To Tux or not to Tux..........

clamar

I have four or five high end suits in my closet. Plus some very nice dress shirts, ties, and dress shoes. They still fit, well perhaps a bit looser now.

Have not worn any of them for the past three years. Don't really want to either, let alone pack them up and take them on vacation with me. This does not mean that I dress like a tramp when we travel. Would not consider renting a tux let alone buying one.

Maybe there is a generational or a demographic slant to this.

Edited by iancal

I think a tux is lighter than a suit. LOL

It depends on the suit really. A tuxedo has either a vest (waistcoat) or a cummerbund. A two piece suit would not. The difference can add up to several ounces.

About the same. Though the Tux has all the items that go with it. I predict that it will not be long until formal night will say - dress "country club casual"

It already has on quite a few lines. If we didn’t like formal nights, we'd select a different cruise line. DSIL & DBIL just got off an 8 day Norwegian cruise this morning. I'm pretty sure it was the Gem out of NYC. DSIL sent DW a text which said, and I quote, "Apparently new white sneakers, jeans and an Ed Hardy t-shirt are the new formal."

There's something for everyone. You really only run into problems when you're the vegetarian at the steakhouse.

It depends on the suit really. A tuxedo has either a vest (waistcoat) or a cummerbund. A two piece suit would not. The difference can add up to several ounces.

Well, I can certainly see how that is a deal breaker. *sarcasm font*

Just admit it, you don't WANT to wear a tux. It's OK...a lot of people feel that way. It is a shame, but it is the truth.

But this "airline baggage rules" stuff is just the excuse.

Edited by JPH814

I'm late to reply, but for what is it worth, I was on the Westerdam the end of March to the Caribbean. There was not one tux on formal nights. There were a few ties and jackets, but mostly slacks and shirts. I did not see any women dressed in sparkles, bling or formal. I dressed formal on one of the formal nights, but I felt like I was the only one. I will not do that again. It took up too much room in my suitcase.

Just admit it, you don't WANT to wear a tux. It's OK...a lot of people feel that way. It is a shame, but it is the truth.

Let me get this right. Are you shaming someone who doesn't want to wear a tux? Really?

We saw lots of tuxes on our recent cruise, not so many long gowns but certainly nice cocktail dresses. Of the long gowns we saw, they were gorgeous. People did tend to dress up a little more even on smart casual nights. I did see one man allowed in without a jacket one night - very surprising. And one man turned away for trying to come in (not on formal night) wearing shorts. But he quickly changed.

I have to agree with the comments. If one really wants to wear a tux, he will. Depending on how many formal nights come up on our Baltic Cruise, I may dust off my tux and bring it along. Tom

Longer Cruise = More people wearing Tuxes or Formal dress. Those taking 7 day cruises are just not bringing formal clothing. The comment made about doing a recent 7 day Caribbean and not seeing anyone dressed Formal on Formal night is very common. Those in Open Dining and Early Dining tend to have less, late dining might have a few more dressed up. Alaska tends to get even fewer people dressed up for Formal nights, between packing warmer clothing, hiking apparel/Alaska excursions clothing the formal wear gets tossed aside.

Then someone mentioned about the difference in packing a tux over a regular suit.... well I am not a guy but per my husband and he does is his own packing. There are the separate tux shoes that are different from his other dress shoes, there is the box that holds his various button covers/cuff links, then different bow ties, vests and cummerbunds. We are in the process of getting ready for our cruise to Alaska in less than 3 weeks and just yesterday spent $67 at the Dry cleaners with his Tux and other items then went to Men's Warehouse where they had two for one Tux shirts but that was still $60.00 for two. For the average cruiser that the 7 day cruise is a once in a life time thing they are not about to go spend the money for Formal Wear that most likely will not be worn again. Those that do long 14 day+ cruises are most likely avid cruisers and already have lots of Formal wear they have already invested in.. But interestingly enough the avid cruising breed is dying off and a new breed of cruisers has started up and they start with the 7 day cruise that they see no one dressing for Formal Nights. So that is the norm to them.

This thread could resurface in another 5 years and I think you will find some of the answers quite different ;)

Longer Cruise = More people wearing Tuxes or Formal dress. Those taking 7 day cruises are just not bringing formal clothing. The comment made about doing a recent 7 day Caribbean and not seeing anyone dressed Formal on Formal night is very common. Those in Open Dining and Early Dining tend to have less, late dining might have a few more dressed up. Alaska tends to get even fewer people dressed up for Formal nights, between packing warmer clothing, hiking apparel/Alaska excursions clothing the formal wear gets tossed aside.

