Sat. afternoon. I wonder if/how this affects us? If its too rough for the Regal to come in, what happens to the outgoing? :o

I called Princess this afternoon to ask that question. Their response: at this time, the Regal is scheduled to sail on Saturday afternoon with no changes to the departure time or itinerary. They will email the scheduled passengers, if that changes.

We're scheduled to fly out to NY tonight.

I called Princess this afternoon to ask that question. Their response: at this time, the Regal is scheduled to sail on Saturday afternoon with no changes to the departure time or itinerary. They will email the scheduled passengers, if that changes.

We're scheduled to fly out to NY tonight.

Saturday should be fine. Here in Boston Jose is on his way out

The Regal is definitely docking in New York a day early. She's scheduled to dock in Manhattan at 8am on Friday 22 Sept. After midnight that night she will move to her scheduled dock in Brooklyn for disembarkation on Saturday 23rd.

Seas have been excellent so far as the Captain dodged Jose but it's getting a bit bumpy tonight - Wed 20th 10pm ships time.

The Regal is definitely docking in New York a day early. She's scheduled to dock in Manhattan at 8am on Friday 22 Sept. After midnight that night she will move to her scheduled dock in Brooklyn for disembarkation on Saturday 23rd.

Seas have been excellent so far as the Captain dodged Jose but it's getting a bit bumpy tonight - Wed 20th 10pm ships time.

Thanks so much for the update, wishfulone! :)

Thank you for the information Wishfulone. Glad to hear the captain has safely guided the ship through the storm.

Had a feeling Regal might dock in Manhattan with QM2 in Brooklyn. Enjoy the rest of your voyage. Can't wait to board the Regal on Saturday.

Jonathan

Weather forecast for NYC

Friday

mostly_cloudy_day_night@2x.pngrain_ico_0@2x.png0% change of rain Mostly cloudy today with a high of 80 °F (26.7 °C) and a low of 65 °F (18.3 °C).

Saturday

partly_cloudy_day@2x.pngrain_ico_0@2x.png0% change of rain Partly cloudy today with a high of 82 °F (27.8 °C) and a low of 66 °F (18.9 °C).

Seas are much bigger today and we're rolling quite a bit. Hazardous in Horizon Court at lunch time. Wet and cloudy with high winds this afternoon. About 4pm ship's time. Have to say it wasn't anywhere near this bad when we sailed around Cape Horn :)

Can someone give me an accurate weather report for New York on Friday? TV says cloudy with showers and max 11C but the previous poster says clear skies and 23C?

Seas are much bigger today and we're rolling quite a bit. Hazardous in Horizon Court at lunch time. Wet and cloudy with high winds this afternoon. About 4pm ship's time. Have to say it wasn't anywhere near this bad when we sailed around Cape Horn :)

Can someone give me an accurate weather report for New York on Friday? TV says cloudy with showers and max 11C but the previous poster says clear skies and 23C?

Here's the current Weather Channel forecast for NYC and a local news forecast only varies by a couple of degrees but still sunny without rain.

Friday

Partly Cloudy 83° / 67°

Precip: 0%

Saturday

Sunny 86° / 70°

Precip: 0%

I've sailed in some rough seas on Royal-class ships & to me they handled the conditions well & hopefully you'll have a similar experience.

All good. Just a bit of rockin' and rollin' for a day or so. Nothing to complain about especially with a smooth and sunny entrance into the Hudson. Just docking next to the Intrepid in Manhattan so all looks good for the next cruises out of NYC. :)

Thank you one again, wishfulone, for the update. Welcome home! :)

I was on this cruise and the captain at first tried to avoid hurricane Jose but then decided to go through it to get the Regal Princess early into port for her next cruise. Our balcony room was on the 9th floor and the waves were higher than I was...not fun

I was on this cruise and the captain at first tried to avoid hurricane Jose but then decided to go through it to get the Regal Princess early into port for her next cruise. Our balcony room was on the 9th floor and the waves were higher than I was...not fun

Agree......It was bad. Our drawers were flying open in the middle of the night. We were on Baja forward and it was hard to walk, things flying around on the desk. Honestly, I thought the ship was going to break apart, all the booming and cracking. Not too sure about the captains decision.

I was on this cruise as well but just saw this topic. I've made comments about the captain else where but this here sums up a big part of what I saw as the problem with him.

Day before yesterday captain announced we were heading to NY to possibly arrive there Friday instead of Saturday to avoid rough seas. Sounds like plan is that those who wish can disembark Friday and those who wish can stay on board and disembark Saturday as planned. He said updates would follow as we got closer .... no updates yet.

Pay attention to the "no updates yet". He made just three announcements space about 36 hours apart. Between announcement number 1 (already having turned south away from Boston over 12 hours earlier, he announced we were skipping Boston and Newport) and announcement number 2 almost 36 hours later, we turned back north towards Boston (actually a track to make landfall north of Halifax - as noted by wishfulone in note 17) and then back to the south. So obviously plans changed and then changed again but the promised updates never came.

And to answer another question above, other than a refund of Boston and Newport port fees, no credits offered.

And to be clear, the decision the captain made may well have been the best one. But he did such a bad job of communicating it, it left a bad taste in my mouth. For instance, his first announcement said we were skipping Boston and Newport but was silent as to what we were doing instead (two more days at sea? alternate port? Who knew - just "updates would follow"). The first we heard about arriving NYC a day early came from other passengers who were getting it from the Passenger Services Desk. Apparently Passenger Services was told even as the captain remained publicly silent.

We where on this cruise, had a few creaks in the cabin that's all. I didn't think it was bad at all.

Sea state never got above 5 - 6.

It depends where your cabin was. Surprisingly, even on 16 aft, it was better than 11 forward. Everyone I talked to on decks high and forward said it was bad. The worse night being on the 21st. Believe me when I say we could not even walk during the night. Being forward you can feel the ship hit the swell(big boom), goes down(loud crack), followed by large movement up. I was literally airborne in bed several times and our glasses on the desk moved way over. Everyone handles it differently, but on all 17 cruises I have been on, this is by far the worst.

Plus, I think the sea did get above 5-6. At navigation lecture, it was said they were about 9 ft swells. (If that is what you mean by 5-6, not sure). Anyway, I am glad you were not affected.