If you want College Football, NASCAR, choose another line!

aliciag640

Easy solution....watch "real" football. I watched the Champions League final and Leicester City clinch the Premier league title while on a cruise. ;)

Exactly. The "I didn't get to watch my team" thread always mystifies me. Who cares? You're on vacation. Try something new.

Nothing important going on in sports until Russia 2018 anyway.

I'd agree the new management is penny pinching but TV programming has changed little, if any, under the new management. It stunk before new management.

Saw the World Series on the Gem in 2011 and 2012 in the Atrium, did not see it this year at all. Rates as a big change to me.

This is not a cruise line problem. This is part of travel anywhere outside of the country. If you'd been at a resort in Belize for example it's doubtful you would get your favorite game. It's the way it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I cruise it is to get away from "IT ALL". It all includes my passion for hockey, so I leave that at the port where I get onboard. It's a vacation. If you can't go a week without a specific sport then dare I say you are probably much better suited for a staycation then a vacation.

if ncl started charging people to watch sporting events people would not be praising the added service, there would be a fifty page thread about ncl nickel and diming, ripping off their loyal customers and threats to change cruise lines.

~ insert eye roll ~

^^^ this ^^^^

When I cruise it is to get away from "IT ALL". It all includes my passion for hockey, so I leave that at the port where I get onboard. It's a vacation. If you can't go a week without a specific sport then dare I say you are probably much better suited for a staycation then a vacation.

C'mon admit it, you would try to sneak a peak at a game 7 Stanley Cup Final if you were on a cruise.;)

You're not a REAL 100% passionate hockey fan if you haven't sneaked a peak at some incredibly inappropriate time. :D

As an aside why do people insist on scheduling weddings and University graduations in June? :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

C'mon admit it, you would try to sneak a peak at a game 7 Stanley Cup Final if you were on a cruise.;)

You're not a REAL 100% passionate hockey fan if you haven't sneaked a peak at some incredibly inappropriate time. :D

As an aside why do people insist on scheduling weddings and University graduations in June? :)

I would never be on a cruise during the finals, because I would know not to schedule it at such a sports-important part of my year. :) Most of my cruises are pre-season and first month of the year. This next cruise is going to test me, being at the end of the regular season, but I will SURVIVE!

Yep. The ships don't get charged for pay per view or sports packages like you do at home. They are charged by the number of TV outlets at the location, not the number of outlets that will actually be playing the pay per view. Our ship has only 22 satellite boxes on our account, and we pay several times what a home or even a small sports bar pays for sports packaging.

Bars pay a lot of money to show NFL and pay per view on there big screens only different taxes will move you past that mark. in Europe people get to see all the blocked games we cant watch for free.

Get you a video streaming stick plug it into your laptop get the internet package and your watching the game. I know other ways around it but this is the easiest one.

This (or something similar to this) was one of our biggest problems with the last cruise we went on. We are big sports fans and were looking forward to sitting in O'Sheehans on the NCL Getaway, as they advertise it as their "sports bar" and even claim in ad's that you can "catch a game there." This however was not a "sports bar." Sure, they always had a sport on TV, but it was pointless. I believe we saw a ton of badminton (as we walked by), golf (European league) and European Soccer. With the exception of the NCAA Football National Championship and NFL football (which was on all over the ship on Sunday), there was no American Sports.

It wasn't a huge problem, but why advertise O'Sheehans as a sports bar when they cannot put on the sport you want to watch? And I'm not talking about obscure sports on obscure channels, I'm simply talking about ESPN. They really should do better with this. Everyone is on their vacation and not having to miss a sporting event (which much of America finds entertaining and relaxing) should be important to NCL.

This (or something similar to this) was one of our biggest problems with the last cruise we went on. We are big sports fans and were looking forward to sitting in O'Sheehans on the NCL Getaway, as they advertise it as their "sports bar" and even claim in ad's that you can "catch a game there." This however was not a "sports bar." Sure, they always had a sport on TV, but it was pointless. I believe we saw a ton of badminton (as we walked by), golf (European league) and European Soccer. With the exception of the NCAA Football National Championship and NFL football (which was on all over the ship on Sunday), there was no American Sports.

It wasn't a huge problem, but why advertise O'Sheehans as a sports bar when they cannot put on the sport you want to watch? And I'm not talking about obscure sports on obscure channels, I'm simply talking about ESPN. They really should do better with this. Everyone is on their vacation and not having to miss a sporting event (which much of America finds entertaining and relaxing) should be important to NCL.

You realize you are calling the number 1 sport in the world (soccer, by a LOT) obscure right? Also, the ship does not cater to just US customers, so it should not be surprising that they have sports from other countries on.

That's so weird. We were on this cruise and saw tons of people watching College football Saturday in the bar near Cagneys. Yes it was on a laptop, so what? We saw the NFL games Thanksgiving Thursday & I much prefer those over college ball. Why would NCL think anyone wants to watch amateur games anyway on international travel? They had the pro games.

