HAL vs Oceania

Hflors

I saw this topic both here and in the HAL forum. We'd just booked a HAL cruise, having switched from an Oceania itinerary due to wanting to reduce the budget for this trip. But after reading that thread over there, and this one over here, and then reading all of the numerous negative reviews about the HAL ship we'd booked...and on top of that, learning about the smoking policy on HAL...we finally decided that we had to switch back.

Timing was also an issue...the HAL cruise left later in the year, and the Oceania itinerary fit the bill better time-wise...so it wasn't just the comparison that did it. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a major factor.

While the HAL cruise was less expensive than the Oceania one, I finally realized that I was going to end up making up the difference in cost just in all the extras I'd have to pay to try to bring the HAL experience anywhere near the Oceania one! I figured we'd eat in their specialty restaurant most nights, but there's a fee for that, plus an even higher fee for their special Le Cirque dinner. They charge a corkage fee just to bring wine onboard (other than one free bottle), unlike O where I can bring all I want onboard and only pay corkage if I bring it to the dining room. Soft drinks all cost money...so I'd have to buy a drink package, or get nickel-and-dimed.

I finally realized it was crazy to try to figure out all these ways to maximize the HAL cruise experience, and end up paying almost the same amount for a lesser experience overall, on an inferior ship. I started comparing photos of the ship interior, and the Riviera is just such a gorgeous ship...no comparison to the HAL ship. Our cabin will be a bit smaller, but we will have a veranda so I'm okay with it.

So I just wanted to say thanks for starting these threads! Really helped me make my final decision. And...O it is.

I saw this topic both here and in the HAL forum. We'd just booked a HAL cruise, having switched from an Oceania itinerary due to wanting to reduce the budget for this trip. But after reading that thread over there, and this one over here, and then reading all of the numerous negative reviews about the HAL ship we'd booked...and on top of that, learning about the smoking policy on HAL...we finally decided that we had to switch back.

Timing was also an issue...the HAL cruise left later in the year, and the Oceania itinerary fit the bill better time-wise...so it wasn't just the comparison that did it. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a major factor.

While the HAL cruise was less expensive than the Oceania one, I finally realized that I was going to end up making up the difference in cost just in all the extras I'd have to pay to try to bring the HAL experience anywhere near the Oceania one! I figured we'd eat in their specialty restaurant most nights, but there's a fee for that, plus an even higher fee for their special Le Cirque dinner. They charge a corkage fee just to bring wine onboard (other than one free bottle), unlike O where I can bring all I want onboard and only pay corkage if I bring it to the dining room. Soft drinks all cost money...so I'd have to buy a drink package, or get nickel-and-dimed.

I finally realized it was crazy to try to figure out all these ways to maximize the HAL cruise experience, and end up paying almost the same amount for a lesser experience overall, on an inferior ship. I started comparing photos of the ship interior, and the Riviera is just such a gorgeous ship...no comparison to the HAL ship. Our cabin will be a bit smaller, but we will have a veranda so I'm okay with it.

So I just wanted to say thanks for starting these threads! Really helped me make my final decision. And...O it is.

You made a good decision. Holland America can be a good value but their food, service and ship condition has slipped to an embarrassing level. Oceania is worth the extra money for the product delivered.

• 4 months later...

I have cruised probably 4 times on HAL and don't recall a problem with the food. I also don't remember any of it being memorable, either.

What I really object on HAL, and the reason we switched to Oceania, is that you have assigned dining times and seating, and there are formal nights.

My husband won't do formal, and for me it presents a packing nightmare. I know you don't have to eat in the dining room on those nights if you don't want to do formal, but I object to being excluded for not choosing to do formal.

Anyway, we so much prefer the Oceania experience.

What I really object on HAL, and the reason we switched to Oceania, is that you have assigned dining times and seating, and there are formal nights.

We didn't have assigned times on HAL. The Statendam and the Veendam offered both. Formal nights were not overly formal. I still like Oceania better. :)

I get emails from my travel agent on all cruise specials and just reviewed one for the HAL Explorer 4 special going on now. I have never sailed HAL but was amazed at how inexpensive it is....I mean cheap (as Dave said)!! I have no intentions of booking with HAL but is it really that bad?!

After my last HAL trip I came to the conclusion that it was just pot luck if the ship would be in working shape, food/service would work ect. I do not want to gamble my vacation money so I would never sail them again. I would say in the HAL price range X is a good choice, want better Oceania is a good choice, however I would only sail on the large ships. I have tried some of the "Luxury Lines" and decided the bump up in price, which can really be large, is not worth it for me.

Edited by hypercafe

After my last HAL trip I came to the conclusion that it was just pot luck if the ship would be in working shape, food/service would work ect. I do not want to gamble my vacation money so I would never sail them again. I would say in the HAL price range X is a good choice, want better Oceania is a good choice, however I would only sail on the large ships. I have tried some of the "Luxury Lines" and decided the bump up in price, which can really be large, is not worth it for me.

Agreed! I've only sailed on the Riviera/Marina (will be boarding Riviera for my 5th cruise on Aug 5 for 14 nights and can't wait).

It's always tempting to look elsewhere and see the cheaper fares but I agree, I don't want to risk it.

I see you've sailed Crystal....I've always wanted to try them. Considering them for a 2017 Transatlantic. I figured since there are no ports I wouldn't mind the fixed dinner seating as much.

Joe

We sailed the Eurodam last yr (chartered cruise)

We found buffet the food was hot & not as bad as I had expected ;)

Nothing was grand but we did not starve

they had fresh made garlic bread at the pasta station YUMMY

Desserts were better or at par with O

We ate at one of the pay restaurants (well a section in the buffet area )

Canaletto ...the food was very good there I think it was $10 or $20 PP

We never got to try the MDR as we had late sitting & early show so by the time the show was over at 7:30pm we just went to the buffet

It may depend on the ship/crew about the service just like on Oceania

Our worse cruise on O was on the Riviera ...go figure

JMO

Agreed! I've only sailed on the Riviera/Marina (will be boarding Riviera for my 5th cruise on Aug 5 for 14 nights and can't wait).

It's always tempting to look elsewhere and see the cheaper fares but I agree, I don't want to risk it.

I see you've sailed Crystal....I've always wanted to try them. Considering them for a 2017 Transatlantic. I figured since there are no ports I wouldn't mind the fixed dinner seating as much.

Joe

Yes, we have tried Crystal. What is a deal breaker for me is that there is nothing like the Terrace open at night. We really enjoy a casual, spontaneous dinner outside sometimes. I have never found one as nice as the terrace. Also the Crystal Dinning room IMO is very noisy and chaotic as it houses both fixed and dinning by reservation, not my idear of a luxury dinning experience.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app