Beach shoes required ?

Hi

Travelling Eastern Caribbean so... HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

Think I've read somewhere that some of the entrances to the water are rocky. Can anybody confirm or is it just a case of moving further up the beach ?

Anybody advocate neoprene beach shoes ?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Travelling Eastern Caribbean so... HMC, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

Think I've read somewhere that some of the entrances to the water are rocky. Can anybody confirm or is it just a case of moving further up the beach ?

Anybody advocate neoprene beach shoes ?

Thanks in advance

Grand Turk, at least by the cruise center is a big yes on rocky.

If I'm going to a private beach that I know is combed and clean I dont' worry too much about shoes but if I'm going to a public beach I always wear water shoes. Not so much due to rocks but you never know what you might step on in the sand. Nothing will ruin a cruise quicker than stepping on glass, a sharp shell or even a needle.

I've found the super thin no show socks work great with water shoes, you can barely see them when the shoes are on and it keeps the sand off your feet, you can't even feel it, it makes the shoes really comfortable. You don't feel the wet socks either because they are so thin and dry super fast. I can walk around all day in water shoes that way, even at the theme parks where you get wet.

I also hate wearing water shoes. I purchased some Tevas from Amazon that are very lightweight with waterproof straps. They are thong style, but have a separate strap that encircles the ankle. They stay close to the bottom of my foot in water and are comfortable enough to wear off the ship instead of carrying separate water shoes. I have even worn them to run weekend errands. Those who don't mind wearing water shoes would probably be unhappy with having their toes uncovered, but they are a great compromise for those of us who hate water shoes. They come in dozens of colors.

I purchased ours at 5 below and the boys were very glad I bought them along. I just got off the eastern 8 day glory and even walking to the beach there were twigs in the sand that folks with flip flops were not happy about. They really worked for us in and out of the water especially if sand is extra hot :)

Definitely Grand Turk. I personally did not like the beach there. I did wear water shoes so the little rocks did not bother me but there were a lot of big rocks and holes in the sand. I was afraid of twisting and ankle

Anyone who stays near the pier and Margeritaville in Grand Turk will have the same experience as the poster above. One solution is to wear water shoes, as the OP is questioning.

The other solution is to walk down the beach away from the crowds and the rocks in the water. You don't even have to go as far as Jack's Shack. There are other vendors willing to rent a cheap lounger, cook some local island chicken, and you get to enjoy a sandy bottom beach free of rocks.