Then someone mentioned about the difference in packing a tux over a regular suit.... well I am not a guy but per my husband and he does is his own packing. There are the separate tux shoes that are different from his other dress shoes, there is the box that holds his various button covers/cuff links, then different bow ties, vests and cummerbunds. We are in the process of getting ready for our cruise to Alaska in less than 3 weeks and just yesterday spent $67 at the Dry cleaners with his Tux and other items then went to Men's Warehouse where they had two for one Tux shirts but that was still $60.00 for two. For the average cruiser that the 7 day cruise is a once in a life time thing they are not about to go spend the money for Formal Wear that most likely will not be worn again. Those that do long 14 day+ cruises are most likely avid cruisers and already have lots of Formal wear they have already invested in.. But interestingly enough the avid cruising breed is dying off and a new breed of cruisers has started up and they start with the 7 day cruise that they see no one dressing for Formal Nights. So that is the norm to them.

This thread could resurface in another 5 years and I think you will find some of the answers quite different ;)

Thank you for posting this information. You are a reliable and knowledgeable source who I find helpful.

Edited by qsuzi

there is the box that holds his various button covers/cuff links, then different bow ties, vests and cummerbunds.

I put the studs and cuff links in a small zip lock bag that goes in the breast pocket of the tux. I then roll the cummerbunds and bow ties, stick them into a zip lock (leave a little air in for a cusion), and insert the bag into one of DH's tux shoes. Really, if a man wants to bring a tux, there's always a way to manage it - if not, there are a hundred reasons why.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I was sharing posts from this thread with DH. He said "You know it would be kind of cool to wear a real Tux, and not just my regular dress suit." I told him we don't have to commit to buying a Tux just yet, they have formal wear rental on HAL and other cruise lines. So he rented a Tux. His idea. :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I was sharing posts from this thread with DH. He said "You know it would be kind of cool to wear a real Tux, and not just my regular dress suit." I told him we don't have to commit to buying a Tux just yet, they have formal wear rental on HAL and other cruise lines. So he rented a Tux. His idea. Lorie

He's going to look as dashing as 007 on formal nights - be sure to have photos taken, either by the ship photogs or have other guests take pics using your own camera. You won't regret it.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Let me get this right. Are you shaming someone who doesn't want to wear a tux? Really?

Not at all.

I am lamenting the fact that people do not want to wear formal attire. It is an idea and an era which is regrettably passing.

I am also debunking the concept that bringing a tux is made more difficult by airlines charging more for baggage. A suite jacket, pants and shirt takes up the same room as a tux jacket, pants and formal shirt. Most do not wear "formal" shoes, but just whatever black shoes they normally have. Bow tie versus straight tie? a push. Studs and cufflinks? Really? so that leaves the cummerbund or vest -The only real incremental item.

People using baggage as the reason is using it as an excuse..

Interesting, you hear and read much less about women using this excuse. Formal attire for women (long dresses vs. short) is much more a capacity issue than for men. Why is it not an issue, because more women WANT to be dressed up.

So just admit it guys, you do not want to go formal. Be honest.

From my other post:

A suite jacket, pants and shirt takes up the same room as a tux jacket, pants and formal shirt. Most do not wear "formal" shoes, but just whatever black shoes they normally have. Bow tie versus straight tie? a push. Studs and cufflinks? Really? so that leaves the cummerbund or vest -The only real incremental item.

Not at all.

I am lamenting the fact that people do not want to wear formal attire. It is an idea and an era which is regrettably passing.

I am also debunking the concept that bringing a tux is made more difficult by airlines charging more for baggage. A suite jacket, pants and shirt takes up the same room as a tux jacket, pants and formal shirt. Most do not wear "formal" shoes, but just whatever black shoes they normally have. Bow tie versus straight tie? a push. Studs and cufflinks? Really? so that leaves the cummerbund or vest -The only real incremental item.

Interesting, you hear and read much less about women using this excuse. Formal attire for women (long dresses vs. short) is much more a capacity issue than for men. Why is it not an issue, because more women WANT to be dressed up.

Thanks for clarifying.

Er um....the first time we skipped a cruise formal night (many years ago) was at my wife's suggestion. I am not sure why some people think that wives are desperate to go formal and husbands are not.

On our recent land/cruise trip, she was the first to say let's forget about formal nights in the MDR and the clothes that go with it. We went casual, skipped the MDR zoo, and dined in alternate venues.

But I agree with her completely. After years of wearing suits the very last thing that I want to wear on vacation is a suit, let alone a tux.

