Regent wont allow a family of 4 in a room

Im new to cruising but have been a world traveller and when it comes to annual family vacations we dont worry about saving a buck if there is clear value.

We are planning to embark on our first cruise and selected southern carib. People in this forum pointed at Royal Carib for their family friendly set up and I can now see why..there is so much onboard for everyone on these ships.

But, when I add up the beverage, airfare, excursions I see there is a lot that quickly adds up. SO we decided to take a look at regent.

I see they have mia to mia return in dec and package for 2 works out at 12K or something. but, they wont let me add 2 kids to reservation. The guy on phone says I will have to book 2 side by side rooms. I found this very funny - may be im ignorant and this is how regent is.

Further which, their 999 kids offer seems crazy. who wants to book 2 rooms for a family of 4 where kids are barely 9 and 1

can someone tell me if I can or cannot have 4 of us in 1 room?

While I understand where you are coming from, Regent is really more suited to adults than children. There are a few summer and Christmas cruises that cater to kids but you would find the majority of passengers to be well-traveled older adults.

When my children were younger, we looked for vacations that they would enjoy. Now we look for cruises with no (or few) children as we have "been there - done that". Regent makes some accommodation for children but, in my opinion, the ship, suites and excursions target adults. If I had children under the age of 16 (that enjoyed doing things by themselves), I would not choose Regent. Your 10 year old may want to take advantage of the "Mariners Club" (if your cruise offers this) but the 1 year old would need to be with you 24/7.

This really isn't about "value" but is about what your children will enjoy. IMO, it is not Regent (especially for the one year old that will likely to receive dirty looks if he/she cries in one of Regent's dining venues). Very few children can sit for 2-3 hours at dinner and be expected to behave. I don't feel it is fair to the child. If I were looking at a cruise with children the age of yours, I would definitely look at Disney. They are an amazing cruise line!

P.S. If Regent tells you that they cannot accommodate a family of four in a suite - they mean what they say.

Edited by Travelcat2

While I understand where you are coming from, Regent is really more suited to adults than children. There are a few summer and Christmas cruises that cater to kids but you would find the majority of passengers to be well-traveled older adults.

When my children were younger, we looked for vacations that they would enjoy. Now we look for cruises with no (or few) children as we have "been there - done that". Regent makes some accommodation for children but, in my opinion, the ship, suites and excursions target adults. If I had children under the age of 16 (that enjoyed doing things by themselves), I would not choose Regent. Your 10 year old may want to take advantage of the "Mariners Club" (if your cruise offers this) but the 1 year old would need to be with you 24/7.

This really isn't about "value" but is about what your children will enjoy. IMO, it is not Regent (especially for the one year old that will likely to receive dirty looks if he/she cries in one of Regent's dining venues). Very few children can sit for 2-3 hours at dinner and be expected to behave. I don't feel it is fair to the child. If I were looking at a cruise with children the age of yours, I would definitely look at Disney. They are an amazing cruise line!

P.S. If Regent tells you that they cannot accommodate a family of four in a suite - they mean what they say.

Got it!! So for a years we will cruise for our kids and may be once they leave the nest we can regent.

Got it!! So for a years we will cruise for our kids and may be once they leave the nest we can regent.

Not necessarily. Once your 1 year old is a bit older, both children can take advantage of the Mariner's Club. Itineraries in Alaska are, IMO, quite nice for children that are old enough to appreciate it. As long as school is not in session, you find a few other children on Regent. During the rest of the year, Regent sails 100% (or almost 100%) adults.

I'm not trying to be mean - only truthful. If you think about it, the vast majority of cruise lines cater to families. The few luxury lines cater to them when school is not in session (to the extent that they can on a small ship). Some of us only book cruises when school is in session so that we can have an adult experience.

We have sailed during Christmas once and will not do so again. There was no place for older children to go so they sat on the steps (or more specifically, ran up and down the steps and were noisy). Passengers complained constantly (note: not us - we had a suite that was far away from others). Swimming pools are very small on luxury lines. So, if even one child wants to "dive bomb" into the pool, most adults do not want to go in.

