Encore, pics and observations

Kevnzworld

Oh there was an interesting autocorrect -- please substitute "salads" for "lads" or I'm in big trouble!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin, your typos, sorry I mean your autocorrects, are hilarious!

Back to Ad Hoc. On Odyssey on the cruise that should not be remembered last December it seemed like the Colonnade was presenting the Ad Hoc menu every other evening. I'd assumed that was regrettably the way forward for the Colonnade but on Quest last month we only had three Ad Hoc evenings on a 14 day cruise. So it wil lbe interesting to see how often they're presented on Encore.

Edited by Isklaar

We are not big on Ad Hoc dinners and not a fan of TK's French Laundry. What other dining options do we have? Sorry we will be new to Seabourn.

The MDR (Main Dining Room), the Sushi place, the Colonnade (cafeteria for breakfast/lunch, sit down full service for dinner - at least on the Odyssey class), the patio grill, and room service. At least when I was on the TK menu was most definitely not from either FL or Bouchon (not sure Ad Hoc either). It was sadly a very much hit/miss experience for me.

Edited by Emperor Norton

Thanks Emperor Norton. I think we will stick to your suggestions. We don't want to be stuck with a fixed menu. Everything else you suggested will work for us. We are easy to please and looking forward to having Sushi at lunch or dinner. Eating alfresco will be a nice change for us as well for dinner.

I see you will be on the Serenity in a few months and look forward to your observations.

Miles

The Colonnade was a sharing menu family style on the Odyssey class ships, the MDR is more like Per Se fair and the TK Grill is what it's says it is. My understanding and Kevnzworld has confirmed it's no more on the Encore.

Personally I was not a fan of the sharing plates it was more TGi Friday than Seabourn, but that's just my opinion, I'm sure others lived it.

Edited by lovetocruz111

Assuming the Encore dining works like the existing ships, and I think it will, the Ad Hoc style is a sharing bowls/plates casual 'family' dining style, most of which was not appealing food-wise to many passengers, and is likely to be served in the Colonnade a couple or maybe more times a week. There are no choices on this menu. The TK grill dining has settled down to a menu which is the same every night, but with quite a few choices on each course. The china etc. used in the two styles is very different. And again the food seemed to be a bit hit and miss. There have been, up to now, also a small insert in the MDR menu with TK dishes; I hope this will disappear and there will be more regular menu choices instead.

For breakfast and lunch in the Colonnade, Suite travels, you can absolutely choose your table, sit down, and have everything served to you if you do not want to visit the buffet. In any case, items like eggs other than scrambled, eggs benedict, pancakes etc. are on order anyway.

I hope someone on Encore will have time to clarify the choices soon.

Absolutely agree about the ribs and the other menu we had, the Ranch Rib Chop was wonderful. The cheeses at both meals were to die for.

Ad Hoc is actually a set menu/fixed price dining venue. It is casual but the set menu is the distinguishing feature. There is a menu posted for the week so you will know in advance what you will be getting that night. Yes, it is family style, but only at your table and there's plenty to share. I know there are people who would prefer to be served so Ad Hoc wouldn't work for them. I rather like it. It's interpretation in the Colonnade was very nice, and I lusted after the beautiful TK line All-Clad cookware. I also agree that the staff seemed to enjoy the change.

I also enjoyed the TK meals in The Restaurant. And the Napa Burger is absolutely the best hamburger I've ever eaten.

In the time we were on, there were two different menus in The Colonnade (each offered twice in 17 days) and the Restaurant had three different TK menus two of which were offered twice, one only once as I recall), which had a choice of dishes.

I'm a Thomas Keller fan and have enjoyed great dining experiences in his restaurants. I heard many raves about the menus, even from folks who had no idea who he was.

Ok on TK night at the Colonnade you do make a reservation and there is a set menu with no choices -- first course salad, main with side, cheese course and dessert. No ordering off any other menu and no substitutions.

Chairsin, are you on the Encore just now or telling us about TK nights on the other Seabourn ships. It is hard to believe that Encore will have TK nights in the Colonnade when they have a dedicated TK restaurant aboard.

I would love to hear from those who are enjoying, I hope, the Encore's maiden voyage.

Chairsin, are you on the Encore just now or telling us about TK nights on the other Seabourn ships. It is hard to believe that Encore will have TK nights in the Colonnade when they have a dedicated TK restaurant aboard.

I would love to hear from those who are enjoying, I hope, the Encore's maiden voyage.

What's so "hard to believe"? It's been the same concept on all the 3 O-class ships: MDR with TK menu inserts every other night; Colonnade with Ad Hoc-theme night about once a week; TK Grill (on the Quest so far, the other 2 O-class ships will get it post dry dock) as the dedicated TK restaurant; Patio Grill (TK's Napa Burger). As many have explained on here, all TK menus/venues are different and do not overlap. In fact, there has been plenty of discussions about TK on here for months. Do a search and you'll find all there is to know about this.

To add regarding this "synergy": Adam Tihany, Encore's designer, had also designed Per Se, and Brian Van Flandern, SB's cocktails designer, was also Per Se's mixologist. If TK were to extend his brand to linens, for instance, perhaps one day we'll be sleeping on TK sheets onboard SB!

Edited by sfvoyage

Did not realise Seabourn was so obsessed with TK. On our last Seabourn cruise we did not enjoy the TK offerings in the main restaurant nor their hamburgers on the patio. Nor did we enjoy his restaurant in California. We're beginning to have doubts about our very recent reservation on the Rncore if we are forced to eat TK type food everywhere.

You will not be forced to consume one bite of TK food should you chose not to. Plenty of other options will still be available.

+1

One can dine exceptionally well without consuming any TK food on board. No drama, just enjoy and savor.

Edited by sfvoyage