Oh, and at one point I was in a elevator with a bunch of drunk guys bitching about exactly this (before they got the small screen set up) and you can tell their wives were PIIIISSED. As they got off one of the women said something to the effect of, "we are at sea, don't you want to do something other than watch football?"

You realize you are calling the number 1 sport in the world (soccer, by a LOT) obscure right? Also, the ship does not cater to just US customers, so it should not be surprising that they have sports from other countries on.

You miss the point. The point was that there were no choices. They call it a sports bar but they pick one event and put it on.

And while Soccer may be the most popular sport outside of the US, it is not the most popular sport in the US. The ship is docked in Miami, the majority of its guests are from the US or Canada. It would be wise to cater to their desires.

But again, the point to my post was that they advertise it as a sports bar and in the description for O'Sheehans it states that you can catch the game there with a beer. Nothing is farther from the truth. You will not see any different sport on there then you might catch on a TV at another bar (like I said, on Saturday they showed Playoff football on ALL the TV's at the bar.) You could not catch any NCAA basketball, any NHL hockey, and NBA basketball. It was not available at all.

in Europe people get to see all the blocked games we cant watch for free.

That isn't totally accurate. We don't suffer from blackouts as much as in the US (none on MLB.com for example), but there are still some.

For example, NFL game pass doesn't give us access to the Sunday games televised on Sky. That means you need a pricey sky subscription to see those games live.

Bars pay a lot of money to show NFL and pay per view on there big screens only different taxes will move you past that mark. in Europe people get to see all the blocked games we cant watch for free.

We live in Europe. We pay £151.50 per annum TV Licence. £71.50 per month for Satelite TV that includes sports.

Please explain how I can get this for free. I can buy a cruise with what you will save me.

No, not a rookie cruiser. Had been on NCL before, and had 4 NCL cruises booked ahead of this one, and expected to at least get ABC and CBS on the ships like other cruise lines have. However, NCL's new corporate leadership is penny pinching and only signed up for NBC, and MSNBC and what they call "channel 60" where they select what sporting events to broadcast. They did broadcast NFL on Thanksgiving day, but missed out on a big business opportunity to charge admission to watch parties on Rivarly weekend. There were hundreds of civilized college grads who would have paid big $ to watch their alma maters play on Nov 26th. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Yep, you're a rookie.

Here, here. American sports in a sports bar that departs from an American port doesn't seem like a big ask to me What's wrong with wanting to enjoy college football or basketball on vacation? For many it is a family passion or something friends enjoy together. Isn't that what vacations are about? Reading this post, I'm getting the feeling that towel folding and bingo are "sports" onboard for these posters.

They never said a sports bar where you get to pick what sports are shown. It is beyond me why anyone would enjoy watching a lame sport like college football where they pick their champion each year by a vote of people who don't even play the game, but a lot of people do like it for some stupid reason! :)

Depends on how one defines #1. Of course more people are going to play it simply because of the ease and low cost of getting into the game. You need a ball of tape and a place to run around endlessly kicking the ball back and forth. It is teh #1 most boring game in the world. While it does have a VERY few exciting moments in a 1½ hour game (waaaaaaay too long), basically it is watching one guy kick a ball all the way down the field only to watch another guy kick it back ( or run it one way and back). The skill you have to have to play, 1) run, and 2) kick a round ball. Woo Hoo!

You miss the point. The point was that there were no choices. They call it a sports bar but they pick one event and put it on.

And while Soccer may be the most popular sport outside of the US, it is not the most popular sport in the US. The ship is docked in Miami, the majority of its guests are from the US or Canada. It would be wise to cater to their desires.

But again, the point to my post was that they advertise it as a sports bar and in the description for O'Sheehans it states that you can catch the game there with a beer. Nothing is farther from the truth. You will not see any different sport on there then you might catch on a TV at another bar (like I said, on Saturday they showed Playoff football on ALL the TV's at the bar.) You could not catch any NCAA basketball, any NHL hockey, and NBA basketball. It was not available at all.

They advertise that you can catch a game. Soccer is a game (albeit a boring and lame game, but it is a game).

For me, it sounds like there was a good compromise. For those of you who love football, they showed the professional games all over on Thanksgiving, and then moved on as opposed to playing football all week, which people like me, wouldn't have enjoyed. I think that being annoyed that they didn't show both professional and college games is a little over the top. And if you had chosen to stream the game in your room or have a football themed party where you kept the score updates live, I'm sure that would have been fine. It was the 75+ drunk and screaming fans crowding around a laptop in the public areas that was the problem.

As far as being disappointed in O'Sheehans being a sports bar... Again, don't follow sports and really don't care, but we go to Buffalo Wild Wings from time to time and almost every time I'm there non-major sports are playing... poker, golf, tennis, etc. So, not entirely sure why O'Sheenhans playing soccer was so disappointing to you, other than your specific team's game not being played. Sorry, public space trying to appeal to a broad and international range of people; most of who probably have no interest in that one game you wanted to watch.