Included excursions are typically on a bus and are long -- not something that younger children would enjoy (again, there are children that can sit through long dinners and long excursions -- IMO, they are the exception .

Many Regent passengers take a break from their children (leaving them with relatives) so that they can enjoy a vacation alone.

You can certainly book a Regent cruise with your family. You would stay in one suite with one child and your wife would stay in another.

Not necessarily. Once your 1 year old is a bit older, both children can take advantage of the Mariner's Club. Itineraries in Alaska are, IMO, quite nice for children that are old enough to appreciate it. As long as school is not in session, you find a few other children on Regent. During the rest of the year, Regent sails 100% (or almost 100%) adults.

I'm not trying to be mean - only truthful. If you think about it, the vast majority of cruise lines cater to families. The few luxury lines cater to them when school is not in session (to the extent that they can on a small ship). Some of us only book cruises when school is in session so that we can have an adult experience.

We have sailed during Christmas once and will not do so again. There was no place for older children to go so they sat on the steps (or more specifically, ran up and down the steps and were noisy). Passengers complained constantly (note: not us - we had a suite that was far away from others). Swimming pools are very small on luxury lines. So, if even one child wants to "dive bomb" into the pool, most adults do not want to go in.

Included excursions are typically on a bus and are long -- not something that younger children would enjoy (again, there are children that can sit through long dinners and long excursions -- IMO, they are the exception .

Many Regent passengers take a break from their children (leaving them with relatives) so that they can enjoy a vacation alone.

You can certainly book a Regent cruise with your family. You would stay in one suite with one child and your wife would stay in another.

I don't think you are mean at all - intact what you say perfectly makes sense. When we were young we didn't like kids in many places. I think these cruises cater to a certain audience who appreciates a certain lifestyle at a certain time in their life. It has to be appreciated. I thank you for your insights [emoji106][emoji106]

:D

I don't think you are mean at all - intact what you say perfectly makes sense. When we were young we didn't like kids in many places. I think these cruises cater to a certain audience who appreciates a certain lifestyle at a certain time in their life. It has to be appreciated. I thank you for your insights [emoji106][emoji106]

Thank you for taking my posts in the way they were intended. I do think that you would love Regent -- just may want to wait until your children are a bit older. :D

Our first cruise on Regent (Radisson then) was when my boys were 12 and 17. They had a great time. We booked two cabins side by side. By that age, they were loving having their own space, and the cabin stewardess even commented on how neatly they kept their cabin. They were used to sitting at dinner in a nice restaurant and behaving appropriately.

When they were younger, we did different things, usually mountain or beach vacations, but also a couple of cruises, though they were old enough to stay in their own cabin next to ours even on their first cruise.

Our daughters were 17 and 18 when we first took them with us on a Regent cruise and frankly, I'm glad we waited until they were older. We booked three suites forward on deck 10, us on one side, kids in the middle, and their grandparents on the other side. Being an Alaska cruise, there were other kids on board, mostly a bit younger than our girls, and most were well-behaved. Not all of them, though. And it was that few that really caused problems for other cruisers.

I'm not insinuating that your kids would fall into the 'misbehaving' group, but unfortunately, when there are a few rotten kids on board, all kids seem to get painted with a broad brush. I've actually felt sorry for some of the younger kids getting hauled along on 8-10 hour excursions - you can see it in their eyes that they'd rather be anywhere else, doing anything else...

I agree with TC - I think waiting until the kids are a bit older would be easier on you, the kids, and your wallet! :D

IMO, and as other posters have advised, Regent is not a good match for a young family on their first cruise

Try out your cruising experience in a higher grade (i.e. spacious) cabin on one of the family-friendly lines (We wish Disney had been into cruise-ships when our kids and grand-kids were younger!)

We also traveled with our children w. various room configurations. I would explore the family friendly lines which may offer rooms that accommodate 4 persons [bunk beds] or 2 bedroom suites. Considering the ages of your children I think that you will find a host of other benefits on that ship...from children's activities to baby pool,etc. For the Regent pool, no diapers allowed. Also, if they have good children's facilities you & your husband may have a 'date night'. While the children are adored by most staff on the luxury lines, there are few facilities for them until they become a bit older. Your 9 yo would likely enjoy the Mariners Club activities.