This is what is good about cruise lines. They provide an option for both. It is primarily the minority of people on this board that appear to have a problem with it

Edited by iancal

Not at all.

I am speaking as a women that DOES NOT want to dress up. I have enjoyed far too many recent Norwegian Cruises in Suites and Haven and Not packed Formal wear to find that I truly really enjoy my vacation far more. Formal Nights going away does not mean that those that want to wear Formal attire cannot. I counted far more men wearing a tux on my last NCL cruise than I did my last HAL Caribbean and Alaska cruises. But no one is looking down and treating those not dressed formal like they are are not good enough. Or vise versa those dressed up to the nines are not treated differently at all. There is absolutely no reason that both cannot exist. But those who like this very old traditional just cannot see that both can be happy. I honestly do not care one way or the other if someone else is not dressed, frankly it is NOT my concern nor does it ruin the atmosphere :rolleyes:

Trust me our luggage will be a good 10 pounds heavier going to Alaska than our last NCL cruise and YES you are correct both husband and I DO NOT want to dress Formal but we are taking our Formal attire DH his Tux and even have a designer sequined Formal wear.

I am speaking as a women that DOES NOT want to dress up. I have enjoyed far too many recent Norwegian Cruises in Suites and Haven and Not packed Formal wear to find that I truly really enjoy my vacation far more. Formal Nights going away does not mean that those that want to wear Formal attire cannot. I counted far more men wearing a tux on my last NCL cruise than I did my last HAL Caribbean and Alaska cruises. But no one is looking down and treating those not dressed formal like they are are not good enough. Or vise versa those dressed up to the nines are not treated differently at all. There is absolutely no reason that both cannot exist. But those who like this very old traditional just cannot see that both can be happy. I honestly do not care one way or the other if someone else is not dressed, frankly it is NOT my concern nor does it ruin the atmosphere :rolleyes:

Trust me our luggage will be a good 10 pounds heavier going to Alaska than our last NCL cruise and YES you are correct both husband and I DO NOT want to dress Formal but we are taking our Formal attire DH his Tux and even have a designer sequined Formal wear.

I agree that there is absolutely no reason that both cannot exist. Why does it really matter if one does not want to take a tux, WHATEVER the reason.

Presently sailing on Oosterdam which formal dress code has been lessened for men to sports coat without tie is all that is required on this cruise. Have even seen exceptions to that.

Probably 5 per cent of men in tux if that. Great service and pretty good food is the norm.

Presently sailing on Oosterdam which formal dress code has been lessened for men to sports coat without tie is all that is required on this cruise. Have even seen exceptions to that.

Probably 5 per cent of men in tux if that. Great service and pretty good food is the norm.

Not a surprise Chief, I think this trend is becoming the norm. Unfortunately many do not want to except this.

Glad to hear all is going well and good food [emoji106]🏻

I miss sailing the ms "O" [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tux is like a uniform. You wear it on formal evenings. There is no need to dress it up with different cummerbunds and bowties each time: it's called black tie for a reason.

My first tux was tailored for me in 2012, and only cost maybe $350. My second one was made with better fabric and details, and cost maybe $550. You don't have to spend thousands on them and you can still look like a million bucks.

I used a Canada-based online tailor, that does mostly business with USA customers.

There is absolutely no reason that both cannot exist. But those who like this very old traditional just cannot see that both can be happy. I honestly do not care one way or the other if someone else is not dressed, frankly it is NOT my concern nor does it ruin the atmosphere.

I'm going to say, very gently, that (on formal night) it does affect the atmosphere and my enjoyment if men are not wearing at least coats and ties. Just as it would if I had a view of a gas station or if the tablecloth had holes or if the placemat were paper with ads printed on it. It decreases the ambiance of elegance that I so enjoy and is so rare to find.

On a 7 day port-intensive Med cruise last fall we didn't want to bother dressing up so we just ate in the Lido on formal night.

Tuxes are optional -- but. guys, you look so hot in them.;)

Different countries, different etiquette rules for "formal" wear...

Here in Belgium, a Tuxedo is VERY rarely seen. Even formal affairs like weddings do not see tuxedos but stylish suits.

I personally look like "the Pinguin" from Batman in a Tuxedo ( my wife words, not mine😳) so I wear a dark suit.

I agree though that Formal night is a cruising tradition,one that for us is part of the whole experience and part of the differentiation with land-based vacations.

• 4 months later...

On August 15, 2015 Holland America announced the following changes to the dress code:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

• Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

And this:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which

permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts