Leaving Ruby Princess in Hawaii

gunnywife

On our Ruby Princess cruise to and from Hawaii I fell on a tour in Kawaii, fractured my ankle that required surgery in Hawaii. The crew on the Ruby were very helpful to my husband with the paperwork, packing and debarking of the ship to the hospital where I was for my surgery. They repeatedly checked on us while in Hawaii. It was much appreciated.

Also, I would definitely tell all cruise travelers to purchase insurance. The insurance company we had were extremely helpful and paid us promptly with no problems.

Princess really came through to us when we needed them and I won't forget it.

Lynn

Thanks 'gunnywife' for sharing your experience & hopefully you'll soon be fully recovered from your unfortunate accident.

It's a good reminder about the potential risks passengers take without medical insurance and it's nice to read positive comments about when something goes wrong.

We purchased our insurance, as we always do, through our TA. I think there are different levels of insurance and of course different companies. We're very fortunate that our TA is careful about coverage. I would tell you the name of the company, but I don't think that's allowed on this website. Just be sure to check with your TA or cruise line about the insurance you purchase.

SassyRedHat: We thoroughly enjoyed our Hawaiian cruise on the Ruby (this was our second 15 day cruise to Hawaii). The crew was great, the food was good and as I said before Princess took good care of my 80 yr old husband in getting packed and off the ship. There was only about 1 hour between him getting back to the ship, packing and the ships departure.

I'm doing fine now, out of the boot, just about out of the brace, no more wheelchair, walker and only use the cane when I'm on uneven ground. We have a cruise scheduled for the end of Sept. so I have to be in fairly good form by then.

Thank you for your good wished.

Lynn

We purchased our insurance, as we always do, through our TA. I think there are different levels of insurance and of course different companies. We're very fortunate that our TA is careful about coverage. I would tell you the name of the company, but I don't think that's allowed on this website. Just be sure to check with your TA or cruise line about the insurance you purchase.

SassyRedHat: We thoroughly enjoyed our Hawaiian cruise on the Ruby (this was our second 15 day cruise to Hawaii). The crew was great, the food was good and as I said before Princess took good care of my 80 yr old husband in getting packed and off the ship. There was only about 1 hour between him getting back to the ship, packing and the ships departure.

I'm doing fine now, out of the boot, just about out of the brace, no more wheelchair, walker and only use the cane when I'm on uneven ground. We have a cruise scheduled for the end of Sept. so I have to be in fairly good form by then.

Lynn

I believe that it is TAs that you cannot name. There are numerous threads where travel insurance companies are named and discussed.

I believe that it is TAs that you cannot name. There are numerous threads where travel insurance companies are named and discussed.

Yes, it is a specific TA that can't be discussed. Many people here have recommended medjetassist specifically for insurance and others have discussed the Princess insurance which I believe is Barclay (I may be wrong).

Yes, it is a specific TA that can't be discussed. Many people here have recommended medjetassist specifically for insurance and others have discussed the Princess insurance which I believe is Barclay (I may be wrong).

Just a FYI .... I join MedJetAssist annually .... it's not an insurance plan; it's a membership and only kicks in if one is hospitalized more than 150 miles from home. It is for transportation back to one's home area to a hospital of your choosing. Thank goodness I have never had to use it!

Princess insurance is through Berkley. I have needed to make a couple of claims, both of which were paid promptly, and reimbursed me for every penny of the expenses I incurred.

Our insurance was with Allianz. We were very satisfied.

What is PVSA fine? Have no clue what that is.

Lynn

PVSA is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1866 - often mistakenly called the Jones Act which is something else.

If you sail from a US port and return to the same port you are required to stop at a near foreign port - one that is on the North American continent such as Mexico or Canada. If you sail from a US port and end up at a different US port you are required to stop at a far foreign port - one that is NOT on the North American continent such as Columbia.

If you fail to meet these "foreign port" requirements you are in violation of the PVSA and will be fined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

I expect that in case of accident/injury/illness the fine would be waived.

I don't know how that works. Perhaps the cruise insurance covers it or it may be that it's waived under extenuating circumstances. I think it's some like $250 but I could be WAY wrong on that. In the OP'S case there wasn't much that could be done. I have great sympathy for the situation but would just have to deal with it as it unfolded. The OP had no other choice. I am pleased that, while it was a bad situation, the OP seems to have made the best of things. Bad things can happen to good people. How we deal with them is up to us. I congratulate the OP on dealing with adversity in the manner described.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

We purchased our insurance, as we always do, through our TA.

We also use Allianz insurance..

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to it.

Lynn

So glad you are doing well.. :)

Patti

PVSA fines would likely be waived in emergencies. Same law handles airplanes and I know an Air Canada flight leaving Houston for Toronto would be allowed to land in Cincinnati. However, Air Canada would not be allowed to make that a regularly scheduled stop

On our Ruby Princess cruise to and from Hawaii I fell on a tour in Kawaii, fractured my ankle that required surgery in Hawaii. The crew on the Ruby were very helpful to my husband with the paperwork, packing and debarking of the ship to the hospital where I was for my surgery. They repeatedly checked on us while in Hawaii. It was much appreciated.

Also, I would definitely tell all cruise travelers to purchase insurance. The insurance company we had were extremely helpful and paid us promptly with no problems.

Princess really came through to us when we needed them and I won't forget it.

Lynn

That is good to hear. Have a speedy recovery!