dollars

griffster

hi everyone.

my hubby and i have booked P/O AZURA next dec 2017 to the caribbean, and we was wondering when would be the best time to purchase our foreign currency. i would be most gratefull for any replys.we have never been to the caribbean, or anywhere that far before, in fact it will be only our second cruise. think we have the bug!!!!! thanks. lynn

If I was buying dollars for next December I would buy them about now!. That is because in my opinion the Pound will fall in value as the 'difficulties' of the brexit negotiations make themselves felt. ;)

Maybe even down to below parity with the dollar :eek:

hi everyone.

my hubby and i have booked P/O AZURA next dec 2017 to the caribbean, and we was wondering when would be the best time to purchase our foreign currency. i would be most gratefull for any replys.we have never been to the caribbean, or anywhere that far before, in fact it will be only our second cruise. think we have the bug!!!!! thanks. lynn

You will likely find that the best foreign currency for Caribbean ports is the US dollar, and in a couple of cases the Euro (Martinique) may qualify. It may also be that your GBP is useful and accepted in some of the former colonies.

Still, with the huge numbers of US visitors, the US dollar is the most widely accepted.

You will likely find that the best foreign currency for Caribbean ports is the US dollar, and in a couple of cases the Euro (Martinique) may qualify. It may also be that your GBP is useful and accepted in some of the former colonies.

Still, with the huge numbers of US visitors, the US dollar is the most widely accepted.

Just been, and they would not accept GBP.

hi everyone.

By its nature, the value of the pound is set at a point where half the financial experts think it's about right or too low, and half think it's about right or too high. And these are not the newspaper experts, but the professional bankers who actually put real money into this game. So do you trust the half that are for up, or the half that are for down? You can only guess, because they have a lot more information and they (as a group) can't tell.

If dollars are a major part of the expenditure, then you can hedge by arranging dollar payments at staggered dates - for example, if you're paying hotel bills now you buy dollars next year; if hotel bills are to be paid later, buy your dollars now. But as the cruise is presumably paid in Sterling, then the difference won't be vast either way.

Personally I would wait, a lot can happen in 13 months. The dollar is at its highest level against the pound for well over 10 years which is how long we have been cruising in the Caribbean. If the dollar weakens further prices may be trimmed back to tempt people to spend.

Personally I would wait, a lot can happen in 13 months. The dollar is at its highest level against the pound for well over 10 years which is how long we have been cruising in the Caribbean. If the dollar weakens further prices may be trimmed back to tempt people to spend.

I think you are right - there isa large tourism market from UK to America, esp New York and we will not be able to pay the prices out there at current exchange rates (or lower !!). I notice with our Caribbean Cruise in March that the P&O excursions in £ are quite good value against the local operators charging in $ - I guess they must have bought them some time in the past pre-brexit.

Edited by bee-ess

unless you are thinking of buying thousands of pounds worth then don't worry. You will have spent several thousand on the cruise and a few dollars extra is not worth worrying about

I totally agree with this statement.

Unless you're going to buy masses I simply would not worry about the difference of a few pounds!

The official currency of the British (not US) Virgin Islands is....

(drum roll)... can I have the envelope please.....

The US dollar!

• 2 weeks later...

I would not worry about it. The pound may go up or down, as could the dollar.

So much could happen over the next year. Britain has it's problems and we will have to wait and see what Mr Trump does in the States.