Im new to cruising but have been a world traveller and when it comes to annual family vacations we dont worry about saving a buck if there is clear value.

We are planning to embark on our first cruise and selected southern carib. People in this forum pointed at Royal Carib for their family friendly set up and I can now see why..there is so much onboard for everyone on these ships.

But, when I add up the beverage, airfare, excursions I see there is a lot that quickly adds up. SO we decided to take a look at regent.

I see they have mia to mia return in dec and package for 2 works out at 12K or something. but, they wont let me add 2 kids to reservation. The guy on phone says I will have to book 2 side by side rooms. I found this very funny - may be im ignorant and this is how regent is.

Further which, their 999 kids offer seems crazy. who wants to book 2 rooms for a family of 4 where kids are barely 9 and 1

can someone tell me if I can or cannot have 4 of us in 1 room?

Children regardless of how much/little they eat/drink/whatever still count against the SOLAS max passenger capacity of the ship. So from a cruise lines point of view a child of any age being on could possibly be denying a full fare paying adult who may spend even more money once on board.

We have traveled with two teenage boys in our room - we always get a named suite, one child sleeps on the pullout sofa and the other child sleeps on the rollaway bed.

This arrangement always worked well with us - we have been on all three ships and from experience, we now know which suite works the best for us.

Having the extra 1/2 bath is a lifesaver

gnomie :)

...one child sleeps on the pullout sofa...

No intention of derailing this thread, but can you briefly tell me how comfortable you found the sofa beds? Suitable for adults?

Thank you.

-- We now return to your regularly scheduled programming --

I have travelled in the past with friends who were 2 adults and 2 small children, 18 month old and a 3 year old.

There was no issue for the family of 4 to travel in one "F" category cabin on the Mariner for a 28 day voyage. Both children slept on the pull out.

While there were several rude glances from a few passengers and a couple unfriendly comments from a couple other - for the most part it was an awesome experience.

Arrangements were made with guest services for babysitting services every night so the adults could enjoy dinner. Two of the front desk staff would arrive at the cabin every night and watch over the children for 3 hours.

The staff even pulled out a selection of toys that were left behind or available for the kids to play with.

There were absolutely no planned activities for kids so the parents were on duty at all times other than dinner time with the sitters.

As others have pointed out there are much better options on other lines when travelling with children.

No intention of derailing this thread, but can you briefly tell me how comfortable you found the sofa beds? Suitable for adults?

Thank you.

-- We now return to your regularly scheduled programming --

I will be honest - I would not want to sleep on the sofa bed for more than two nights, but then again I broke my back as a child so I am very sensitive. The boys, who on the last cruise were 14 and 16 years old, were just so excited to be on the cruise and spend quality time with their grandmother that if they were sleeping on a bed of bricks, they would not have complained. By the time bedtime rolled around, everyone was so tired we all just collapsed and fell asleep immediately.

Not sure what this is worth, but the boys really want to take a cruise with their grandmother this summer (why wouldn't they?) - when we discussed that now that they are older (and much taller!) they really need their own room with more space and proper beds. We are getting daily emails and phone calls from them as to how they would be happy to sleep on the sofa bed or the floor if necessary, so I do not believe they are good indicators of the true comfort of the sofa bed, but I do remember the mattress being much thicker than the sofa bed I have in my den and I have slept on that bed a few times and other than for my normal morning stiffness, it was acceptable for a few nights.

Hope this answers your questions -

gnomie :)

During the summer on Alaska itineraries, Regent tends to stuff families in suites. I am posting this to alert travelers that are hoping for a peaceful, luxury experience on Regent during the summer may want to rethink their decision. There have been some very disappointed passengers on Regent in the summer months due to the amount of children onboard.

IMO, sailing Alaska in May is the best time to cruise Alaska. Our second choice would be late August. During the rest of the summer, not only is Regent stuffed with passengers but there are so many huge cruise ships in port that most ports become a madhouse. Just a heads up!